Just beginning to plan a trip

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
I'd appreciate any and all advice. I read through the FAQ thread which was very helpful.

I'm still puzzling over a few things.

The first: absolute best time to visit Tokyo DL for low crowds. I see when not to go, but not necessarily when to go. This is a big deal for me since it sounds like tokyo DL is usually very busy, so I'd like the lowest crowd time possible.

Right now we are thinking maybe September or April/may but not during golden week.

We are very flexible on dates, does anyone have any advice?

I can only speak to the one time I went, but that was the week after Golden Week and it was great. Crowds were low, weather was nice... I don't remember where they are off the top of my head, but there are TDR crowd calendars you can look through to get an idea of crowd levels throughout the year, so I'd probably start with that if I was you.

We have gone twice during mid may. This is a great time to go since it is still decorated for Easter, and crowds were low by Tokyo standards. Just make sure to check the maintenance calendar to make sure the Tokyo exclusive rides aren't down for refurbished during your dates.

I can only speak to the one time I went, but that was the week after Golden Week and it was great. Crowds were low, weather was nice... I don't remember where they are off the top of my head, but there are TDR crowd calendars you can look through to get an idea of crowd levels throughout the year, so I'd probably start with that if I was you.

We have gone twice during mid may. This is a great time to go since it is still decorated for Easter, and crowds were low by Tokyo standards. Just make sure to check the maintenance calendar to make sure the Tokyo exclusive rides aren't down for refurbished during your dates.

I think we might go with the second week of May in 2017, which is the week after Golden Week. That is a good point about the maintenance calendar, I'd hate to miss one of the top Disney Sea rides.

Thank you both for your advice :)

We might do a 2 day layover in Hong Kong for DL and the city, then come to Japan for 2 weeks. Most likely 4 days at DL. I am starting to get super excited for this trip :) Now I just need to figure out airfare, I think is my next step.

I've used TDRNavi for crowd calendar and TDRExplorer when planning my April 2016 trip;a couple of weeks before Golden Week. Crowds were light when we went to the park on the weekdays. Cherry Blossoms were still blooming. Weather was great for most part of the trip. Sprinkled for a day or two out of the two week trip.

If you are staying at a park hotel, book early, as I hear that they go fast. I recently booked for July 2016 and vacancy was low. Also, I tried booking online (from US) and Credit Card kept getting denied, so had to call up to make hotel reservation.

I've used TDRNavi for crowd calendar and TDRExplorer when planning my April 2016 trip;a couple of weeks before Golden Week. Crowds were light when we went to the park on the weekdays. Cherry Blossoms were still blooming. Weather was great for most part of the trip. Sprinkled for a day or two out of the two week trip.

If you are staying at a park hotel, book early, as I hear that they go fast. I recently booked for July 2016 and vacancy was low. Also, I tried booking online (from US) and Credit Card kept getting denied, so had to call up to make hotel reservation.
Thank you for this advice!!

We are considering a Disney hotel for Japan DL. We don't usually spend that much on Disney hotels but it sounds like the 15 minute park entry head start can be very beneficial.

Maybe if we try to go cheaper with hotels for the rest of the trip we can swing a Disney hotel. We will be booking early too, since we'll want the cheapest standard room and I don't want those to all be gone.

I also have to stay at the new explorers themed Hong Kong hotel.

Anyone know if there are usually any Disney hotel discounts? I haven't seen anyone mention any so I'm assuming there are not.

Our dates also got changed to early to mid April, after school goes back in session, which I believe is the beginning of April. We'll be long gone by golden week. I kind of forgot that I'm maid of honor in my little sister's wedding in mid may. Oops.

I know what you mean on the TDR Hotel price. We are just passing through this time, so staying just 2 days/1 night. I hear the surrounding hotels are nice as well with easy access to the parks. Last year when visiting Japan we used AirBnB, which was a great experience and saved some money. I did make sure that a Metro station was nearby and with HyperDia navigating was a snap.

I know what you mean on the TDR Hotel price. We are just passing through this time, so staying just 2 days/1 night. I hear the surrounding hotels are nice as well with easy access to the parks. Last year when visiting Japan we used AirBnB, which was a great experience and saved some money. I did make sure that a Metro station was nearby and with HyperDia navigating was a snap.

We were thinking about using AIRbnb in Tokyo but then I read some posts saying that wasn't always the best idea and sometimes you'd show up and you wouldn't be able to stay there.

I have to say, if I could be guaranteed we were going to face low crowds I wouldn't worry about the Disney hotels. But that early 15 minutes is just so tempting.

We are considering a Disney hotel for Japan DL. We don't usually spend that much on Disney hotels but it sounds like the 15 minute park entry head start can be very beneficial.

If your main reason for wanting a Disney hotel is for the Happy 15, but want to save some money, take a look at the new Disney Celebration Hotel. Rates start about 24,000 JPY weekdays, low season. It's in Shin-Urayasu though, so you'll have to take the hotel shuttle to the parks, but you would get the early entry. It opens next month. There should be reviews by the time you can book for April.

If your main reason for wanting a Disney hotel is for the Happy 15, but want to save some money, take a look at the new Disney Celebration Hotel. Rates start about 24,000 JPY weekdays, low season. It's in Shin-Urayasu though, so you'll have to take the hotel shuttle to the parks, but you would get the early entry. It opens next month. There should be reviews by the time you can book for April.

Thank you! I haven't heard of that, I'll have to look it up. I appreciate the advice :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter