• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just have to vent... Disney buses

The whole "rent a car" or "take a taxi" things are valid points and good ideas, but one of the perks of staying onsite is that you can let Disney do the driving. Transportation costs are included in the prices you are paying at the resort. I do find a 52 minute wait unacceptable when Disney takes on the onus of guest transportation, and then charges you if you're late.

I've stayed at POP a couple of times and never had an issue, except for late departures from MK. We just hopped on the AOA bus and walked that time, and it was fine. I'm kind of concerned about POR because we check in in 2 days, and we're going to be in Aligator Bayou (5 person rooms). Any tips? Just head to the main stop every morning?

No, do not necessarily head for the main stop every morning. Pay attention to THIS, generously provided by Andre: http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php

I used this as my guideline to determine which stops to use which day this August and never once waited more than about 15 minutes for a bus. Often I had one within five.

It's funny that when we've stayed at any level above Value we've had issues with busses (especially at Moderates) but since we've been staying pretty much exclusively at POP we haven't really had an issue at all.
Agree, our best bus experiences were all at value, oh and POFQ. I will say that POR was the worst, both times we were there. We are staying at CBR this time, and have heard the nightmares, so just planning on driving everyday. Everyone knocks values, but buses are so much better there.

I've stayed at POP twice, and had an easy time with the buses there. I'm one of these silly people who kind of enjoys the excitement of the bus in the morning (but I'll admit, that veneer is gone when boarding one after a park closes).

That said, I'd expect the bus service to be better if I were paying more for a moderate or deluxe room, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Unfortunate that POR has such notorious bus issues. :(

OP - glad you made it to the show/dinner. I always stress making any of our ADRs but we tend to leave waaaaayyyy early for them since I overstress. Sorry you had such a long wait for the bus at POR. Honestly in all of my trips there, I have never experienced anything close to that long of a wait at POR. Happy things turned out okay for you all! Have a great rest of your trip!

The whole "rent a car" or "take a taxi" things are valid points and good ideas, but one of the perks of staying onsite is that you can let Disney do the driving. Transportation costs are included in the prices you are paying at the resort. I do find a 52 minute wait unacceptable when Disney takes on the onus of guest transportation, and then charges you if you're late.

I'd rather pay for a taxi then miss my ADR. It is a good thing no one is forced to use Disney transportation, isn't it?

I agree the bus service should have been better. But there is no way I would wait that long for a bus when trying to make an ADR.

I'd rather pay for a taxi then miss my ADR. It is a good thing no one is forced to use Disney transportation, isn't it?

I agree the bus service should have been better. But there is no way I would wait that long for a bus when trying to make an ADR.

I definitely agree. I'm just saying that Disney needs to do better with the buses, because a 52 minute wait is crazy. No one should feel compelled to take a taxi because the wait is that long, they should be able to rely on Disney transportation. When I'm paying onsite prices that include bus service, I don't want to shell out for a taxi on top of that. Disney should have bus service down to a science by now.

I definitely agree. I'm just saying that Disney needs to do better with the buses, because a 52 minute wait is crazy. No one should feel compelled to take a taxi because the wait is that long, they should be able to rely on Disney transportation. Not when people pay that kind of money to stay onsite, bus service is an advertised perk, and Disney has been running buses for years and years. They should have it down to a science.

Anything involving the public, and public roads, will never function down to a science. Heck, I've taken taxis and almost missed ADRs because of a glitch of some sort. Once, the taxi didn't show up, and another time someone's car had broken down right outside the gates to the Magic Kingdom. That created a huge traffic jam. There are too many variables for Disney to be able to say a bus will show up at an exact time, or at exact intervals.

It's funny that when we've stayed at any level above Value we've had issues with busses (especially at Moderates) but since we've been staying pretty much exclusively at POP we haven't really had an issue at all.
Our best bus experiences have been at the values too.

I'm glad (or should I say still disspointed) that bus service is as bad for others as it is for us when we are at POR. I had started to wonder if we were just jinxes for buses! When we visited in 2014 service was atrocious and there were SEVERAL times, early in the morning even, when we didn't see a bus for over 30 minutes. And we usually visit in the end of January when things aren't as crazy. I can't remember if I emailed when I got home or not, but I hope I did. Its sad because POR is such a wonderful resort, and as a family of 5 choices are limited when you're working on a budget. I know things happen, but good grief it shouldn't always be so stressful. Glad you made it to dinner OP!

Anything involving the public, and public roads, will never function down to a science. Heck, I've taken taxis and almost missed ADRs because of a glitch of some sort. Once, the taxi didn't show up, and another time someone's car had broken down right outside the gates to the Magic Kingdom. That created a huge traffic jam. There are too many variables for Disney to be able to say a bus will show up at an exact time, or at exact intervals.

I never said they should show up at exact times or intervals. But an hour between buses seems excessive, and unreliable for a company that advertises transportation as a main perk for staying onsite.

Then maybe they should remove all the signs that say busses run approximately every 20 minutes. If you don't want people to expect this then don't tell them that's what you'll do.

Then maybe they should remove all the signs that say busses run approximately every 20 minutes. If you don't want people to expect this then don't tell them that's what you'll do.

Buses do run approximately every twenty minutes. Sometimes there are glitches with it, for sure. But note that no where do they state buses run exactly every 20 minutes. I'm not saying the OP got good bus service, far from it. I'm just saying anyone who thinks there is a way for Disney to guarantee every 20 minutes is wishing for the impossible. You simply cannot guarantee something like that.

That atrocious wait yesterday was the only one so far anywhere near that bad. Besides the wait at park closing with the long lines (as to be expected), our waits have been more like 10 minutes on average for a bus to arrive. We've had one or two 20 minute waits. The problem is, at POR, if you load at the first of the four bus stops, you have a good 10-15 extra minutes to stop at the other three bus depots before actually leaving the resort.

-Dan

Disney should make bus only lanes and upgrade the signal controllers so buses get priority at the intersections. More people would take the buses if they were more reliable.

I held off moving this thread to see if you made it, you did. I'm happy for you and family and hope rest of your visit is not stressful but magical. :):):):):) Danny

We called on the phone at the bus stop when we waited for 20 minutes just to say the bus wasn't coming

I held off moving this thread to see if you made it, you did. I'm happy for you and family and hope rest of your visit is not stressful but magical. :):):):):) Danny

No problem Danny. Just had to vent yesterday. It's been excellent since then, just how it's been all week except for this particular instance. Our Wishes FP's for that same night were great. Went to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party tonight and had a fantastic time... had a great spot for the hocus-pocus show and the fireworks. And an unbelievable location for the parade.

-Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter