Just back - AKL!

MinnieGi

DVC/BWV
Hi everyone!
We just came back from 7 night at the AKL, Feb 1st - 8th. We really loved the AKL!!!!! It is a beautiful hotel with a very nice staff and very yummy eating options.

We had reserved a standard view room with an AP rate of $109.00 and we were upgraded to a pool view room. We did have a problem with our first room. It backed up to the elevators and unfortunely my DH did not sleep well that first night b/c he kept hearing all the movement from the shaft. He went down to the desk first thing the next morning and they transferred our room to the fourth floor not anywhere near the elevator. And boy our new room had the most awesome view of the pool! I love to sit out on the balcony in the morning and after DD goes to sleep so I really enjoyed our new view. We were also surprised to see our new room had an extra dresser in the front of the room that our old room did not. It seems like most rooms had the extra dresser, not sure why our first room did not have the space for it. Our new room on the fourth floor was also next to a set of windows that let you see out on one side to the savannah and the other to the pool area. It was very ideal to view both sides.

I spent quite a bit of time exploring the hotel and all the viewing areas. DH usually took a nap with DD and at this time I would go and explore. I was able to view and take lots of great pictures of all the animals on the different savannahs. The lobby of the hotel is just gorgeous and filled with interesting African artifacts as are the atrium areas of the wings. Of course throughout the resort in inside and out light African music is playing that was very soothing.

The weather was very ideal during our week and we were able to use the pool quite a bit. We loved the zero-depth entry especially for 2yo DD. The pool area is gorgeous. They had a nice supply of swim vests on hand for all the children. Every afternoon the pool staff would lead the children in water activities and games.

This hotel seemed to have quite a few resort activities going on at all different times of the day. I don't remember as many activities at the other WDW resorts we have stayed in.

The cm animal guides were very sweet and always helpful with any questions about the animals you had.

The bus transportation was also very good. Our longest wait was 10 minutes for a bus. Most of the time it was much shorter. In the morning we often found a bus waiting to take us to AK or MK or just a few minutes wait for a bus to MGM or Epcot. We couldn't believe our luck on Sat. night after watching the MK 9:00 Spectro parade, there was a bus waiting for us and still plenty of seats available.

We enjoyed the Boma buffet dinner very much and got in without a ps and only a few minutes wait. The Mara counter service and "grab and go" area is set up well and has lots of seating. We didn't try Jiko, but the food choices looked very yummy there as well.

If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them. I highly recommend the AKL for a stay!! :)

Gi

I noticed that you have stayed at Wilderness Lodge. How does it compare to AKL?

We are thinking of staying at either WL or AKL when we go this year.

Thanks

Hi MinnieGI... oh you make me want to be at AKL right now.

I love pool views - but of course DD wanted savanna view - which makes sense... she loves animals...

Great that you had a good time and they accommodated you in a quieter room. I agree the zero entry pool is excellent for little ones and elderly people a well.

>>^..^<<

Glad to hear you enjoyed AKL! We loved our stay last February so much we're going back this Wednesday for 6 nights. I am so excited to be going back there! :D

jlieblaw - Both WL and AKL are very nice, but hands down we all liked AKL better. DH and I talked about the comparison on the trip quite a bit. AKL in our opinion just seems to be laid out better. Their counter service and grab and go market is much bigger and easier to get around. The curved hallways make it feel smaller and closer than the wing we were in at WL. And the AKL pool is really awesome and very large plus has zero entry. The pool area itself just seems much more spacious than at WL's too and it really gave off an oasis feeling. AKL had a nicer playground and of course the sightings of animals is just sooo cool. We liked that AKL does not share any buses with another resort, WL does share. Now the boat ride to MK from WL was really nice, but in our opinion that is the only feature that we like better about WL.

We also liked that AKL's restaurants are not on lobby level, this gives the lobby a quieter feel, very relaxing. Ice machine locations seemed to be more frequent at AKL too and even elevator placement was a more convenient layout.

We also felt the cm's we encountered at AKL were much more friendly than the WL cm's. Now not that we didn't have nice cm's at WL, but I can't even think of a cm that was not great at AKL! And I mean from the mousekeeping staff to the restaurants, pool staff, front desk, market staff, to the bell staff everyone at AKL was very friendly. :)

>>^..^<< - I want to go back too! Glad you had a great stay there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter