Just Back and Have Some Gossip

I just cant believe Four Seasons will get boat access to Bay Lake-that will be a huge draw for off site quests (not for us though) IMHO.

When I asked the DVC rep at the Contemporary he said that a DVC rep had been fired for talking about the new building. They would not confirm or deny and claimed that they had no knowledge of it. The entire site has been cleared and is clearly more than a refurb of the old buildiing.

DVC faces legal problems if anyone talks (speculates) about something happening. It has to be officially announced.

When I was in the service I heard a saying that is valid. Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

I agree DVCLiz, This will be the first unthemed DVC resort. No thanks! I am not willing to loose theaming just to get monorail access. Theaming is the main thing that sets DVC apart from other timeshares.

I bet they'll theme the resort somehow. It may not be outward theming, but I think they'll do something. It just wouldn't be in Disney or DVC style to abondon all theming. Though, I argue SSR isn't heavily themed either.

I'm excited for a MK area DVC. Do I care between Poly and CR? No, not really. I'm a CR fan because of previous trip memories not because of style or location. I just would not want a Grand Floridian DVC. I don't like the atmosphere of that hotel personally.

Anyway, back to my point - I believe even if they move forward with the current crescent design and its DVC - it'll be themed in some fashion. And I sincerely hope its themed as the Contemporary was back in 1972 - innovative and futuristic in accommodations and design (at least inside).

DVC faces legal problems if anyone talks (speculates) about something happening. It has to be officially announced.

When I was in the service I heard a saying that is valid. Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

Well, the driver didn't present it as fact, just "what I heard".

I agree though...I don't believe anything till I see it. But it is fun to speculate & ruminate.

I bet they'll theme the resort somehow. It may not be outward theming, but I think they'll do something. It just wouldn't be in Disney or DVC style to abondon all theming. Though, I argue SSR isn't heavily themed either.

I'm excited for a MK area DVC. Do I care between Poly and CR? No, not really. I'm a CR fan because of previous trip memories not because of style or location. I just would not want a Grand Floridian DVC. I don't like the atmosphere of that hotel personally.

Anyway, back to my point - I believe even if they move forward with the current crescent design and its DVC - it'll be themed in some fashion. And I sincerely hope its themed as the Contemporary was back in 1972 - innovative and futuristic in accommodations and design (at least inside).

Well, they have themed all the hotel-connected DVCs to the hotel area they are connected to so far, so I bet they will have some sort of "contemporary-ish" (is that a word???;) ) themeing.

The Contemporary Resort was themed from Day One to the American Southwest. All built around the Mary Blair mural on the elevator shafts and the name "Grand Canyon Concourse" which was to compare the 9 story atrium to standing on the rim on the canyon. There were artificial trees which combined with the natural light to enhance this feeling.

Most of this theming was lost in the 1985 room renovation which removed the American Indian motif and replaced it with a pastel color scheme. The 1990s reno of the rooms and public area went for a wild color scheme which most people here are familiar with. The most recent renovation combines a sleek Contemporary look highlighted by the earthy tones that were prevalent in the resorts early years.

The Outer Rim lounge is the only F&B outlet to retain its name from that original theming.

The Fiesta Fun Center, formerly themed to the Three Caballeros movie, was a victim of the 1990s renovation being renamed the Food n Fun Center and removing all theming.

The Coconino Cove Lounge & Pueblo Room restaurant were swallowed up and combined with the Terrace Cafe to become Chef mickeys.

The second floor convention rooms formerly were named after Southwest landmarks and were renamed when the new convention center opened.

I think the current changes happening now with the public space will work together to provide some cohesive direction to the resorts theming, and I think whatever the interior design of the new building, whether DVC or not, will definitely work together to acheive this effect.

I just cant believe Four Seasons will get boat access to Bay Lake-that will be a huge draw for off site quests (not for us though) IMHO.

Why would that be so hard to believe, Swan and Dolphin got it.

No, I won't be banging my head about buying in AKLV at all! We are happy with our two resorts. I don't like it being that busy, even if it is on the monorail. The monorail sometimes gets so crowded, you can't breathe! I prefer other means of travel and a slower pace!

I would agree that not everyone wants to stay right in the thick of things. I can appreciate the CR for its history etc. but it doesn't appeal to me in a visual sense...never did like that whole "modern/contemporary" feel.
I think the Contemporary takes enough hits just because the way it looks from the outside which is not fair. If that's what you think of it well it's your opinion which I do respect, however here is something else to keep in mind. Other Resorts like the Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club may look nice on the outside, but the inside they don't look like anything special. My family and I have visited those three Resorts from the inside of them I remember the lobby check-in and hallways which go in both directions that would lead to some gift shops (in the Yacht and Beach Club) and directions to the elevators. The Contemporary has the 4th floor concourse level with Chef Mickey's, Concourse Steakhouse, Bay View Gifts store, the arcade and the Monorail station. Plus you are able to see the Express Monorail go right threw, those are some things other WDW Resorts don't have and that is what the main theme to the Contemporary is.

Why would that be so hard to believe, Swan and Dolphin got it.

Thats a good point, although whats the history on that? Wasn't it some odd occurance and finally taken over WDW or something. I guess granting access to Bay Lake may very well be out of WDW's control for all I know or something they embrace.

I think the Contemporary takes enough hits just because the way it looks from the outside which is not fair. If that's what you think of it well it's your opinion which I do respect, however here is something else to keep in mind. Other Resorts like the Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club may look nice on the outside, but the inside they don't look like anything special. My family and I have visited those three Resorts from the inside of them I remember the lobby check-in and hallways which go in both directions that would lead to some gift shops (in the Yacht and Beach Club) and directions to the elevators. The Contemporary has the 4th floor concourse level with Chef Mickey's, Concourse Steakhouse, Bay View Gifts store, the arcade and the Monorail station. Plus you are able to see the Express Monorail go right threw, those are some things other WDW Resorts don't have and that is what the main theme to the Contemporary is.

Actually, I have always the the Contemporary looked pretty cool from the outside...it's just that the themeing of it doesn't appeal to me. I like a hotel with a homier and more tropical theme, so I really feel like I am on vacation.

That being said, I wouldn't say no to staying at the Contemporary if it was offered to me.

Actually, I have always the the Contemporary looked pretty cool from the outside...it's just that the themeing of it doesn't appeal to me. I like a hotel with a homier and more tropical theme, so I really feel like I am on vacation.

That being said, I wouldn't say no to staying at the Contemporary if it was offered to me.
Well I still say the major themeing of the Contemporary is on the inside of the 4th floor where there are a lot of things going on. I will also say again the Contemporary is the only Resort to have the Express Monorail go right threw it, so that there is another major part of their theme.

Thats a good point, although whats the history on that? Wasn't it some odd occurance and finally taken over WDW or something. I guess granting access to Bay Lake may very well be out of WDW's control for all I know or something they embrace.

Or something they are paying for.....

I'm sure the Swan and Dolphin pay WDW a hefty fee for sharing transportation.

Or something they are paying for.....

I'm sure the Swan and Dolphin pay WDW a hefty fee for sharing transportation.

And if it is true that Four Seasons will have boat access to the MK, I am sure they will pay too. :thumbsup2

I agree DVCLiz, This will be the first unthemed DVC resort. No thanks! I am not willing to loose theaming just to get monorail access. Theaming is the main thing that sets DVC apart from other timeshares.

And that is my feeling about the Contemporary. It is the one WDW resort which lacks a cohesive theme. The value resorts are far better themed than the Contemporary.

Asianway posted some interesting information about how the original theme was lost over the years.

Frankly, even with the renovation of the 4th floor, I don't see a theme. It's just a mid tier hotel with some decent views.

I'll take the BW, BC/YC any day as they are far better themed deluxe resorts. Each is evocative of the era or location it represents.

The Contemporary only evokes poor decision making.

Even though some people don't like the Contemporary based on the theme or non theme as you would call it, to that I say there are a lot more people who like staying there so the positives outway the negatives. Finally for the people who don't like it that means more rooms for people who like to stay there and don't criticize everything about it.

Besides they are also sold out with regular guests and convention guests so they must have done something right and they have the better Magic Kingdom view compared to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian.

We just got back as well and went eat at Chef Mickeys.

Rumor or not, from the looks of the construction going on at the CR, it definetly looks like a good sized building could go there and the placement is much like the "blueprints" floating around IMHO.

I guess we will see.

The renovation of the 4th floor is not done yet, not by a long shot, it is just getting started. Even the new gray carpet that was laid down in between Fantasia and BVG is temporary. Soon to be replaced by earthier tones to enhance the mural once the merchadise location is finalized. Also, the new CS location and the soon to be built skywalk to the new building have yet to start.

To speak for a moment on the exterior architecture, the Contemporary was built to echo Tomorrowland as it rose over the horizon as you look past Space Mountain. In that respect, I think it captures that image perfectly. Unless of course you consider Space Mountain dated, which I think will always be a classic.

The Polynesian and never built Asian Resorts were to be an extension of Adevntureland to the West.

To be honest, the exterior of the Yacht, Beach, and even the Boardwalk, look to be in my eyes nothing more than a gussied up Sleep Inn or Courtyard hotel that I might see in any suburban sprawl. The Contemporary is a striking design which is quite unforgettable.

The only thing I rate it low on is the pool. When they tore out the old Olympic sized pool ten years ago, they could have done so much more, and unfortunately the plans for the pool at the new building seem to be less than spectacular as well.

If one looks at the original plans for the Polynesian, it was to be a high rise hotel as well. It would not surprise me one bit if some of the original long houses do not fall to the wrecking ball in 6-7 years to make way for something new if the new building at the Contemporary is indeed DVC and is successful. The South wing may also come down, but the problem there is the sight lines. The tower would block that view of the Magic Kingdom where as on the North wing side it does not.

More Garden Wing trivia: They were orginally named Bayside and Lakeside, not North and South. Which was which? Even I cant remember.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter