Just DL or other SC attractions as well?

mlm

Earning My Ears
I have dilemma...I am planning our very first trip to DL - actually, our very first trip together EVER, outside of our Alaskan honeymoon cruise and a weekend in San Francisco. anyway, we are going with my sister, her DH and DD 3.5 yrs, and my DH and our 18mth old. we are going dec 28-jan3 (5 full days) and I don't know what else to do besides DL - or should we do just DL?

I don't want to be flat out busy the WHOLE time and I think if I try to fit in 2 SC places, plus 3 full days at DL, it would be too much...

so I was thinking of getting the 3 day park hopper - is that enough time? then doing a day trip to universal, legoland, knott's berry farm OR seaworld. any suggestions on which attraction would be best with the little ones? or should I just stick to DL - maybe even get the 4 or 5 day hopper. or are there other things to do in anaheim without renting a car (i.e. how is the nearby shopping?)

This is our first trip to CA but I am willing to bet it won't be our last. the kids are still young and I know we will go back.

3 days should be good really good for Disneyland. You can see a lot in 3 days. As for Legoland, that would be perfect for little children.

If you did go somewhere else as well, I would say the zoo, cause they have the train rides and all sorts of animals for the children to be amuzed with. It will give you more of a variety of animals to choose from as "The favorites" which can broaden the mind and interests. To me that sounds a lot better then seeing a bunch of fish swimming in a tank, as beautiful as that may be.

As for Univeral Studios, its hard to go there with smaller children as there is so much to see that kids can slow you down. Granted there are things for kids to do there, and there is the city walk. But I find US to be more of an adult friendly place.

But if you plan to go to US, Sea World, or the Zoo, you will need a car, or you can bus it which would be very costly, or you can go and find the day pass with Grayline which you just pay for a one day pass at those location and Grayline gives you free transportation there and back.

Be warned that you've picked THE absolute busiest time of the entire year to go--it's going to be very, very, very crowded. Lines will be very long (meaning above 30-45 or more minutes for most rides, some may be 2-3 hours). Also, it's the rainy season, so it could very well rain every day. A couple of years ago it rained that entire time. Last year it poured on New Years Eve and Day for most of the day.

I agree with a PP that you are going during a crazy busy time. That being the case and with the ages of the kids going, I would personally skip NYE at DLR and head to Sea World or Legoland. NYE is wall to wall and hard for kids that small to tolerate. I would also say skip Univerasl because there really isn't much their for their ages.

Have a great trip, I persaonlly would spend all 5 days at DL just because of how crowded it will be but that's just me! As a PP said, the Zoo would be great also!

Andrea

First trip ever - busiest time of the year - I would go for a 5 day park hopper. We tried our first year to hit Sea World on our five day trip - and we were so exhausted and cranky it was not worth it for us. The parks will be crowded, but there will be lots of shows, great decorations, and other things that you can do to take it slow and relax. We usually go with three day park hoppers - and honestly, we have not yet seen a parade or show. This year (our 4th trip) we are getting 5 day park hoppers - and staying an extra night so that we can relax a little bit more and see everything.

As a mother of 2 who drove from Newport Beach to San Diego for Sea World....expect a s-l-o-w drive, which means to Carlsbad as well. It was 70 miles & it took us 3 hours, on a Saturday. I'm from AZ, we don't experience delays like that! :sad2:

Personally, if I were taking both my kids I would do a 4 day DL trip b/c it gives nap time for the little ones so everyone can take the fun at a slow pace (rested kid means happy kid!). Then I'd use the rest of my time to hang at the beach (Balboa, Newport, Huntington are closest). But that's just me, the mom who sat in 3 hours of SoCal traffic. :rolleyes:

There are great amusement parks, no doubt, but I'd prefer to do one area at a time to cut my travel time. ;)

oh, thats a tough one. I agree with other posters, skip Universal. We sent to US in December last year and my 3 y/o was so bored. Besides getting to see Spongebob and Dora, she got to do the tram ride (which she slept through) and I felt so bad for her.

My kids love animals so Sea World and the Zoo are great hits. However, we went to Legoland in the Spring and it was SUCH A HIT. My 8 y/o could go on every ride (and he is VERY short) and my 3 y/o had such a blast. Now, when we went there weren't many crowds so we could let them run all over the place. I always panic at Disneyland when they take more than 3 steps away from me.

If you are looking for down time, I'd stick with staying in Anaheim and getting a 4 or 5 day parkhopper. That way you at least have the option to go just in the morning if you want and then take the afternoon off when crowds get really crazy.

Honestly I would stick to just Disneyland. It's going to be busy, so 5 days will ive you more time to relax and catch your breathe. With the crowds and only 3 days you will have to rush to see everything (even just the stuff for little ones) Personally I think San Diego is a destination in and of itself that would take several days to appreciate. This time just enjoy Disney, next time try San Diego.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter