Just a (work) vent...

Sometimes you do need to fall on the sword. Do you use an outlook calendar? I block off time often for assignments I need to work on. I will also set me to show as free, but at least the project note is there and a good reminder. Sometimes I will even set it up for several days so I do not forger to complete.

Hope things get better quickly.

My company has a Zero Operational Errors procedure that must be followed, even when updating a test environment. It means that the person who is making the change needs to have the changes reviewed by a second set of eyes before it is uploaded.

The policy also has other steps to avoid issues, such as, a new person must not make changes without a seasoned person sitting next to them... even virtually... then the second set of eyes is brought on to review what was done. However, it also gives you the right to jump your level of authority when you feel confident to perform an update for which you technically don't have authority when no one else is available during a critical update.

The training on this is twice a year and takes about 90 minutes to complete. I never touch the systems, but I still have to take the training.

Sounds like your company should consider this approach.

My company has a Zero Operational Errors procedure that must be followed, even when updating a test environment. It means that the person who is making the change needs to have the changes reviewed by a second set of eyes before it is uploaded.

The policy also has other steps to avoid issues, such as, a new person must not make changes without a seasoned person sitting next to them... even virtually... then the second set of eyes is brought on to review what was done. However, it also gives you the right to jump your level of authority when you feel confident to perform an update for which you technically don't have authority when no one else is available during a critical update.

The training on this is twice a year and takes about 90 minutes to complete. I never touch the systems, but I still have to take the training.

Sounds like your company should consider this approach.
While that would be nice, I'm not confident enough in my standing to suggest that yet. I don't want to go into the details of how the company is set up. But let me just say, when I have a "good" day (or week) and feeling pretty good about my abilities, I quickly get humbled. This was yet another example.

Sometimes you do need to fall on the sword. Do you use an outlook calendar? I block off time often for assignments I need to work on. I will also set me to show as free, but at least the project note is there and a good reminder. Sometimes I will even set it up for several days so I do not forger to complete.

Hope things get better quickly.
I do use Outlook (and Google) calendars. I just didn't mark this down because "Oh, I'll remember it". :crazy: Famous last words. And I actually try to put EVERYTHING on the calendar, just a moment when my ego got the better of me.

Sorry. It always stinks when you mess up. I've been at my job 24 years and it still happens sometimes. In January I upset a client on the last day of work before Disney vacation. I was just sick about it, and upset that my vacation would be marred because I would keep thinking about it. I told my boss, he did what he could, and it seems by now the clients are fine. But I spent a lot of time stewing over it and wishing for a redo. Hope yours gets resolved too and you can feel better about it soon.

I'm so sorry! I hope it works out and that you can put it behind you. I feel myself having more of these moments as I get older!

This too shall pass. I used to get sooo upset over things related to my job. I try to do the best job I can, but things happen, we're human. Now it's like no matter what else happens in my career, or my life, I'm positive I won't be on my deathbed regretting some error that I made for an employer for whom I was an expendable 'asset' anyway. The fact that you're bothered so much by it is a sign to me that you're a conscientious employee, and if they don't appreciate that, another employer will. Hang in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter