Just Back from PBH, etc;Any questions!

RamVA

Mouseketeer
LOVED Portofino Bay! Thanks to tips on this board got a rate of $145 (using Entertainment card, and some kind of even lower rate in effect when we called for ressies) for Portofino and stayed 2 nights. Was a little worried because of some posts we had seen about people being "walked" from this hotel--but no problems! This hotel is wonderful; it is at least a 4 star hotel--very luxurious, and absolutely wonderful theming. You feel like you are in a hotel situated in a little Italian fishing village. There is a plaza out back where you can sit and have coffee, dessert, etc. from the many little eateries around the perimeter, watch the ducks and the boats running to the parks, and there are "permanent" little fishing boats moored in the bay of the lake looking like there ready for tomorrow's fish catch! The main pool and hot tubs are wonderful (waterfalls coming down the rock walls of the hot tubs), and there are 2 other "quiet" pools that we didn't use. Inside is very elegant--crystal chandeliers, marble, etc. Rooms are provided with complimentary bathrobes, a mini-bar (yes, expensive, but they all are)huge bathroom, with of course hair dryer, scales (if you want to weigh yourself!) phone in bathroom, safe in room, iron, etc., etc. The staff, contrary to what I had read here, was completely and totally professional, friendly, and courteous--EVERYONE! Quick to respond, to help; always a smile; we were made to feel very important, and very welcome. I can't say enough about our positive experience here, and plan on staying here again.

We wanted to stay here because of FOTL access; We are die-hard Disney nuts, and NEVER go off-property. FOTL is a brilliant, fantastic marketing idea, and a great perk. It definitey spoils you. I hope they keep this, because it is what lured us to them in the first place. We did both parks in 2 days with no problem. We were there June 20, and 21. Although the crowds are nothing like at WDW, the lines for rides are still long, and there is no way we could have done them all without FOTL--and many in IOA we did several times! My embarrassment level using it was very low; you use the same line as express pass people, and everybody has that option open to them. We literally walked right on many rides, and if we did have to wait it was never for more than 10 minutes! Since we are such avid WDW park nuts, don't know if we would go again without FOTL, and intend to write management to let them know this. It's not like Disney, where Fastpass really affects the stand-by line; there are so fewer people using express/FOTL in ratio to people in standby, that is doesn't really slow down the regular line.

This is long, so will do a separate thread on specific park information and experiences. Please feel free to ask any questions that I may not have answered.:)

Glad it was everything you wanted RamVa! What an excellent rate too!!
Look forward to reading about all your good times.
Thanks for posting!
Which park was your favorite?
Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim; my posts are so long, I know they are long! I just finished my park post, and if you read it you'll definitely see that IOA wins hands down!!!:wave:

Could you give me some information on the rooms in the hotel? Are the beds double or queen? Do they also offer a sleeper sofa or daybed? I'm hoping to go in the near future with 2 pre-teen kids (boy and girl) and also my mother.

Its really great to hear that! When I went last year and discovered the FOTL I was so impressed and your right it does spoil you. Since then we haven't been to Disney World and aren't planning to because of the long lines there.

Kathy, we had 2 queen size beds, so I got one, 25 year old son got the other, and since 16 year-old son and older son don't really like to sleep together if they can help it, younger one used air mattress on the floor--and the room was big enough to accommodate this. I don't know if they have other variations, but I would ask, because I do know they have different "price levels" of rooms, and that might mean different sleeping accommodations. And, no matter what price level of room you book, if you have the entertainment card you of course get 50% off the rack rate (if they have allocated rooms left). I think Portofino is easier to get into than Hard Rock.
:D

Thanks for the report, Ruth. It wasn't too long it was detailed!

Your rate was incredible, too. Just a few dollars more than the rate I was quoted for December at the HRH, hmmmmmm.... ;) I don't think I could change it without my son having a fit, though. He just LOVED the coolness of the HR. Me, on the other hand, kept peering at the PBH across the street and saying "one day"... ::sigh::

Your experience with FOTL was the same as mine. It's so good to know that you can still have such a good experience even during the summer months.

Good for you to write to the "powers that be" about keeping this perk. Maybe if enough people told them, they might consider keeping it longer. Who knows, we can dream, can't we??

Welcome back!:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter