Just Back from Viva Italia - Magnifico!

Bella O

Mouseketeer
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Wow, let me tell you - I had high expectations for this trip (having already traveled to Italy I know how great a country it is to tour) but ABD just blew me away! There was nothing I could find fault with - and I mean nothing! The guides - Marco and Mara were simply amazing! They took care of everything seamlessly and smoothly - from knowing where the best "rest rooms" were in any place we visited to taking excellent care of my dd when she was suffering from heat exhaustion at the Colisseum (yeah, the one downer on the trip was the heat - over 100 degrees in Rome all three days there - the hottest on the trip). Following is my trip review - I'll try to keep it brief, but I could go on and on about how fantastic this trip was! I would not hesitiate to reccomend this trip and ABD - we definately plan to book a future trip (maybe Austrailia in a couple of years, maybe the mid-atlantic trip for next year).

Rome: Amazing how much we saw in a short period of time - but never felt tour overload, if you know what I mean. Really liked the location of Bernini Hotel - close to Trevi fountain and the main shopping district, but the area around the hotel is nice and quiet and Via Veneto is a great place to take a stroll. I can't imagine touing Rome w/o a tour - the lines to get into the Sistine Chapel, Colisseum were outrageously long - and in 100 degrees F I think I would have left Rome w/o seeing these magnificient sights. The local guide Christina was fantastic! One night we ate where the guides reccomended - Otto Cento - on a rooftop terrace - it was excellent! Felt the breakfasts at the Bernini were the best on the trip. Though the room was smallish (expected this as this is Europe) felt it was more than adequate - service exceptional (had a problem w/shower and they sent someone up immediately) and really beautiful. Not that expensive to use the computer on sight (btw, there was free wifi in Tuscany and a free computer you could use) and a computer feel to use in Venice as well - although there was almost always someone on it) Had only one bad meal here - couldn't find a non-touristy place to eat near the Trevi fountain which is where we were when hunger struck - we should have eated closer to the hotel where others had better luck.
Tuscany- This was the biggest surprise of the trip, but we loved it! (I was traveling w/my soon to be 16 yr old dd). Maybe some of it was the heat - but it was such a relief to be where the air was a bit cooler - lots of fresh breezes, and at night cool enough for a sweater. The air conditioning was strongest here, the room the largest. I know the rooms really vary here, but we loved our room. Only thing is it didn't have a regular shower - a large soaking tub and hand held shower. At first I was disappointed as I'm a shower person, but decided to "do as the Europeans do" while in Europe and bath instead - and it was so relaxing! Just a side note, I found that it's best to "adopt" to the culture you're visiting, remain flexible and not get anxious over how some things are done differently. For instance, the service at the restaurants all followed the same pattern it would take like forever for someone to come over to the table to take our order.....but then we discovered that the food (esp if you order an appetizer) came really quickly after that - so we learned to relax and go w/the flow. I know it really bothered another couple, but well, it just seemed like this was the way it was, and best to not get upset over it, or expect it to be like in the states. They also said it took forever to get the check, but I've found that you have to ask for the check - they won't just come by and give it to you.
Overall, we loved our experience in Artimino - the pool was refreshing and relaxing and a beautiful place to rejuvnate, I loved Orvieto (one of my favorite places on the trip) and Florence was a great place to do some serious damage w/our euros! I know others felt the time in Florence was a bit short, but for me (Though I'd been there before) the time there was adequate - it was very crowded (the guides said it had been even more crowded in June), and I found it changed since I was there in the 80's, which made me feel sad (lots more grafetti everwhere). We ate our "free time lunch" at a place the local guide had reccomended - at the top of a large department store in Piazza Republica - don't remember the name of the store, but it's the largest in Florence. The restaurant is a roof top terrace and we really enjoyed this very "non-touristy" spot. We loved the pasta making - yes, it's a bit far, but VechioMaggio is absolutely beautiful (if Disney offered a "signature expereince" with staying here - I'd book it in a heartbeat! Everyone enjoyed this Disney touch.
Venice - I love Venice and this time was no exception - it's just so wonderful to walk these little alleys and boat on the streets. This was my dd's favorite place of the trip. I thought the Hotel Dei Doge, while beautiful with it's garden, was the smallest room - and the hottest. It's a very old building and the air condition could just not keep up w.the need. Right after we got to our room, I went back down and asked the guides if this was normal for all the rooms - our air was on high and it probably was close to 80 F in the room. They immediately went to the front desk - and the front desk let me visit another room to see if it was cooler - we thought it was so immed. moved. So if this happens to you, I wouldn't hesistate to let them know - I knew the guides would be responsive, but the hotel was as well. I know others found it warm there as well. I think Americans are used to public places, like restaurants and hotel lobbies to be cool - and this just isn't the case in most places in Europe. Both my dd and I felt we started to develop a tolerance to the heat (actually, the heat doesn't bother me that much so it wasn't as hard for me as say for some of the guests that felt the heat more strongly). Even though the air in the 2nd room wasn't exactly cold, it was cool enough to sleep comfortably at night).

All in all, the trip was fabulous. I mentioned how great Marco and Mara were, but the local guides were also fabulous and gave a great eye to the local culture and personality of their city. The group of folks on this trip were simply wonderful - we really enjoyed all the other families and had a great time getting to know them all. As my dd is a teen, we were happy to see all the other teens on the trip - one family had three teens, and there were also two other guys that were teens and another 13 yr. old girl. All families had children with them - the youngest were six (1 six year old, and maybe like three seven year olds). Two little eight year old girls became fast friends on the first welcome night - it was so cute to see. By Tuscany, all the kids wanted to sit w/the other kids (there was a teen table) for the group meals. My dd had a lot of fun wth the other kids - a bonus we hadn't been anticipating!

This is too long - so I'll end now by saying that this was one of the best trips ever! It was different for my dd and I as we've never been away this long just the two of us - with dh and my other dds - but I believe we had an adventure of a lifetime. I am now sold on ABD and will definately do one with the entire family. (My youngest is almost five - I probably will wait till she's close to 7 for any trip out of the US) Oh, one word about the cost - traveling to Europe is very expensive right now - the Euro is so much stronger than the US dollar - so yes, ABD is expensive but Europe is just so expensive - I felt it was worth it to do with ABD. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have - you will truly had an awesome trip!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I'm trying to decide if ABD would be for us and everything I'm reading is getting a 2 thumbs up from me!

Thanks for the report, it makes me feel better that we are spending the money to travel with disney to Italy next June! Do you remember if there bikes for rental at the villa in Tuscany?

:goodvibes I am glad you enjoyed Viva Italia. It was my first tour with ABD last summer and i was really pleased with the trip to.:)

Yes, there are bikes you can use at Artimino (for free). There are also a few swings and supposedly a tennis court (you an borrow racquets) but we never saw the court. Be sure to walk down to the village to get gelato - some of the best gelato I had in Italy was there!

Thanks for all the great information. I can't believe we leave in just 34 days!

Thanks for all of the GREAT information! It is so nice to know that we will have a great trip! Thanks for the info on the A/C. Seattle is a pretty cool climate, so I have trouble with heat. Hopefully it will cool down a little in 34 days. I cannot wait!

Mara, one of the Disney guides, remarked that usually the hottest weather is August (though parts of June were also as hot). It should cool down a bit by mid-September. I knew traveling in August would be hot - and I was determined for it to not "ruin" my time:rotfl2: anyway - and it really didn't! You all will have a great time - enjoy!

Thank you so much for sharing, and I didn't think your post was too long...I could have read more! My son (will be 15 at the time) leave in June 2009 for the Viva Italia trip and we are excited and nervous...never been out of the country, nor away from the rest of the family (husband and three other kids!). It will be something very special. I loved your advice about going with the flow...that is something he and I will have to work on! Glad you wrote and glad you had fun!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Tuscany- I know the rooms really vary here, but we loved our room. Only thing is it didn't have a regular shower - a large soaking tub and hand held shower. At first I was disappointed as I'm a shower person, but decided to "do as the Europeans do" while in Europe and bath instead - and it was so relaxing! Just a side note, I found that it's best to "adopt" to the culture you're visiting, remain flexible and not get anxious over how some things are done differently. For instance, the service at the restaurants all followed the same pattern it would take like forever for someone to come over to the table to take our order.....but then we discovered that the food (esp if you order an appetizer) came really quickly after that - so we learned to relax and go w/the flow. I know it really bothered another couple, but well, it just seemed like this was the way it was, and best to not get upset over it, or expect it to be like in the states. They also said it took forever to get the check, but I've found that you have to ask for the check - they won't just come by and give it to you.

The old adage: 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do.' Good advice, thanks Bella O.

The rooms in Tuscany - did any one exchange rooms after they checked in because they were dissatisfied with something?

Redzinner,

I did not change rooms in Tuscany, but I did in Venice, due to the airconditioning. I found both the ABD guides and the front desk at that location very repsonsive. I would think that if they had availabilty and could change you to a new room, they would. When we were there at the height of the Italian holiday season, Artimino seemed booked solid. My advice is if there is something you can't live without, like a shower vs. a soaking tub, mention this before you arrive.

Thank you so much for all the information about this trip. We are booked for June 18th - June 26th 2009. Someone else has mentioned they will be traveling with a 15 year old son. We will have our 20, 16 and 14 year old boys. We are so looking forward to the trip. We went on the Southwest Splendors tour last year and had the most remarkable time. I think ABD is so worth the money for the extra touches and over-all stress free trip they put together. For those of you that arrived a day or two early - is that the way to go? We have not booked our air fare yet since ABD said they do not have the pre-days planned or available.

Thanks for the information

Thank you so much for sharing, and I didn't think your post was too long...I could have read more! My son (will be 15 at the time) leave in June 2009 for the Viva Italia trip and we are excited and nervous...never been out of the country, nor away from the rest of the family (husband and three other kids!). It will be something very special. I loved your advice about going with the flow...that is something he and I will have to work on! Glad you wrote and glad you had fun!

What date are you travelling?

I remember Christina from my trip last year. She was great. It really was hot out there, wasn't it? Glad that you enjoyed it!

Bella,
Could you tell me what type of clothes you needed for the trip? I am leaving in 3 weeks.
1 whooper

In three weeks you'll probably need some lighter clothes still. Because of the early August heat, I wore two outfits every day (had to shower before night time activities). As a woman, I felt most comfortable in light weight sundresses and skirts. Both men and women can wear shorts most days. On the days to the Vatican, and if you want to go into San Marco's in Venice, men need to wear long pants, men and women need to have their knees covered, and their shoulders covered. Women have the option of bringing along a scarf to throw over their shoulders. All other days, dress is casual, and as light as possible in the summer - many wore shorts. Churches I visited on my own in Venice gave a free throw away scarf to wear over my shoulders - the Vatican and San Marco's are the strictest of the churches. On the last night at the farewell dinner, most folks dressed a little nicer - men wearing collared shirts, women with skirts or dresses. Because of the heat, I needed more clothes than I thought I would, but if it's not hot, you certainly wouldn't need more than an outfit a day. Most important is the shoes - my Merrills rocked! No blisters or tired feet ever!

We are doing the June 11-19 tour. I learn more and more every day as I check these boards!

Bella - We just returned from Viva, and it was just amazing. Thanks for your comments (which I had read) - they were very helpful.

Who was your local guide in Florence? Ours was very dull, quite different than all the other super guides. I thought that was the only day that could have been improved, we had such a wonderful time.

Although we had a few very hot days, we also had many picture perfect ones, including our stay in Tuscany. A real trip to remember.

I'm sp glad you had a great time - they really do a good job, and of course Italy is just so beautiful! Our guide in Florence was Eleni - short dark hair, thin......did you have her?

No, we had a guy whose name I don't remember, unfortunately - he was not very good, in contrast to everyone else. Otherwise - it was really an amazing trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter