• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from BCV and ....

Man_Of_Leisure

When You Wish Upon A Star
we had a great time! Took the DW for our annniversary over the Labor Day weekend. DS tagged along. Used Magical Express. First time at BCV and first time actually staying at a DVC resort (purchased SSR in March '05). Stayed in room 374. 1 BR quiet pool/canal view near the parking lot.

Good-
1. Room very clean and spacious.
2. We were at WDW.
3. Proximity to Epcot/MGM.
4. We were at WDW.
5. Stormalong Bay Pool.
6. We were at WDW.
7. Magical Express.
8. We were at WDW.
9. Gelato.
10. We were at WDW.

Not so good-

1. Room location. Longer walk to everything at the resort; however, not bad once you learn the shortcuts. It would have been great if we had driven because we were near the parking lot.
2. Sleeper sofa not very comfortable (bet you've heard that before).
3. Stormalong Bay hours. 10 AM - 10 PM. This really bothered me. Check out time is 11 AM and we had to rearrange our departing flight from 5:55 to 2:00 due to the New Orleans airport being out of commission. Magical Express was there to pick us up at 11:10. No time to spend our last day at the pool. We had gone down to the pool the day before at 9:00 AM not realizing that it did not open until 10:00. Would have liked to have had an earlier start to that day. There were many other guests waiting for the pool to open as well. They should reconsider their operating hours during the summer especially because it is one of the main reasons why people stay at that resort/hotel.
4. No resort-to-resort transportation. We took the bus to MK then the boat over to the Polynesian to eat dinner at Ohana's. Afterward's we wanted to swim at the pool and use the volcano slide but because they closed it at 8:00 (what's up with that?) we had to get back to our resort to go swimming. It took an hour and a half to get back to BCV and by then it was too late to enjoy Stormalong Bay. As long as you are not trying to go from one resort complex to another everything is fine. Because we usually drive it is not a problem but this time we flew. Again, no big deal, just something I'd like to see done differently. The buses from MK go right by the Polynesian, maybe there should be a stop there as well. Or maybe they should have resort buses at the TTC. Or possibly a couple of buses that run between resorts.
5. Need to stain the scratches on the furniture and throw a coat of paint on the chipped edges of the walls. You could definitely see the wear on some of the furniture. There are staining pens available in various colors that could be used to cover the noticable scratches and wear. The corners of the walls had some chipped paint, especially in the highly traveled areas. They should be touched up and possibly covered with clear plastic corner protectors. The scratches and chips detracted from the overall aesthetics and is not up to usual attention-to-detail standard that Disney is famous for.

Overall grade: A-

Man of Leisure
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :cool1:

Thanks for the very honest report, and congratulations on the anniversary! Sounds like you had a good time anyway!

Great report, thanks. We'll be doing the same in June for a few days before our cruise. Using ME, did you miss not having a grocery stop for the villa? Where did you buy your food/drinks? Did you try the new BC store for breakfast and did you like it? thanks!

Jillpie said:
Using ME, did you miss not having a grocery stop for the villa? Where did you buy your food/drinks? Did you try the new BC store for breakfast and did you like it? thanks!

We brought some food and water with us on the plane. We used a small nylon cooler on rollers that was about half the size of our carry-on suitcases and filled it with egg-beaters, bacon, biscuits, chocolate milk, sunny d's, lunch meat, cheeses, fruit, etc. and because we had a short non-stop flight from Birmingham there was not a problem of spoilage using our ice packs. The nonperishables such as pop-tarts, gravy, mustard, mayonaise, potatoe chips, water, wine, etc. were carried in our suitcase. We brought enough for the couple of days that we would be staying.

We ate breakfast in our room (one morning DS had to have one of the chocolate-covered marshmellow skewers for breakfast from the Marketplace). One day we brought our sandwich makings, chips and water to Blizzard Beach (the cooler came in handy) and one morning we hung out at Stormalong Bay and went back to the room for lunch before heading out to the parks. We also brought some of those small lemonade and tea packets to mix with our water. We had more than enough food.

In the evening we ate at the parks. We had some very nice meals at the Coral Reef, Ohana's and Mama Melrosa's. I purchased a DDE card and picked up the temporary card when we arrived. We saved enough on those three meals to cover for the cost of the card. Next time we go, the savings will be iceing on the cake.

If you want to eat in your room but don't want to carry a bunch of food, the Marketplace (in the BC resort) has a selection of food and drinks including bacon, eggs, pancake mix, tater tots, bread, pizza, stoffer's-like turkey and meatloaf, cheeses, lunchmeats, etc. Plan of paying about 20-30% more than at a grocery store. They also have kind of a deli offering an omelet sandwich for breakfast, sandwich wraps for lunch, clam chowder and wide variety of cakes, brownies, cookies and other desert type food as well as gelato (Yum,yum!!!). All of it reasonably priced but a little higher than what you probably would pay off-properties. You could also order room service from the restaurant (I assume it was from Cape May).

Unfortunately, we did not try Hurricane Hanna's or Beaches and Cream this trip. We are planning to return next summer and will give them a try then.

To be honest with you, we fell in love with BCV. As I mentioned in the OP we bought at SSR in March. I would like to purchase a smaller add-on to give us the 11 month advantage at another resort and I want to try all of the resorts before I make up my mind; however, I feel like the bar has been set very high. We have a WDW trip planned for New Years and we will be staying at SSR for our first time. Close access to DTD should be nice during the holiday.

Hope this helps.

Man Of Leisure

I'm very glad you enjoyed your first DVC stay and BCV. I'm sure you're itching to try out your home resort as well. :cool1:

I don't think it would work well for MK buses to stop at the Polynesian. Enough people already pool hop there. If every resort bus made a stop there....well, I can't even imagine. But it is not convenient to pool hop right now which is why we never do it! ;)

Chocolate covered marshmellow skewers sound like a perfect WDW breakfast! :sunny:

Thanks for the report. I agree about the pool hours. We have early risers in our family and they would love to spend the morning at the pool.

Hi,

Thanks for the great report. Glad you had a good time!!

We were at the BCV in August. I love the new Marketplace, especially the chocolate gelato. We all had to have one every night, they are just wonderful!

Thanks for the report!
What was the order of stops from the airport when using the ME service to BCV?
Thanks a bunch!

We just got back from BCV as well. My kids were disappointed that they couldn't go swimming in the morning before check out. However, we did play on the sand bar and in the kiddie pool. The maintanance crew did not seem to mind.

SpoonfulofSugar said:
Thanks for the report!
What was the order of stops from the airport when using the ME service to BCV?
Thanks a bunch!

Upon arrival at MCO we checked in with ME. We got in line for the Yacht and Beach Club Resorts; however, because we were the only ones in that line we were put on the bus with the Port Orleans and French Quarter guests. We made our first stop at POFQ and then taken to BCV.

It was all very efficient. We did have one hitch. When we received our ME confirmation DS was left off. DW and myself were on it and I thought the reason he was left off was because he was a minor. I was wrong. He was left off accidently and we had to spend a couple of extra minutes at the ME counter in the airport to have that corrected.

Man Of Leisure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter