Just looking for some thoughts....

Jon99

DIS Veteran
1. Our last trip to WDW was last December..

2. We will be having our first child in September...

3. My wife is a school teacher and I own a lawncare business, so about the only time we can get away for a whole week is either at Christmas time or spring break, though we could do a 4-5 day trip during other parts of the year...

So considering all of that, when would most of you try to get in a trip to WDW???

Given all the parameters to consider, my own choice would be to go next spring.

The reasons for this mainly center around your new baby.

December is a crazy time for most people. It can be difficult to handle the holidays AND a new baby. It will only be more difficult if you throw a major vacation into the mix.

By spring, you and your DW will have had more time to adjust to the demands of parenthood and will be more at ease with your baby's individual needs, likes and dislikes.

Also, the weather will be warmer and you will not need to pack those extra blankets and sweaters that a baby needs. Newborns cannot regulate their body temperatures as well as older infants. December can be very cold , even in WDW. A newborn will get chilly quite easily.

Newborns also eat more often than a 6-month old infant. This would require you to stop your touring more frequently in order to accomodate this need. You will also need to carry formula and bottles if your DW is not nursing the baby.

Oh, and congratulations on your impending parenthood! Your life will never be the same! It's going to be so much richer!

Not sure on this one. The baby would be about 3 months old in Dec., right? And 6or 7 months depending on when Spring Break is? I've taken two 6 month olds to WDW. Both were pretty great trips. The baby was still small enough that they both slept in the stroller for naps. We went during Nov., so heat was not a problem. We really used the Baby care stations a lot- especially for mixing bottles (it is hard to find hot water in WDW).
I don't know about taking a 3 month old- if the baby is healthy when born, I don't guess there would be major health concerns. Talk to your pediatrician.
You might want to take weather into consideration. September and March, April will probably have about the same temperatures? You might want to check historical weather- Deb Willis' sight has this I think. It may rain a lot during the spring- which could make for a miserable trip with a baby. Not sure what I advise, just some thoughts.
Good luck in making your decision!

Sorry, I got mixed up on the weather part- got Sept. and Dec. mixed up. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons. Yes, Spring Break could bring rain. But then again, it could be very cold in Dec.- even in Orlando. I think I would prefer the rain. We've been twice during Thanksgiving and while we never experienced freezing weather, we needed long sleeves at night. Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter