June 30 - July 7 Trip

Deb1993

Mouseketeer
We headed down to Florida June 30th from New York with my family DH, DD 18, DS 15, DS 14, MIL, FIL and SIL. Flight was delayed going down but not too bad. Tony Hinds (Art) picked us up and after a snafu with MIL taking wrong luggage off plane, we were finally on our way to the Portofino for a week at Universal. We stopped at Publix on the way and got water, creamer and some crackers, pretzels. I had booked three rooms, all under the same last name, and no matter how many times I spoke with hotel, somehow me and DH got the handicapped room when it should have been MIL and FIL who both were using scooters and don't get around very well. I would end up needing the handicapped room later in the week, so maybe the hotel knew what it was doing after all. LOL In laws had to move to a different room after the first night and that was a bit of an issue, but hotel resolved everything.

I had tweaked my back in the shower the day we left - I have a history of back issues - so I was a bit hobbled but was powering on. We went to the park on the 1st - we always start at Studios to ride Mummy - always the first ride we go on. We got MIL to ride it for the first time - she was a rock star and so willing to try new things. She liked it but said it was a one and done for her.

Thankfully this board recommended dining reservations and we had lunch and dinner reservations every day because FIL likes to eat. We ate at Finnegan's, Vivo, NBC Grill, Confisco, Antojitos, Cowfish, Trattoria, Sal's. We loved everything and did a few of the places more than once. We saw people without reservations being turned away so I was very glad that I had listened to the folks on the boards here.

My back was really hurting so I had a massage at Mandara Spa, which was lovely, but didn't help. What also didn't help was going on Hulk, Hagrids and the Velocicoaster. Oh my - I came off the Velocicoaster and couldn't walk. I tried another massage where I needed help getting off the table when it was done and then tried the pool, figuring the weightlessness might help - it didn't - and then asked my DH to please take me to the hospital. We ended up at Dr. Phillips Hospital where I was admitted. I was discharged after a day with 3 prescriptions and powered on, although my family would not let me back on Hulk or Velocicoaster. I did do Hagrids a bunch of times and Mummy and Gringotts. My MIL went on Hagrids and Gringotts as well and liked them both.

The weather was not too hot because it rained a lot, but we were fine with that. It definitely made things a little more bearable for me because I have blood clots in both lungs after getting the first vaccine and was hospitalized almost a week with acute respiratory failure. The doc that took care of me in the hospital then was also going to be in Universal the same time and said I could go on everything, just no screaming. I tend to smile during rides so no issues there. I do get winded easily now but really had no problem with that - it was just my back. It's always something, right?

Overall, it was a great trip and we had fun with family. My MIL and FIL being in late 70's early 80's it is probably the final time that they'll come with us to a theme park so we were glad to spend the time with them, although the beep beep of backing up scooters is still in my head - I hear it everywhere now!! They got their scooters tied up with each other a few times and we all laughed our heads off.

My DD and I are going back next month for a 5 night trip just the two of us before she leaves for school - she'll be a freshman at RIT studying Engineering and playing women's basketball - with the dream of becoming a theme park engineer. Theme parks are her happy place - especially Universal parks. I am hoping to have whatever issue with my back resolved by then because we plan to ride everything!!

Sorry if this was a rambling mess!! Thanks for reading!!

Thank you for sharing your report. I am sorry you had so much trouble with your back, but I am glad you were able to make the best of things regardless. Your MIL puts me to shame; I don't think I will be brave enough to try half the rides she went on.

Thank you for your report. Sorry you had such trouble with your back☹️

We will be at Portofino in 2 weeks for 5 nights. I have lunch reservations each day but really don’t want to book dinners too. How would you say dining at Portofino was? Do you need reservations at Trattoria? (thinking breakfast so hopefully not)
Was there much of a wait at Sal‘s or the food at the pool bar?

I want to remain flexible in the evenings since we have little kids but will book dinners if it’s really necessary.
Thanks!

Thank you for your report. Sorry you had such trouble with your back☹

We will be at Portofino in 2 weeks for 5 nights. I have lunch reservations each day but really don’t want to book dinners too. How would you say dining at Portofino was? Do you need reservations at Trattoria? (thinking breakfast so hopefully not)
Was there much of a wait at Sal‘s or the food at the pool bar?

I want to remain flexible in the evenings since we have little kids but will book dinners if it’s really necessary.
Thanks!
We had reservations at Trattoria because we were 8 people but didn't really need them. It was never crowded. We went to Sal's at 5pm or so and there was no wait, we got tables quickly. We ate and drank at Splendido and had no trouble getting our food or drinks. I think it depends where you want to eat in the evenings. From what I saw at CityWalk restaurants they were not accepting folks who didn't have a reservation.

Sounds like a lovely trip although what a shame your back gave you so many issues on it. But, to end up at the hospital, must have been dreadful. Hope you`re doing better now.

Your Mil and FiL sound quite amazing too.....I`m glad to hear you had the time with them if it is their last trip with you to the parks. And glad you enjoyed your food choices.

You have a lovely trip to look forward to with your DD....I remember you mentioning before about her Engineering and also doing Basketball......all good wishes to her for the next few years and so glad you had a good trip all things considered........:)

Sounds like a lovely trip although what a shame your back gave you so many issues on it. But, to end up at the hospital, must have been dreadful. Hope you`re doing better now.

Your Mil and FiL sound quite amazing too.....I`m glad to hear you had the time with them if it is their last trip with you to the parks. And glad you enjoyed your food choices.

You have a lovely trip to look forward to with your DD....I remember you mentioning before about her Engineering and also doing Basketball......all good wishes to her for the next few years and so glad you had a good trip all things considered........:)
Thank you! DH and I never did get to Strong Water, which was such a highlight from our last trip - a place I only knew about from your trip reports that I enjoy so much. Maybe next time.

Thank you for sharing your trip experience. Sending you positive vibes for a pain free visit with your daughter.

Wow! I keep thinking that I'm getting to an age where I'll need to think about not doing coasters and I'm only 51! Your MIL makes me feel worthless and weak!! :) (Although, I have had a kidney transplant and have a lot of health issues...it's my defense and I'm sticking with it!)

Thanks for the TR, glad you had fun but so sorry for all of your back problems!

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing!
Sorry about your back pain and I hope you feel great for your trip w/your daughter!
Your vacation sounded wonderful except for the back pain.
Always nice memories when you travel w/extended family.

Wow! I keep thinking that I'm getting to an age where I'll need to think about not doing coasters and I'm only 51! Your MIL makes me feel worthless and weak!! :) (Although, I have had a kidney transplant and have a lot of health issues...it's my defense and I'm sticking with it!)

Thanks for the TR, glad you had fun ut so sorry for all of your back problems!
i know!! I'm only 54 and have had back problems for over 30 years. Normally I just power through but this was next level. I won't stop riding the coasters though - they are just too much fun!! My MIL is funny - during the backwards part on Hagrid's my daughter, who was riding on the bike part, looked over to ask if she was alright and my MIL said - well I don't really have a choice now do I. LOL She was a good sport definitely.

Thank you for sharing!
Sorry about your back pain and I hope you feel great for your trip w/your daughter!
Your vacation sounded wonderful except for the back pain.
Always nice memories when you travel w/extended family.
Thank you - I've stepped up walking and stretching - we are so excited for our trip. It was a really nice trip - my in-laws definitely had a great time - that's one thing about Universal is that you can separate and do your own thing and just walk or boat, or in their case, scooter back to the hotel whenever you want. When the kids were younger we went to Disney a lot and it was always a hassle if you wanted to go back to a park - we stayed in timeshares. We just find Universal to have so much more flexibility. Thanks for reading!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter