Just Back from Viva Italia - Magnifico!

In three weeks you'll probably need some lighter clothes still. Because of the early August heat, I wore two outfits every day (had to shower before night time activities). As a woman, I felt most comfortable in light weight sundresses and skirts. Both men and women can wear shorts most days. On the days to the Vatican, and if you want to go into San Marco's in Venice, men need to wear long pants, men and women need to have their knees covered, and their shoulders covered. Women have the option of bringing along a scarf to throw over their shoulders. All other days, dress is casual, and as light as possible in the summer - many wore shorts. Churches I visited on my own in Venice gave a free throw away scarf to wear over my shoulders - the Vatican and San Marco's are the strictest of the churches. On the last night at the farewell dinner, most folks dressed a little nicer - men wearing collared shirts, women with skirts or dresses. Because of the heat, I needed more clothes than I thought I would, but if it's not hot, you certainly wouldn't need more than an outfit a day. Most important is the shoes - my Merrills rocked! No blisters or tired feet ever!

Thanks so much for the information. I am in the middle of laying out my clothes and seeing how they fit into my suitcase. It's great to hear about the evening dress. I am packing 3 skirts and a sundresses for evening. Do you think that a few nights I can get by with a nice pair of capris and a nice blouse? I have a 30" suitcase. So there is no problem with room. The weight is the issue. Shoes of course are a major issue. I am wearing Merrills for walking too. But this is the first time I have ever done that. I normally wear tennis shoes. So I am nervous about going without them. But if I leave them behind, it will save a bunch on room and weight. Oh, what to do.....:confused3

eva - You can definately get by w/capris in the evening - I mostly wore sundresses/skirts just cause they were more comfortable for me - and more forgiving after all the eating! but you can really dress however you prefer, except the Vatican & San Marcos. If you can, leave some room in luggage for gifts and goodies you just got to bring home! I'm happy to say I bought some olive oil in Tuscany for gifts and they made it home in one piece (checked luggage) - I was really worried I'd have oil over everything, but realy wanted to bring some home, so took the chance. Also about the shoes - I brought two pairs of shoes and wore my heaviest - two to interchange every other day, and then a nicer pair of sandals for the evening, thought this worked really well. I remember from Disney World trips that my feet do better when I wear different shoes - maybe you want tennies for the long air trip?

so sorry your guide wasn't the best - at least it was in Florence which is one of the shorter local quided tours. Eleni (or was it Elena?) was really good.

Shoes of course are a major issue. I am wearing Merrills for walking too. But this is the first time I have ever done that. I normally wear tennis shoes. So I am nervous about going without them. But if I leave them behind, it will save a bunch on room and weight. Oh, what to do.....:confused3
I would HIGHLY suggest taking the tennis shoes along, just in case. If it turns out you have a problem with the Merrills, or your feet just get tired of them, you don't want to be miserable for the rest of your trip just because you didn't have your tennis shoes. A big vacation is NOT the time to be experimenting with footwear! Nothing can put a damper on an "active" vacation like a big, nasty blister...

Sayhello

What are these Merrills of which you speak and how does one procure them? (I'm practicing for London! LOL)

Merrell is a shoe brand for men and women. They are excellent for keeping the foot properly aligned in walking. I purchased a very pretty pair last summer (non-athletic style-but more like a thong walking sandal) and they served me very well in Italy. I did take an athletic shoe for the trip over and back in the event it was cold on the plane. The Merrell's were appropriate for daytime and for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter