Just Back From WL

Paul G

WL Veteran
Just got back today from an 8 night stay at the lodge (May 17-25).

The WL is fantastic and we enjoyed every minute of our stay.

We had a block of 3 standard rooms booked at the AP rate of $124 and I faxed some requests in 4 days before our arrival. I requested:

- non-smoking rooms.
- 2 of the rooms connecting.
- North wing 4th floor or higher (best view possible) (I read here that this was the best spot for a standard room)
- all 3 rooms as close together as possible.

They gave us 3 non-smoking rooms together with 2 connecting. We were upgraded to courtyard view on the 4th floor of the south east wing. The room numbers were 4156, 58, 60.

The rooms overlooked the Wilderness Lodge Villa pool and the woods next to it. It was a great view and we were very happy with the rooms. It was very convenient for access to both pools and the boat dock but it was a pretty good hike to the elevators.

I enjoyed opening up the balcony door every morning to watch the sun rise and hear a virtual symphony of bird song. I am not certain but I think they were Mocking Birds in the woods that I was listening to. At night we would sit on the balcony and listen to the frogs croaking in the woods. No mosquitoes or any bugs bothered us on the balcony or anywhere on the grounds.

I was never bothered by any noises from other rooms and was never bothered by noise from outside.

There are so many good things to say about this resort I don't know where to begin. I loved the theme music they play, it really sets the mood and makes you feel you are at someplace special. I could even hear it from my balcony.

I spent at least a couple of hours just looking around and enjoying the amazing architecture and grounds.

I used all the pools, the hot tubs, the pool bar, rented water mice and used the boat transportation so if any one has any questions fire away. The only thing I didn't use was the buses.

The housekeeping was adequate but nothing special (no towel animals or anything like that) and I did tip most days.

The Whispering Canyon Cafe has great food and a really fun atmosphere. We also went to the Yachtsman at the Yacht club resort and I can honestly say that the steak was much better at the Whispering Canyon and $10 cheaper. I would not recomend the Yachtsman restaurant as the food was poor (and overpriced) and the theming was dull and the atmosphere stuffy.

The only negative thing I can say about the lodge is that the pool is too small. We toured around some of the other deluxes (CR, GF, Poly, BC, YC) and the pool at the WL lodge is obviously the smallest. I wonder why they made it so small compared to the others?

"Have you ever seen a pool in the wilderness?" Sorry, had to answer your question....guess they're just trying to stick to the reality theming! :) But it is surprising- all the pictures of it looks like it's a rather massive resort- but your description- esp. the mockingbird mention really made me want to plop myself in a rocking chair and soak in all the ambience you experienced. Glad you had a great trip!!
Tara

It sounds like you had a great time!! We're going on july 20th for 7 days. I had some reservations about the Wilderness Lodge but, you just took them all away!!! This will be our first time to Disney without the kids in 20 some years!! Watching the sun come up and listening to the symphony of birds sounds like a great way to spend our time.We'll be staying in the Villas but I suspect the sights and sounds will be very much the same!!!

Hi,
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I can't wait til we are there. Can you describe a typical boat ride to the MK, including your average wait time and other stops to and from? Also, did you use the boat to go anywhere else? How did that go? Thanks!!!!

We were at WL May 4-May 9. It was our first time staying there and I loved it. The boat ride made the hotel wonderful. We never really had to wait more than 5 min. for a boat to come along. The boat to MK takes different routes. Sometimes it picks up FW first and than WL, sometimes it's the otherway around. We also took advantage of the other hotels on SSL. We had chef Mickey's breakfast one morning. It worked out great because the boat took us right there and after breakfast we hopped on the Monorail to Epcot. There is so much to do at the hotel plan to spend a few days enjoying it. They have the watermice boats to rent and bikes. The pool was fun, it has a small slide. Beware though, there were flies that bite. They are called DEER FLIES. The bites still itch! They were very bad and wouldn't just go away with a swat or two. We also ate at Artist Point. We timed our dinner so that we would see the Water Parade after we were done. They have a balcony that they let the dinner guest watch it from it was nice. My DD and DC loved that they were given pictures of Mickey to color and when they were done they were put on a wall for all to see and also given a badge for being an artist. We had a great time and we will be staying there again. Next time I would like to go back during a cooler time of year. It was just to hot for me. Hope this helped someone.:Pinkbounc

.. for sharing about WL !
We have been there twice now and we love it. I think what I love is the fact that you realy "feel" the atmosphere of the wilderness in the middle of Florida - vs. so many of the more "tropical" themes at the other resorts.
Sounds like you had a fabulous time - I'm sure it will become a favorite of your family as it has for ours~~

melomouse

You people are killing me. I still have 59 more days until I am back at the Lodge. It is the only place for us and to hear you describing it brings back so many memories. I don't know if I can make it. Where is that time machine?;)

I disagree lmhall2000. I have a cottage in northern Ontario near Algonquin Park and our wilderness pool (Lake Kawagama) is about 5 miles long and 1/2 a mile wide!!!

DisNance - I can't imagine anyone not liking this resort. What reservations did you have?

magicmouse2 - I didn't try the milkshakes, I guess I will have to next trip. We did ask for ketchup :) !!

BlueFairy - The boats are fast and frequent. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a boat at WL. They have two different colour flags (Green and Blue) to tell you where they are going. The one to the MK stops at FW and then goes on to MK. It means that WL is the first stop on the way back which is nice. Its also good for going to the Hoop Dee Doo which we did one night. There is so much to look at during the trip you don't notice the time - I am not sure how long a trip takes - 15 minutes?

The boat to CR is smaller than the one to MK. We took this boat to tour some resorts. We used the monorail to go from CR to the GF and Poly (I liked the atmosphere and look of the WL much more than the Poly - sorry Poly fans)

One night after fireworks at MK we went to the boat dock to go back to the resort and our hearts sank when we saw a massive lineup to get on the boats (backed up past the monorail overhead). I thought we might not make it we were so tired and the kids were cranky and putting up a fierce barrage of whinning. To our surprise the boats started coming one after the other and cleared the lineup in about 10 minutes! It was great and demonstrates typical Disney efficiency and logistical planning.

The boats actually pass over the road to get between Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. I thought that was pretty cool as I didn't know that before I went on one.

The Boats are fast enough that they can sneak up on you if you are not watching behind you in your watermouse. This happened to my DD and she nearly abandoned ship when they gave her a horn blast to get out of the way!

NLK - There were no Deer Flies last week. They must be seasonal. I do have a couple of itchy spots on my ankles so I guess I did get a couple of mosquito bites although I don't remember it happenning. Compared to the Black Flies and Mosquitoes in Northern Ontario in May and June they were nothing!

melomouse - It definitely will be one of our favourites. I think we might try the YC or BC next time because of their awsome pool and slide but a trip back to the "Lodge" will definitely be in our future.

Ratpack - All I can say is I wish I was going in 59 days. Its hard to come home after such a great vacation. I told my wife that if we win a lottery I think I would just live at the WL.

Hi Paul,

It sounds like we were neighbors for a week. We just returned from 7 nights at WL. We had booked a woods view at the AP rate of $139 and were upgraded to Courtyard as well. We were in room 4135 - right down the hall from you!! :)

Unfortunately, we had a very noisy room, being right next to the elevators (not main, just wing) and the ice machine. We were also awakened very early by rude families who let their children play at the elevators and ice machine nearly every morning. :mad: I guess you got lucky with the balcony. While we had a great view, we were eaten alive by those red, biting flies. We could hardly sit outside at all - at any time of day or night. And God forbid if we left the door open - we'd spend the next hour smashing flies on the walls with magazines (which housekeeping did not clean up!). On top of it all, we were eaten alive in our beds every night. We were sure to get all the flies before turning out the lights, but would always wake up covered in bites. After 4 nights, we stripped the beds ourselves so housekeeping would change the sheets. That seemed to improve the problem. As with you, no towel animals - even though we tipped well everyday and propped up our beanie babies with the tip on the bed.

Boat service was fantastic (with the exception of waiting at the CR for a boat one night for nearly 30 minutes only to be told by a passing boat that they were done for the night - the sign said they ran until 10pm and we got there at 9:35pm). We ended up taking the monorail to TTC and sitting for another 30 minutes waiting for a bus. We probably could have swam back faster!)

Bus services was hit and miss. One evening we waited nearly 30 minutes for a bus to DTD. The crowd had grown very large (probably close to 75 or more people). Still no bus. We gave up and got the car to drive to DTD. Lucky for us, we had driven to Florida. All waits for a bus from TTC were excrutiatingly long. This is not recommended.

Artist Point was fantastic - we had the Salmon and the Filet Mignon and shared our meals (sis and myself). Whispering Canyon was fun and tasty. I had the pork chops and sis had the Ribs. The portions were HUGE. Definitely plan to share!!

Tina

Sorry to hear you had a noisey room.

I don't know why you had so much trouble with insects. Your experience was very different from ours.

One night I left the balcony door open and the lights on accidentally when we went to the pool. When we came back a couple of hours latter after dark there were only 2 bugs that I could see - a love bug and a moth.

I sat for hours on the balcony wearing only shorts at all times of the day and night and was never bothered by any insects.

I never saw a red fly the whole time I was there.

Did you have those big pool area flood lights outside of your room? I think the odd # rooms were on the other side of the hall facing the Lodge pool area. Maybe the flood lights attracted more bugs?

Nope. 4135 is a courtyard view room. It was just past the last "bend" in the hall. There were no pool lights near our balcony. Our room looked out over the little "overlook" area between the resort and the main pool. I guess our flesh was just tastier than yours! LOL :p

Paul,
I originally had the Polynesian booked. Wanted to stay there since I was a kid. Just too expesive though. I'm very happy with my choice for the Wilderness Lodge. I'm sure it's going to be every bit as wonderful as all you folks tell about.

Maybe the reason the pool is the size it is is due to the number of rooms available. I know that the AKL is one of the hotels with the least number of rooms available.

We too love the AKL!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter