Just Back - Thoughts and Reviews, Days 5 & 6

dixiedizfan

DIS Veteran
On Friday we had counter service for lunch at Columbia Harbour House, and everything was good. We had two fish strips, tuna sandwich, and a ham sandwich. All very good and tasty. CHH was crowded, but we found a quiet table upstairs next to a window. There's also a condiments bar upstairs which was very convenient. Dinner was at 'Ohana at 6:30. We had to wait, but not for too long. We had a nice window seat and could watch the castle change colors. Our waiter was very prompt and attentive. All the usual appetizers were brought out, and were all good except for the vegies, which were undercooked to the point of being almost raw. I enjoyed eating here last year, but the meat tasted different this time. Too much smoky flavoring; it overpowered the taste of the meat itself. In fact I couldn't stand it. The bread pudding was good as ever.

Saturday we had ADRs for Concourse that evening, but after the hassle of having to stop what we were doing and find transportation to get to our ADRs all week, I cancelled it. I just wanted a day where we didn't have to be someplace at a set time. So since we were staying at AKL, we used our last TS for breakfast at Boma I'm so glad we did! It's a large, fabulous buffet, and the food is delicious. They carved a ham and pork loin, and had sauces for dipping. Bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, waffles, hot cereals, casseroles, fruit, and the best assortment of pastries I've seen. And the guava-type juice was the best. We loooved this meal.

DD and I went to Downtown Disney, and had a late lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express. Wow ... this was the best counter service meal we've had, right along with CSR's Pepper Market. I had a pepperoni and sausage pizza, and DD had a chicken caesar sandwich with chips. Both scrumptious. And the food was served to us! Absolutely wonderful ... a real find. Later that evening we were still too full for supper, so we shared a banana split at the counter at Beaches & Cream. It was large and good, but we think they forgot to add the hot fudge sauce, since we couldn't find any. We shared one beverage with it, and our bill came to $10.15. I mention this because I gave our server a ten and five-dollar bill, and he asked if I wanted change back. Well yeah, a 50% tip is a bit much, I would think. Then before ringing it up he asked again if he heard us say we wanted change back. I mean, really!

All in all, we enjoyed being on the dining plan since we could order what we wanted. However, we couldn't eat everything, and had to forego several appetizers and many desserts. And we found that having to stop what we were doing, and lose park time taking transportation to get to our ADR and then having to wait to be seated, was almost not worth it. Almost ... we'll see.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

glad to hear that you enjoyed Boma for Breakfast. We have that as an ADR in June and I was hoping it was a good buffet choice. I have done Cape May before for breakfast, which i loved..but wanted something different..
great reviews!

Forgot to add one important thing: With all the food I ate ... and ate and ate ... I didn't gain a pound! I chalk it up to all the walking we did at the parks and to and from the bus stops, monorail, etc. I figure we averaged a good 12 - 14 miles a day.

Now I have a clear pic in my mind. I was imagining a fam of 4 all digging their spoons into 1 dessert (Ive heard that ice creams at BC are whoppers. But on the other hand, I HATE IT:mad: when servers practically remind you that they expect a tip, I think its very rude, and it doesnt help them any, in my case. If not reminded, I leave at the bare minimum, $1 pp, and thats at the counter at Dunkin Dounuts, if I sat there instead of taking out. Otherwise, %20 seems ample, unless my little precious went above and beyond her usual effort to make a mess:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter