Just off the Wish - my long form review for no reason

JayhawkCruiser

Mouseketeer
**Update Below**

Wanted to give some thoughts on the Wish after a 3 night sailing, now two months into full operations, just in case it may help someone trying to decide between ships to sail on.

First - what a beautiful, magical, lovely, nearly perfect, missed opportunity, frustrating ship. It’s not really a love-hate thing for me, as there’s truly nothing to hate, but more of a love-‘why in the seven seas did they go this route?’. I kept trying to ask myself if this was a case of being used to the look and flow of the other ships, and my frustrations were my own fault for projecting my expectations - but after more thought now off the ship I don’t think that’s the case, and there’s some truly head scratching, mostly minor, things that are just off.

Staterooms - not a single flaw. They’re perfect in every way and a welcome upgrade from the placement of the larger flag panel TVs, to the updated showers with glass doors, and the lovely lighted mirrors. It’s all well thought out and familiar yet refreshed. We were lucky enough to have a balcony room on the forward bump out, and while not really any larger on the balcony area it did provide an interesting change from the other ships. I’d book this type of room again, but wouldn’t get bent out of shape if it wasn’t available or change a preferred floor even just to get it.

Senses (specifically the rainforest room) - nearly $500 for a couple for a 3 day cruise pass? Hard pass. We did opt for a single day pass though which was a much more palatable $90/person. Price aside, it’s a very lovely experience completely unlike the rainforest on the other class of ships. The new ice room is a welcome change, and the outdoor area is a great retreat if you’re into sun bathing or relaxing on their giant outdoor swing chairs. Two larger hot tubs was also a great idea. My only gripe is why didn’t they bring over the scented storm showers from the Fantasy? They’re beloved. The showers they installed here aren’t nearly as fun.

Bars - such a different experience from say the Dream or Fantasy, as there’s no ‘district’ but they’re nearly all super fun and a great excuse to explore the ship as you hop around. The Bayou in particular is a lovely lounge, and I almost never enjoy the lounge bar(s) on the other ships.
The Rose was also another aesthetically pleasing spot for a refreshment with great drinks and views.
Throwing cove in here too, which is another example of nearly perfect, but is frustratingly difficult to get to compared to the other ships, and missing the Moka pot experience :(.
Wishing Star and Enchanted Sword Cafes… did they really just stack nearly identical bars in identical places just one floor apart? Kinda weird, kinda lazy?
Hyperspace is super cool, especially if you’re into Star Wars. It’s worth checking out all the same, but it’s not a proper cocktail bar like Skyline, which would have been welcomed on this ship’s lineup.
Keg & Compass is a homerun, but they made the peculiar decision to try and host a beer tasting class during the middle of an NFL Sunday which nearly caused a riot until the class was moved/cancelled lol. Also they told us to ignore the draft menu as it didn’t remotely resemble what they had available on tap, which is fine but not in line with many experiences we’ve had on DCL.
Luna - love the upper deck aspect of this multipurpose longe and bar, very cool.
Nightingales - could have been a homerun too, but it looks like it comfortably seats 6, is too exposed on the main deck to lights and those passing by for the swanky piano bar vibe it’s going for. Also no piano player our cruise - what’s that about?

Premium restaurants - didn’t opt for either as we wanted to experience each MDR first, but after exploring Enchante I don’t think we will anyway on our next booking. I’ve done Palo on the other ships for a lifetime, and if they truly are no longer doing a flat fee for everything at this restaurant it’s even less worth it to me. But Enchante is one of the biggest gripes for me. We absolutely love Remy, it’s dining experience, and would have been perfectly fine with a copy paste from the Fantasy to the Wish. After all, the restaurant is beautiful and happens to be an appropriate Disney IP that works with a fine dining setting without being ‘too in your face Disney’. Enchante, while pretty, just kind of lacks any magic and I didn’t find its decor to be any more elevated that Remy.

Elevators - deserves its own shoutout for two silly reasons. 1) if you’re going to have a bank of elevators that goes from deck 2-11 next to a bank that goes from 2-13…make separate call buttons. And 2) make the buttons, buttons. Whoever designed these hover buttons could never have actually ridden in a crowded elevator with people before as people lean against whatever surface they can. In this case that means someone leans against the button panel and suddenly you’re stopping on every floor. I’m convinced Buddy the Elf designed this.

Gym - the layout is a bit tight for those looking to lift. Kind of a running theme on this ship. But, what you lose in space there you gain in a cycling studio which was awesome - highly recommend signing up for a class or two.

Shopping - meh. Why the 5th floor for Mickey’s mainsail? Also, why so small/tight?

Quick Service Food - mostly good! The cantina and BBQ are surprisingly good (mostly). The chicken tenders and burgers stand are what they are and have been. The pizza is consistently atrocious across all ships 😂. Marceline Market is so beautiful, but wow can it get tight at times. Also it appears to have more seating (at the expense of proper walkways) but yet I always struggled to find a table or bar stool? Lastly, and most importantly, the food was just okay. Did happen to see some lazy repeat options carried over all three days which I didn’t recall happening at any Cabanas.

MDRs - saved the best/worst for last.
Marvel - I love the MCU, particularly Ant-man. I do not however really care to dine in an entire restaurant devoted to either. The whole show story was kinda lame, but I did laugh for a solid 5 mins since they referenced a very not safe for Disney internet meme that only Twitter/Reddit obsessed degenerates like me would get. That was wild and surreal 😂. But the food was forgettable at best, and the whole time I’m thinking “this could have been an animators palate”. Seriously, that could have been the one thing that Disney could have used to tie all of its ships together. It’s universally beloved. This was by far the biggest mistake they made with the ship. Moreover, what’s the end game (no pun intended) here? Reshoot this restaurant story with new characters every 5 years or so as the MCU changes? Let it age and hold us captive to a show that eventually goes the way of the Figment ride? Animators Palate once again would have solved this, and just a textbook example of fixing what isn’t broken or looking for solutions to problems that don’t exist.
Arendale - gorgeous. The layout was perfect. The show was nothing short of amazing. The food… kinda meh but better than Marvel.
1923 - undeniably beautiful. Amazing theme. But for the love of Walt why did they decide to split a MDR, especially the “grand one” in half? I felt like the vastness of the main floor MDR on all the ships is what helps make the primary MDR feel so magical and elegant. The tight corners, nooks and crannies of this restaurant really don’t let it live up to its potential. All for the sake of putting in a hallway down the middle of the ship when off to the side has always worked just fine? In any case the food was probably the best here.
All three though were lacking the magical service we’ve come to know and love from DCL. To be honest, it’s what makes you justify opening up your wallet a little more for sailing DCL. I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk this up to still being a relatively new process for everyone, as the servers looked stressed and flows just not there yet. This was a similar theme at most of the bars across the ship too. The service level just isn’t quite up to Disney standards - though I’d never go as far as to request tips be removed like one person I saw doing at guest services.

Overall - design where beauty over function or change for change sake was clearly a running theme in the drawing room. It’s not as if the other ships are without their flaws, it’s more like this was a missed opportunity for a perfect ship. They nearly got it completely right, but alas it’s still beautiful, still fun, and still Disney.

The very TL;DR - if this is your first DCL experience, I’d highly recommend any other ship as you owe it to yourself from a service perspective to see what makes DCL special. If you’ve been on any other ship, especially the Fantasy or Dream, I think it’s worth sailing at least once.

**UPDATE**
We just stepped off the ship after a 4 day sailing this morning - so roughly 4 months have passed since our first Wish sailing experience described above. I thought it would be nice to provide an update on the notable differences we've already seen in such a relatively short period of time.
Overall, there were a lot of welcomed improvements!

First, the MDR food - WOW. 1000x better. Delicious. We traveled with larger sailing party than just the two of us for once, so our table covered most of each menu every night, and truly there were hardly any clunkers. Even the pirate menu was memorable. Two things to note - 1) Welcome back physical menus! 2) Presently there's a high likelihood that the menu on the app is not the same menu that you'll receive at dinner. Not a big deal, but if you like to preview what's coming before you arrive at the restaurant, just note they may not match.

Entertainment - Insanely good. Every evening show was as good as on any other Disney ship, and truthfully probably even a notch above thanks to the amazing tech they've incorporated into the theatre. The adult evening entertainment is familiar yet always excellent, and the sea day had lots to offer for everyone. One special callout is The Victrophonics shows. Do not miss these. On our cruise it was only offered the first day - however I heard a rumor they are looking to bring this act back multiple days due to the reception it's received. So good.

Dining Service - I think this is limited to just our Server and Assistant Server, so ymmv. It was poor. Really below the Disney standard. I don't think they remembered our names, would disappear for long stretches of the service, and our glasses were often empty for quite a while. There was once where they both forgot to bring one of our friends their drink that they had to request for three times. I think this was DCL cruise number 8 for us, and prior to our last Wish sailing, every evening I recall our servers remembering our drink order from the first night and either bringing them to us without asking, or confirming if we'd still like that beverage right when we were seated.
This was also our first time sailing with a child in our group, which was our friend's 4yo. One thing that stood out to them was both our servers made very little effort to acknowledge or interact with her, and did offer the usual Disney service touches like cutting up the food for small children. I know that sounds petty, because of course it's not a laborious task and I know parents are accustom to doing this for their children daily, but we noticed several other tables with small children were receiving this magical level of service still. But, for that matter they didn't really care to interact with us at all - so maybe we just suck or give off bad vibes? However - nearly all the tables around us seemed to have great service, with fun and engaging interactions from their servers.
What also makes me think that this was limited to just our service is we decided to have lunch on our sea day at 1923. While lunch service isn't nearly as hectic as dinner I imagine, we still had a lovely time with both servers who took care of us. What stood out to me more was even though we only had a few minutes of interaction with our lead server for lunch, and had never met her prior, she made a point to greet my wife and I at Marceline Market the next day when she was working there, with the biggest smile, and even remembered both of our names. That was super impressive and really nice.

Bar Service - Personally, we didn't really have a great experience this time at several bars. I think the worst was at Keg and Compass, which sadly was the bar I looked forward to revisiting the most. Across the ship it seemed a lot of the bar service was just aloof, or not really interested in being there, but one example that really stood out was at Keg and Compass. We placed an order for a Guinness, which typically takes much longer due to the surge needing to settle before finishing the pour, so we weren't concerned at all after 5 minutes or so had gone by without it being delivered. I'd say there were about 5 other people in there with two bartenders and one server, so not overly busy either. We were engaged with a basketball game we were there to see, so at a commercial break I notice 15 minutes have gone by since we ordered, which then was super odd. I look over my shoulder to see if maybe it was waiting to still finish being poured, or on the bar top waiting to be delivered. Neither, and all of the staff had disappeared too. they were gone for another 5 minutes, and when they did they finally started pouring our beer and it was promptly delivered. I presume a keg change was needed? Maybe? And while I'm not owed an explanation or apology, I think in that situation it would have been customary.

Had one last weird, first time experience this trip to note - at Castaway we decided to try and eat lunch back on the ship. We arrived at Marceline at about 1:20ish, but were told the buffet had already closed for lunch, but both the sign and the app said 2pm. Not the end of the world, there's plenty of food elsewhere, but something to keep in mind if you find yourself in a similar situation.

Overall though, I think things are headed in the right direction for this lovely ship.

Last edited:
Wanted to give some thoughts on the Wish after a 3 night sailing, now two months into full operations, just in case it may help someone trying to decide between ships to sail on.

First - what a beautiful, magical, lovely, nearly perfect, missed opportunity, frustrating ship. It’s not really a love-hate thing for me, as there’s truly nothing to hate, but more of a love-‘why in the seven seas did they go this route?’. I kept trying to ask myself if this was a case of being used to the look and flow of the other ships, and my frustrations were my own fault for projecting my expectations - but after more thought now off the ship I don’t think that’s the case, and there’s some truly head scratching, mostly minor, things that are just off.

Staterooms - not a single flaw. They’re perfect in every way and a welcome upgrade from the placement of the larger flag panel TVs, to the updated showers with glass doors, and the lovely lighted mirrors. It’s all well thought out and familiar yet refreshed. We were lucky enough to have a balcony room on the forward bump out, and while not really any larger on the balcony area it did provide an interesting change from the other ships. I’d book this type of room again, but wouldn’t get bent out of shape if it wasn’t available or change a preferred floor even just to get it.

Senses (specifically the rainforest room) - nearly $500 for a couple for a 3 day cruise pass? Hard pass. We did opt for a single day pass though which was a much more palatable $90/person. Price aside, it’s a very lovely experience completely unlike the rainforest on the other class of ships. The new ice room is a welcome change, and the outdoor area is a great retreat if you’re into sun bathing or relaxing on their giant outdoor swing chairs. Two larger hot tubs was also a great idea. My only gripe is why didn’t they bring over the scented storm showers from the Fantasy? They’re beloved. The showers they installed here aren’t nearly as fun.

Bars - such a different experience from say the Dream or Fantasy, as there’s no ‘district’ but they’re nearly all super fun and a great excuse to explore the ship as you hop around. The Bayou in particular is a lovely lounge, and I almost never enjoy the lounge bar(s) on the other ships.
The Rose was also another aesthetically pleasing spot for a refreshment with great drinks and views.
Throwing cove in here too, which is another example of nearly perfect, but is frustratingly difficult to get to compared to the other ships, and missing the Moka pot experience :(.
Wishing Star and Enchanted Sword Cafes… did they really just stack nearly identical bars in identical places just one floor apart? Kinda weird, kinda lazy?
Hyperspace is super cool, especially if you’re into Star Wars. It’s worth checking out all the same, but it’s not a proper cocktail bar like Skyline, which would have been welcomed on this ship’s lineup.
Keg & Compass is a homerun, but they made the peculiar decision to try and host a beer tasting class during the middle of an NFL Sunday which nearly caused a riot until the class was moved/cancelled lol. Also they told us to ignore the draft menu as it didn’t remotely resemble what they had available on tap, which is fine but not in line with many experiences we’ve had on DCL.
Luna - love the upper deck aspect of this multipurpose longe and bar, very cool.
Nightingales - could have been a homerun too, but it looks like it comfortably seats 6, is too exposed on the main deck to lights and those passing by for the swanky piano bar vibe it’s going for. Also no piano player our cruise - what’s that about?

Premium restaurants - didn’t opt for either as we wanted to experience each MDR first, but after exploring Enchante I don’t think we will anyway on our next booking. I’ve done Palo on the other ships for a lifetime, and if they truly are no longer doing a flat fee for this restaurant it’s even less worth it to me. But Enchante is one of the biggest gripes for me. We absolutely love Remy, it’s dining experience, and would have been perfectly fine with a copy paste from the Fantasy to the Wish. After all, the restaurant is beautiful and happens to be an appropriate Disney IP that works with a fine dining setting without being ‘too in your face Disney’. Enchante, while pretty, just kind of lacks any magic and I didn’t find its decor to be any more elevated that Remy.

Elevators - deserves its own shoutout for two silly reasons. 1) if you’re going to have a bank of elevators that goes from deck 2-11 next to a bank that goes from 2-13…make separate call buttons. And 2) make the buttons, buttons. Whoever designed these hover buttons could never have actually ridden in a crowded elevator with people before as people lean against whatever surface they can. In this case that means someone leans against the button panel and suddenly you’re stopping on every floor. I’m convinced Buddy the Elf designed this.

Gym - the layout is a bit tight for those looking to lift. Kind of a running theme on this ship. But, what you lose in space there you gain in a cycling studio which was awesome - highly recommend signing up for a class or two.

Shopping - meh. Why the 5th floor for Mickey’s mainsail? Also, why so small/tight?

Quick Service Food - mostly good! The cantina and BBQ are surprisingly good (mostly). The chicken tenders and burgers stand are what they are and have been. The pizza is consistently atrocious across all ships 😂. Marceline Market is so beautiful, but wow can it get tight at times. Also it appears to have more seating (at the expense of proper walkways) but yet I always struggled to find a table or bar stool? Lastly, and most importantly, the food was just okay. Did happen to see some lazy repeat options carried over all three days which I didn’t recall happening at any Cabanas.

Marvel - I love the MCU, particularly Ant-man. I do not however really care to dine in an entire restaurant devoted to either. The whole show story was kinda lame, but I did laugh for a solid 5 mins since they referenced a very not safe for Disney internet meme that only Twitter/Reddit obsessed degenerates like me would get. That was wild and surreal 😂. But the food was forgettable at best, and the whole time I’m thinking “this could have been an animators palate”. Seriously, that could have been the one thing that Disney could have used to tie all of its ships together. It’s universally beloved. This was by far the biggest mistake they made with the ship. Moreover, what’s the end game (no pun intended) here? Reshoot this restaurant story with new characters every 5 years or so as the MCU changes? Let it age and hold us captive to a show that eventually goes the way of the Figment ride? Animators Palate once again would have solved this, and just a textbook example of fixing what isn’t broken or looking for solutions to problems that don’t exist.
Arendale - gorgeous. The layout was perfect. The show was nothing short of amazing. The food… kinda meh but better than Marvel.
1923 - undeniably beautiful. Amazing theme. But for the love of Walt why did they decide to split a MDR, especially the “grand one” in half? I felt like the vastness of the main floor MDR on all the ships is what helps make the primary MDR feel so magical and elegant. The tight corners, nooks and crannies of this restaurant really don’t let it live up to its potential. All for the sake of putting in a hallway down the middle of the ship when off to the side has always worked just fine? In any case the food was probably the best here.
All three thought we’re lacking the magical service we’ve come to know and love from DCL. To be honest, it’s what makes you justify opening up your wallet a little more for sailing DCL. I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk this up to still being a relatively new process for everyone, as the servers looked stressed and flows just not there yet. This was a similar theme at most of the bars across the ship too. The service level just isn’t quite up to Disney standards - though I’d never go as far as to request tips be removed like one person I saw doing at guest services.

Overall - design where beauty over function or change for change sake was clearly a running theme in the drawing room. It’s not as if the other ships are without their flaws, it’s more like this was a missed opportunity for a perfect ship. They nearly got it completely right, but alas it’s still beautiful, still fun, and still Disney.

The very TL;DR - if this is your first DCL experience, I’d highly recommend any other ship as you owe it to yourself from a service perspective to see what makes DCL special. If you’ve been on any other ship, especially the Fantasy or Dream, I think it’s worth sailing at least once.
Your review sums up my exact thoughts for the most part. We may or been on the same sailing if it was this past weekend. My husband and I did do the length of cruise pass for the rainforest room, I don’t regret doing it but I would never spend that money again. We LOVE the rainforest room on the fantasy, the showers on the fantasy are great, the views of the ocean! We missed both those things in the rainforrest room on the wish. My husband said what is the point of these showers it’s just like you are taking a shower in front of other people you turn them on choose the temperature no fun in that. It was a big disappointment for us.

The layout doesn’t make sense. I’m not sure if you made it up to the chip and dale pool - no one was ever up there and it makes me wonder why this space couldn’t of been utilized for an adults only area.

I still enjoyed the cruise, I felt like there was a lot lacking, I’d pick any of the other ships over the wish but it’s still a Disney cruise and it’s still a great time though like you said the service wasn’t up too par. There was a lot of issues. our first night we are at arendelles and we had checked our table number before leaving our state room. We took the elevator down we were in the aft anyways so from the three minutes it took to get us downstairs in the hallway, they were announcing that table numbers have changed and to refresh your apps so we refreshed your apps, and our table number had moved, so we go we are seated our table and I’m not kidding when I say that it was over 15 minutes before anyone came to our table and other tables around us had seated after us and had drinks and appetizers and eventually a server came over had no idea who we were called us by different names and had to write down our names and get our state room number no apologies for anyone like it wasn’t on the server so I don’t expect apology from them, but it just put a bad taste in our mouth and every single night there was issues with table numbers for other guests around us. People were just sitting wherever they wanted. It seemed like people were being moved. I think part of it had to do with other guess, not cruising Disney before not knowing the whole table number thing, but it was just a weird experience in the dining room is every single night around us.

I’m curious did the head server ever come to your table during your dinner?
Normally on all the other cruises we’ve taken this year the head server comes over and introduces themselves and stops by each night we never saw our head sever.

I felt like entertainment in terms of live music was lacking - on the fantasy each night before dinner or after there would be someone playing on the atrium even up till 11:15 I missed that.

It seems like space on the ship wasn’t used well like the lines for characters went down long hallways, very tight spaces, and it just doesn’t add up its a bigger ship but yet it feels smaller in someways.

Premium restaurants - didn’t opt for either as we wanted to experience each MDR first, but after exploring Enchante I don’t think we will anyway on our next booking. I’ve done Palo on the other ships for a lifetime, and if they truly are no longer doing a flat fee for everything at this restaurant it’s even less worth it to me. But Enchante is one of the biggest gripes for me. We absolutely love Remy, it’s dining experience, and would have been perfectly fine with a copy paste from the Fantasy to the Wish. After all, the restaurant is beautiful and happens to be an appropriate Disney IP that works with a fine dining setting without being ‘too in your face Disney’. Enchante, while pretty, just kind of lacks any magic and I didn’t find its decor to be any more elevated that Remy.

All three thought we’re lacking the magical service we’ve come to know and love from DCL. To be honest, it’s what makes you justify opening up your wallet a little more for sailing DCL. I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk this up to still being a relatively new process for everyone, as the servers looked stressed and flows just not there yet. This was a similar theme at most of the bars across the ship too. The service level just isn’t quite up to Disney standards - though I’d never go as far as to request tips be removed like one person I saw doing at guest services.

Oh I forgot to comment how awful the food was in marvel. I got the shrimp appetizer, the shrimp was okay, the grits flavorless, husband got the pork bao bun, and plant based ceviche and which came with a little side of candied popcorn? He took a bite of each, and that’s it. I got the mushroom ud on and it was so salty. You could not even eat it. My husband got the steak and the chicken schnitzel. He said the steak was very fatty and I had a bite of the chicken schnitzel and the chicken itself was good, but it was dry. I needed some sort of sauce and I also I forgot I got the pasta with the scallops. There was zero sauce on my pasta. The Sunday we got for dessert was good in the little mini brownies that they bring out those are actually the best part of the meal.

Your review sums up my exact thoughts for the most part. We may or been on the same sailing if it was this past weekend. My husband and I did do the length of cruise pass for the rainforest room, I don’t regret doing it but I would never spend that money again. We LOVE the rainforest room on the fantasy, the showers on the fantasy are great, the views of the ocean! We missed both those things in the rainforrest room on the wish. My husband said what is the point of these showers it’s just like you are taking a shower in front of other people you turn them on choose the temperature no fun in that. It was a big disappointment for us.

The layout doesn’t make sense. I’m not sure if you made it up to the chip and dale pool - no one was ever up there and it makes me wonder why this space couldn’t of been utilized for an adults only area.

I still enjoyed the cruise, I felt like there was a lot lacking, I’d pick any of the other ships over the wish but it’s still a Disney cruise and it’s still a great time though like you said the service wasn’t up too par. There was a lot of issues. our first night we are at arendelles and we had checked our table number before leaving our state room. We took the elevator down we were in the aft anyways so from the three minutes it took to get us downstairs in the hallway, they were announcing that table numbers have changed and to refresh your apps so we refreshed your apps, and our table number had moved, so we go we are seated our table and I’m not kidding when I say that it was over 15 minutes before anyone came to our table and other tables around us had seated after us and had drinks and appetizers and eventually a server came over had no idea who we were called us by different names and had to write down our names and get our state room number no apologies for anyone like it wasn’t on the server so I don’t expect apology from them, but it just put a bad taste in our mouth and every single night there was issues with table numbers for other guests around us. People were just sitting wherever they wanted. It seemed like people were being moved. I think part of it had to do with other guess, not cruising Disney before not knowing the whole table number thing, but it was just a weird experience in the dining room is every single night around us.

I’m curious did the head server ever come to your table during your dinner?
Normally on all the other cruises we’ve taken this year the head server comes over and introduces themselves and stops by each night we never saw our head sever.

I felt like entertainment in terms of live music was lacking - on the fantasy each night before dinner or after there would be someone playing on the atrium even up till 11:15 I missed that.

It seems like space on the ship wasn’t used well like the lines for characters went down long hallways, very tight spaces, and it just doesn’t add up its a bigger ship but yet it feels smaller in someways.
I think we were on the same cruise then! And totally agree with your points.
As for the head server this was the one time where we actually saw them twice lol! But sadly our main servers didn’t really greet us warmly, didn’t seem to remember our names, once forgot to offer recommendations (not the end of the world, but sometimes I can be persuaded when they’re passionate about a dish and they’re always right), and my glass of water went empty and stayed empty for quite a while - a first after 7 cruises with DCL.

I think we were on the same cruise then! And totally agree with your points.
As for the head server this was the one time where we actually saw them twice lol! But sadly our main servers didn’t really greet us warmly, didn’t seem to remember our names, once forgot to offer recommendations (not the end of the world, but sometimes I can be persuaded when they’re passionate about a dish and they’re always right), and my glass of water went empty and stayed empty for quite a while - a first after 7 cruises with DCL.
Exactly the same with our drinks on this cruise I was without water for over 10 minutes on our Marvel night and our server and assistant server didn’t appear to have many tables compared to the fantasy in April.

I’m still very happy we got to try the wish, and of course I’d go on it again just not anytime soon. Luckily for us we have two more planned this year, one on the fantasy, and one on the dream and the whole time on the wish I kept thinking how excited I am for the fantasy cruise in October.

Thoughts on the adult areas of the wish? All the reviews say it is so small and all the loungers are in the sun. This is keeping us from booking the wish!

Concerning staterooms, the inside rooms removing the Magic Porthole is a weird omission. Not the category you stayed in, but worth noting. That’s a misstep in my book since it wasn’t replaced with anything else.

The cafe menus here list Moka as an option:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2022/07/disney-wish-menus-bars-cafes-lounges/

Did they really not have it? Is it broken or something?
Lastly, and most importantly, the food was just okay. Did happen to see some lazy repeat options carried over all three days which I didn’t recall happening at any Cabanas.
I've seen repeats at Cabanas. All the time, actually. It's too bad that Disney didn't take this opportunity to improve their "buffet" food like they did with the quick service food.
“this could have been an animators palate”. Seriously, that could have been the one thing that Disney could have used to tie all of its ships together. It’s universally beloved.
I think 1923 is going to be the common restaurant for the Triton-class ships. The preview renderings for Treasure seem to show the same sort of displays outside the main restaurant that are are the Wish.

Anyway, plenty of people don't like Animator's Palate, especially the version of it on the Dream-class ships. I don't get the hate because I quite like AP, but reasonable people can disagree.
The very TL;DR - if this is your first DCL experience, I’d highly recommend any other ship as you owe it to yourself from a service perspective to see what makes DCL special.
Service on the other ships isn't as good as it was before the shutdown, either. Like everyone else out there, Disney is short staffed. Also, a lot of the cast members are fairly new or just moved to a new ship. It'll take some time for things to get back to normal.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for OP's review. Looking forward to trying this ship in the not to distant future.

Sailing next week on the Wish. Hope things are getting better as they go.

Wasn't able to get a Palo Bruch reservation. Have managed this before when actually on board day of boarding. I know where to go to do this on the other ships. Any idea where they might make these changes on the WISH?
Thanks!

Sailing next week on the Wish. Hope things are getting better as they go.

Wasn't able to get a Palo Bruch reservation. Have managed this before when actually on board day of boarding. I know where to go to do this on the other ships. Any idea where they might make these changes on the WISH?
Thanks!
You can go to Luna’s once onboard for dining changes, reservations etc we got in line around 12:40 last weekend and the line was already about 20 parties deep and we put our name on the waitlist for palo brunch and we were about 5th on the list and weren’t able to get in.

Were they offering any "first day" tours of the ship as they have on the other ships?

Were they offering any "first day" tours of the ship as they have on the other ships?
There’s a few walking tours offered and you should see them in the app. We didn’t do one this time, but passed by a group on one and they appeared to be almost audio guide led rather than an actual CM? I could have just overlooked a CM running the show, but regardless plan on it being a much larger group than normal if you’ve done them on the other ships.

Thank you for your review. What was your dining rotation (the order on which you visited the 3 MDRs :))?

Totally agree. Was on for Labor Day weekend. Marvel was my least favorite and was just a let down. Food in the MDR's were better and I really didn't like Marcilne Market. Cabana's was better.
Service -I didn't see anything really lacking but I did feel our service team in the ADR's was VERY slow. Dinner took way longer than it should have. The tables are WAY too close together. When an average sized waiter/waitress has to suck in and raise their arms up to squeeze between tables to serve you, something is wrong.
I really missed the interactive art and the detective game on board. I've had the pleasure of being on all 5 Disney ships. The Fantasy is my favorite.
Our head server did visit our table. Someone asked about the odd hallways/endings on some decks. The story we were given (who knows how true) was that they needed more emergency boats on this ship. The nose of the ship was funnelled a bit more to house more life boats and it resulted in dead ending hallways and odd layout. I think they just utilized this space because they could. I hope that they take all this feedback because it's been consistant from everything I've read and watched and make adjustments on the Treasure.

Overall we had fun though and I am booked again next year.

Totally agree. Was on for Labor Day weekend. Marvel was my least favorite and was just a let down. Food in the MDR's were better and I really didn't like Marcilne Market. Cabana's was better.
Service -I didn't see anything really lacking but I did feel our service team in the ADR's was VERY slow. Dinner took way longer than it should have. The tables are WAY too close together. When an average sized waiter/waitress has to suck in and raise their arms up to squeeze between tables to serve you, something is wrong.
I really missed the interactive art and the detective game on board. I've had the pleasure of being on all 5 Disney ships. The Fantasy is my favorite.
Our head server did visit our table. Someone asked about the odd hallways/endings on some decks. The story we were given (who knows how true) was that they needed more emergency boats on this ship. The nose of the ship was funnelled a bit more to house more life boats and it resulted in dead ending hallways and odd layout. I think they just utilized this space because they could. I hope that they take all this feedback because it's been consistant from everything I've read and watched and make adjustments on the Treasure.

Overall we had fun though and I am booked again next year.
Speaking of, I noticed several clearly digital picture frames on various decks that look like they could be future interactive or midship detective. I hope that’s the case!

We also were on this cruise and I have to agree with the OP's and subsequent poster's comments.

The ship was hard to get to know. I did not find all areas of the ship - e.g., never saw Cove Cafe and did not see many of the lounges the OP refers to. Had I set out determined to find different bars and areas, I might have found them. But I never chanced by most of them. I never entered a shop and usually a DGD makes sure we are regulars. While exploring, DH asked a cast member where a particular bar was and the CM replied "I don't know."

The best meal was the welcome aboard lunch, which we had in a quiet corner of 1923 and our server was a 14 year veteran of the Magic whom we immediately remembered from Trans Atlantics. Our regular rotational servers were adequate but no magic and no offers, e.g. of fresh pepper, and few recommendations. Our rotation was Marvel, Arendelle, and 1923. I actually like the intimate effect the split makes in the 1923 - very elegant I think and also quiet. The food in Marvel was the worst I have experienced. I got the schnitzel and it was just a thick chicken breast coated in crumbs. Very boring. A schnitzel in Germany or Austria is a thin piece of meat and interesting flavorings. Two grandchildren (age 5 & 6) were scared by some of the gory scenes shown on the Marvel screen and wanted to leave. They are great fans of Animators Palate and just not familiar with the Marvel genre I guess. I also think that the constant noise in that restaurant is a distraction. The children in our group preferred 1923 where they looked at drawings on the wall and were able to talk and laugh.

I did not find Marceline Market to be crowded at the times we visited and we were able to walk up to any area with little or no wait and easily find nice tables. I really liked the food selections and layout. I think it is an improvement over Cabanas on any ship.

Our 2 connecting cabins were in the aft bump out on deck 8. The verandas were at the largest point of the bump out and we enjoyed spending time on them. A lounge chair or two would have fit easily and would be a welcome addition. I miss the drawers next to the closet area that other ships have and found it harder to be organized. The narrow shelves above the desk area are very limited in usefulness. The only TV was at the foot of the bed which meant that our DGD had to sit on our bed to watch. She complained that some of the narrow shelf area could have held a TV that could be seen from the couch. It meant that the couch area of the room was underutilized.

I liked the pool options for younger cruisers. DGD (5) loved the splash zone and spent a happy afternoon watching Moana from another shallow pool. The areas never seemed crowded.

The kids club counsellors were fantastic, the best we have experienced, and the slide was a big hit. I chatted with some whom I remembered from the Magic and their experience was a big plus. They went out of their way to make sure children were engaged in an activity and happy.

Olaf's Royal Picnic was also a big success and the best planned event I have experienced on a Disney ship. I took the two granddaughters (5 & 9) and we all enjoyed it. The gifts were amazing, as was the food. I have been to several Princess Royal teas on the Magic and Dream and found this event to surpass them. Although pricey, I thought it was worth it and the actors and performances were engaging.

Three days is a bit too short to get to know a ship and while I would like to cruise again on the Wish, it will not be likely unless they introduce a longer cruise or I decide to do a back to back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter