Just Got Back

Amy&Dan

DIS Veteran
We just returned yesterday from six nights/six days at Disneyland and the Grand Californian. Here are a few of my observations:

Grand Californian:
We loved the GCH. I was really bummed we were staying there at first (go figure) because I love the DLH. When we first got to our room I thought it looked small and dark but it really, really, grew on me. We had a bunk bed room facing the monorail/courtyard (room 4148). It was very quiet, the balcony was such a plus and my kids (9,11) loved the bunkbeds. Also, since it had a trundle they had to allow plenty of room between the bed and bunkbeds to pull that out (which we never did), which gave our kids plenty of space to play and hang out in. The room was spotless and there were no bed bugs ;) ! The level of customer service at this hotel was so incredible I cannot even express it. Always prompt, always courteous, you pay top dollar and they do their best to make you feel like you are getting what you paid for. And we loved our nightly turndown service. They would freshen up our room, give us clean towels and run the vacum (I knew this because the Pringle's and Cheetoh crumbs were all gone which was nice!). The location is so incredible. It became our ritual to ride GRR right before our midday swim/rest break, which was so nice to have only a little ways to walk dripping wet and soggy. I think we have a new favorite although I still do love the Disneyland Hotel!

Crowds:
It was very crowded. All I can say is get there early. If you have Early Entry privilidges, use them. We were at the parks at 7:00 each day EE was offered and by 9:00 the place was packed. One morning my husband got a fastpass at about 9:30 a.m. for Space Mountain and the return time was for 10:30 that night. They didn't always open the fastpass machines for Splash Mountain until later, they said they sell out so quickly that people getting into the park after 9:00 a.m. can't always get them. Go to Tomorrowland early, it packs up first because its open for EE. Frontierland and Critter Country fill up much later. In fact, BTMR is a good bet, even on Monday of this week which was horribly crowded (our most crowded day, way worse than Saturday) the standby line for that one didn't ever seem to get above 35 minutes. Buzz was also a good bet, fastpasses available all day into the night and waits rarely above 35-40 minutes. There is no fastpass for Indy right now, we never did get to ride that one. Partly because we were travelling with my brother and his wife who have five year old daughters too young/short for that one and partly because we avoided Adventureland at all costs, it was a mob scene. Due to the way they have Pirates and part of New Orleans Square all roped off makes crowds in Adventureland even worse than usual. It will be really nice when all of that is back to normal and thousands of people can ride Pirates each day which will get them off the walkways. Haunted Mansion was frequently mobbed which I haven't seen since our Christmas trip awhile back. But with fastpass and EE we never waited in a line for more than 20 minutes. I really do notice the narrower walkways at DL during high crowds. We were at WDW during the week between Christmas and New Years and it didn't feel as crowded. The waits were for rides at WDW at that time were about like what we had this week, but there just didn't seem to be the human traffic jams like what we had this past week at Disneyland. But people were mostly nice and considerate and the cm's did their best so it worked out fine. But I made my kids, even the 11 year old hang onto dh's and mine's hands for dear life! And if you think you can get from DCA following the Electrical Parade back into Disneyland for Remember, forget it. The mass of people trying to do that same thing makes getting through the turnstiles of both parks very time consuming. We saw the EE just once and on that night we exited into the area between the two parks and saw the fireworks in front of the "California" letters. It was actually a good view of the fireworks but of course no castle affects could be seen. We did this another night with a friend we had dinner with at RFC who didn't have a park ticket, and on that night they played the Remember music in that area which was nice but they don't always do that unfortunately.

We had a great time, the crowds were about like what I thought they would be given our time frame. I would totally go again this time again next year. The longer hours are nice and I really do think that once POC is back up that will help matters tremendously with crowd flow. Now just time to shake those post trip blues and start planning for the next one!

grimley1968 said:
Thanks for the report!

We go to GCH this Saturday, and stay until 7/2. We can't wait!

Have a great trip, you will love the GCH!

Thanks for the report! :thumbsup2
It looks like I am going to have to rethink my Fastpass strategy. Does the information board show whether the FP machine is open for Splash? We plan to get there before opening on Wed and Fri (no EE) and my plan was to get FP for Space and Splash early, but I was going with the RideMax estimate of being able to get them as late as early afternoon. Now I am wondering which to get first. I was really trying to minimize running back and forth across the park but it looks like I will have to.

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for the report!

I have a question. You mentioned that your used EE on all the days that it was offered. Is this a perk for onsite guests? If so, what if anything do you have to show as proof for entry? We are staying at the GC in July so EE more than once during our stay would be a good thing.

Hi Amy - sounds like you had a great trip. We just got back on Monday from our 10 day trip to WDW. Everything worked out fine, and my questionable foot held up really well. I am working on a trip report now.

For everyone's info, I suspect that Amy's experience might be a bit of an anomaly. Her advice to use EE, get to the parks early, and use FP is of course right on. Each June DLR implements blackouts on Annual Passes for Southern Californians (see http://www.mouseplanet.com/misc.php?pg=blackout) and so after school gets out in SoCal (mid-June) people rush to get in one last visit as they cannot go back until late August using their AP. I'll bet that influenced the crowds.

My prediction - drum roll please... - is that DLR will continue to be crowded thru July 4th because of the Pirates of the Caribbean re-opening (June 26) and then will become more reasonable after the 4th, especially on week days.

Sounds like a wonderful time, but crowded! I really hope as you said once POTC is open again it won't be so bad for when we go in two weeks.

I'm glad you liked the GCH too, it is a wonderful hotel. I'm like you though, love my DLH. But being so close with GCH is sooooo nice, and I agree the balcony is great too.

If anyone is interested, I just posted a lengthy trip report on the trip reports board:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=13151939#post13151939

Hydroguy, I think the biggest factor for crowds this past week was the Pirates Premier setup (which won't be applicable after the 24th when it reopens) not the AP reason. This was our third time going this time of year since we go then to spend Father's Day with my father in law who lives in LA. I have never seen it like this. The reason was that with the Pirates Premier next weekend, the walkway in front of Rivers of America was completely closed. You had to go through Adventureland or through a very small part of New Orleans Square. I wondered if that is why they had fastpass closed off for Indy, to try to have as many people waiting in that line and not idling about waiting for their fastpasses to come up. Once you got into Frontierland it wasn't that bad, we were always able to walk onto Winnie the Pooh and the character meet and greet right there wasn't too bad. DCA was also more crowded than I have seen but still manageable. I heard some lady complaining to a CM about long waits at restaurants over there and he said they just hadn't scheuled enough people at DCA since they had no idea that so many people would be there, fleeing Disneyland. The last time we went at this time, DCA was always deserted, not so this time. GRR had 90 minute waits in the afternoon. Soarin was usually between 45-70 so pretty average for that one. Monsters Inc was hit or miss, sometimes we walked on, sometimes it was a mob scene. So yes, it was an anomly, but not because of the AP thing which we have run into three years in a row now but rather just having a huge section of the park closed off. And since Pirates was closed that meant that the several thousand people a day that ride that weren't riding it, they were everywhere else! It was just the logistics of getting from one part of the park to another which thankfully will be a short lived problem, that made crowds so much a factor for us.

To answer Karylrocks question, the ride board did not show if fastpass was available yet for Splash, but the cm who works there will be able to tell you. I think most of the days Splash seemed to run out of fp's by around three or four o'clock, so much later than the Space Mountain ones. Since Tomorrowland is open for EE, that part of the park just fills up faster. It was frustrating when twice my husband got all the way over there only to find they weren't open yet and couldn't tell him when they would. So after two times of that he listened to me and started checking with the ride board cm! We didn't ride it as much since getting over there was such a pain (we had seven people total). That won't be applicable for your visit since Pirates will be open which will help with traffic and give people something else to ride, that will be hugely popular and hopefully decrease the numbers trying to ride Space/Splash Mountain. Buzz and BTMRR had fp's available for us each day as late as 8:00 p.m. And the standyby waits for those rides were usually no longer than 35-40 minutes. So for fp strategy I would just do Space first then work your way over to Splash Mountain after the machines have opened. Standby waits for Splash were really minimal early on too which was nice.

And to Starlette: Early Entry is currently offered on Mondays Tuesdays, Thrusdays and Saturday's. On those days the park opens one hour early. You will be eligible each day it is open for that since you are staying at the GCH. Make sure you have your room charge slip of paper to prove you are onsite, they won't let you in without the proof. A room key does not work for this as they don't have any date or name information on them.

Thanks so much for the trip report, got me all reved up for my trip in December :sunny:

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking from your original post that you were saying that Splash was running out of FP shortly after 9am. My plan is to get a Space FP, then ride standby, then ride Buzz, get a Buzz FP, do Star Tours and maybe Autopia and head over to get a Splash FP by 10, do Pirates and HM, get another Splash FP, hang out in the area and maybe do Tiki Room and Billy Hill, get an Indy FP, and leave before the afternoon parade. This is on Wednesday so DS wants to go to ESPN Zone to watch the NBA draft (priorities, even in DL). I used to worry that my family wouldn't like having every minute planned out, but I found out that they count on it!

I am expecting it to be crazy with Pirates re-opening, but we have 2 and a half days in DL plus one day for DCA so there is room for some flexibility and enough time to do our favorites 2 or 3 times.

I have not stayed at GCH but hope to someday. Stayed at PP (before it changed to that) and DLH; this time staying at Anaheim Hilton because I got a great deal.

HydroGuy said:
My prediction - drum roll please... - is that DLR will continue to be crowded thru July 4th because of the Pirates of the Caribbean re-opening (June 26) and then will become more reasonable after the 4th, especially on week days.

I hope you're right because I'll be there for 5 days Monday-Friday July 10-14!!! Just me and 3 little kids.... (ages 4, 6, and 7) :crazy:

JULIE

"And to Starlette: Early Entry is currently offered on Mondays Tuesdays, Thrusdays and Saturday's. On those days the park opens one hour early. You will be eligible each day it is open for that since you are staying at the GCH. Make sure you have your room charge slip of paper to prove you are onsite, they won't let you in without the proof. A room key does not work for this as they don't have any date or name information on them."

Thank you so much for your prompt response. You are so gracious! I was unaware of this perk. How exciting. I have to some planning to do! Thanks again!!

I'm so glad you had fun on your trip. It looks like you did all the right things, especially with the crowds you saw. I thought Sunday wasn't so crowded, but then, I really only went on HM, and saw a few shows.

Thanks for all the tips. They're spot on. :flower:

Amy&Dan -- I thought about you when we were there last week and met a slew of people from Colorado (they introduced me to Croc shoes). I remember reading that you were planning a stay at the GCH. For the most part, we managed to just beat the crowds. We arrived on Tue the 13th (DS got out of school around 1, and we were on the road within a 1/2 hour). We left early on Sat., after EE and a few Indy rides w/o FP. Tue - Thur was great! The crowds were pretty light with few of the usual traffic jams between the Dole Whip stand and Bengal Barbeque. We were able to get FPs pretty easily; some rides had FPs available well into the evening. It got much more crowded on Friday, and worse still over the weekend.

We were told that the setup for the premier was the reason for temporarily discontinuing the Indy FP. I bet that had a big impact on FPs for other rides.

I'm so glad you loved GCH! One does get spoiled by its attention to details and location. I also love being able to dash up to my room after riding GRR. GCH is definitely my favorite, but like you, I still love the DLH. This trip, we stayed in the Marina Tower 5th floor overlooking the pool (even tho we booked a city view). It was very nice, but we did miss the chocolates on the pillow.

Welcome home!

JulieNMM said:
I hope you're right because I'll be there for 5 days Monday-Friday July 10-14!!!

Those are the exact days we will be there! How exciting! Me and the boys!

karylrocks said:
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking from your original post that you were saying that Splash was running out of FP shortly after 9am. My plan is to get a Space FP, then ride standby, then ride Buzz, get a Buzz FP, do Star Tours and maybe Autopia and head over to get a Splash FP by 10, do Pirates and HM, get another Splash FP, hang out in the area and maybe do Tiki Room and Billy Hill, get an Indy FP, and leave before the afternoon parade. This is on Wednesday so DS wants to go to ESPN Zone to watch the NBA draft (priorities, even in DL). I used to worry that my family wouldn't like having every minute planned out, but I found out that they count on it!

I am expecting it to be crazy with Pirates re-opening, but we have 2 and a half days in DL plus one day for DCA so there is room for some flexibility and enough time to do our favorites 2 or 3 times.

I have not stayed at GCH but hope to someday. Stayed at PP (before it changed to that) and DLH; this time staying at Anaheim Hilton because I got a great deal.

Yes, sorry that my original post was confusing! We have always gotten Splash fp's first but this time when we tried that it didn't work since the machines weren't open! I think this may have contributed to Space fp's running out so early since many people just automatically got those instead plus the fact that Tomorrowland is open for EE and that just creates so many people over there right off the bat. If you have two and half days you can probably see and do everything you want. With seven people, two of whom were small kids we needed our five full days but we had a lot of repeats in that time frame! Your touring plan sounds great, my family is like yours, they love my overplanning on Disney vacations! Have a great trip and enjoy the Hilton, I can never get a good rate there which is too bad since I always hear great things about it. Have fun!

CalGal said:
Amy&Dan -- I thought about you when we were there last week and met a slew of people from Colorado (they introduced me to Croc shoes). I remember reading that you were planning a stay at the GCH. For the most part, we managed to just beat the crowds. We arrived on Tue the 13th (DS got out of school around 1, and we were on the road within a 1/2 hour). We left early on Sat., after EE and a few Indy rides w/o FP. Tue - Thur was great! The crowds were pretty light with few of the usual traffic jams between the Dole Whip stand and Bengal Barbeque. We were able to get FPs pretty easily; some rides had FPs available well into the evening. It got much more crowded on Friday, and worse still over the weekend.

We were told that the setup for the premier was the reason for temporarily discontinuing the Indy FP. I bet that had a big impact on FPs for other rides.

I'm so glad you loved GCH! One does get spoiled by its attention to details and location. I also love being able to dash up to my room after riding GRR. GCH is definitely my favorite, but like you, I still love the DLH. This trip, we stayed in the Marina Tower 5th floor overlooking the pool (even tho we booked a city view). It was very nice, but we did miss the chocolates on the pillow.

Welcome home!

I didn't realize you were there during our visit! Get yourself some Crocs, they are wonderful! Once you get over the embarrassment of wearing shoes that look like shower shoes, you will love them. They are that "so ugly, they're cute" kind of thing.

The GCH was indeed wonderful. I remembered how much you love it and now I see why. And the chocolates were so nice, we saved some and ate them today which was rather depressing. Welcome home to you too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter