Just Back - Some Dining Reviews

ccrosner

Mouseketeer
We just returned last night from a 5 day trip celebrating a 50th anniversary for my parents. It was fantastic and we were all surprisingly impressed with our meals. Disney did a great job acknowledging my parents 50th--almost every restaurant did something and we don't remember telling all of them! We had PS's for all of these restaurants. I'm not a "foodie" so I won't remember what we all ate but we are used to eating in good restaurants.

Narcoosee's - Loved the setting on the waterfront. Great atmosphere. Had a table for 10. I had halibut which was very good. Those who had the chicken dish said it was delicious. DH thought the wine choices were very pricey as was the food. Good service. Would eat there again if I was staying at GF

Kona Cafe - Had to change an original plan to eat at AP (DF was ill during the day so we had to eat later) so had to find a place near GF that would take all 10 of us at the last minute. I remembered that many on these boards had thought that the Kona was a hidden Disney dining secret so we gave it a try. Wouldn't take a PS so we took our chances. Got seated right away. Everyone loved it here. DH and DB thought the food was as good or better than Narcoossee's and was less expensive. People had Mahi Mahi (very good) and steaks. Everyone who had the Caesar salad thought it was better than Narcoosee's. Fun umbrellas in the drinks for the kids. They gave DM and DF a nice 50th dessert. Server was terrific and we were pleased to have a lovely mentally disabled (by her own admission) young woman serve as our hostess--good for Disney. I thought the atmosphere was nice but a tad noisy (do to lobby noise). My DH told me that he (with some hearing loss) had an easier time hearing there than at Narcoossee's so to each his own! Highly recommend this place.

Rose and Crown - By the time we got to the Rose and Crown (a bit early) we were all hot and cranky after hours at Epcot. We all felt better after some pints--even the kids got silly! Had Bangers and Mash (sausage and cabbage) after a delicious green salad. Great waiter from England (really adds to the atmosphere to have those serving from the real countries). Very fun place to eat.

Yachtsmen Steakhouse - We made PS's here to replace our planned AP anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. Will say that travelling here and back from GF on a MNSSHP night was not easy (we took a cab back!) especially with DM in a wheelchair. But we called to tell them we'd be 30 minutes late and they held the table. Lovely atmosphere and the hotel and pool area are worth seeing. Most of us had steaks (including the kids) and all thought it was delicious. DSIL thought there was too much in the starch department (they give you mounds of some type of potato) but we all enjoyed it. My DD7 (who had been an incredible trooper throughout the trip) finally caved in at the Yachtsmen so my dinner was a bit challenging (you know, have to be in your lap, nothing will make them happy, etc.). When I asked to have her dinner arrive with our salads, the waiter made an extra effort and out it came as requested. Loved that they would accommodate children even in a fancy restaurant. Brought a platefull of cookies with anniversary message written in chocolate on it and sang. A lovely evening.

1900 Park Faire - Last morning had the character breakfast here even though DF was not sure he liked the idea. My DM made the last minute PS's for us (must have told them at GF that it was her 50th anniversary...) and it was GREAT. My DD7 LOVED spending time with Pooh and Tigger who had great fun with her new Pooh stuffed animal (Tigger tried to steal it, etc.). I loved seeing Mary Poppins (my personal favorite). Note here: Mary never came into the restaurant--just stood in the lobby--so make sure you go out to see her. Buffet was plentiful and delicious. Waffle are AWESOME and they will make egg beaters for you at the omelette station. Loved the kid-sized buffet table so the kids can help themselves. Also saw Alice and Mad Hatter. And they made a HUGE deal of my parents' anniversary. They have a hostess there with a circus ringmaster's bellowing voice. She stops the entire restaurant from eating, talking and announces that it's Don and Joyce's 50th anniversary. Everyone cheers and my parents were overwhelmed. It was really quite a great ending to a great trip.

We ate breakfast other days at Gasparilla Grill at GF which was convenient, quick and not too expensive. Also, GF was offering free coffee in the lobbies during the month of October so we never had to pay for morning coffee.

In the parks we had lunch at Columbia Harbor House, Backlot express at MGM and LottaWatta Lodge at Blizzard Beach. Thought the service was excellent (barely waited more than 10 minutes total from line to ordering to getting food) and the food was quite good. Not crowded anywhere.

Hope this helps. Send me a message if you have questions.

Thanks for the great reviews. Glad to hear you likes Narcoosee's since we are going to be eating here for the first time in December. Kona Cafe is one of our favorites for dinner & breakfast.

Glad you were able to enjoy the Kona, but shhhh...don't tell anyone else how good it is! ;)

Thanks for the reviews.
Kona is one place we've never tried for dinner, and the noise level in that area is one of the reasons. But we ate at the Concourse Steakhouse and the noise didn't bother us, so maybe we'll rethink Kona.

Thanks for the reviews! I love Kona and Narcossee's, as well. I am thinking 1900 Park Faire may be a fun character breakfast. Although we are not big breakfast eaters, we like to try special breakfasts from time to time. :)

For sharing your reviews,I think we are going to give Rose and Crown a try.::yes::

I know that server at 1900 PF. We celebrated DW's birthday there for breakfast and our server "warned" us about Kathy (I think that was her name. She can really take command of the entire restaurant with her voice. And PF can be a little noisy.

Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and will have some special memories.

My husband agrees with yours with regards to Kona for dinner vis a vis Narcoossee's...in taste, prices and sound. He too has some hearing loss so I think that's very interesting. Kona for dinner is a hidden Mickey in my book. I think that is so cool about the hostess there. We haven't had the pleaure of meeting her. Maybe next month!

Thanx for the great reviews.

Congrats on your parents anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter