Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

Publix fried chicken has a bit of a cult following. I'd say it's odd, but I'm pretty sure I would give a limb to have a Wegmans in Florida, so I don't think I'm one to judge.

Another great update Glenn. Haven't commented for a while as I hate commenting from my phone. I love all your pictures as I really get a good sense of the layout and what all is there. Sounds like you and Judy are having a nice relaxing vacation.

I have fun on the slides and THANKS for the great shots of the pool and the slide videos!!!:thumbsup2:banana: Made me "want to jump in"!:beach::beach:

Just thinking this morning, HHI must be SO NICE right about now, third week of September! Nice and PEACEFUL!:dance3:

Publix fried chicken has a bit of a cult following. I'd say it's odd, but I'm pretty sure I would give a limb to have a Wegmans in Florida, so I don't think I'm one to judge.

I have a couple of sisters in western NY and they love Wegmans. Wish we could get one where I live in southeast PA.

The Publix fried chicken was decent though. :thumbsup2

Another great update Glenn. Haven't commented for a while as I hate commenting from my phone.

I get that....so hard to comment using a phone. Sometimes the Disboards app gets hung up even when just trying to read. So frustrating.

I love all your pictures as I really get a good sense of the layout and what all is there. Sounds like you and Judy are having a nice relaxing vacation.

Good! I hope the pictures are giving you a sense of the place. :)

We had such a nice time!

I have fun on the slides and THANKS for the great shots of the pool and the slide videos!!!:thumbsup2:banana: Made me "want to jump in"!:beach::beach:

Glad you liked the pictures and videos! :banana:

I think I like the open slides better, like at Kidani, but this one was fun. It put me into a "spin cycle" when I hit the water, so it couldn't be all bad!

Just thinking this morning, HHI must be SO NICE right about now, third week of September! Nice and PEACEFUL!:dance3:

Oh I know! We lived in southern NC for a few years, very close to the beach, and we loved Sep/Oct because the water was still warm and there was virtually no one on the beach. It was like heaven.

Let's see...where'd I leave off?

You don't remember either?

And oh, wasn't Publix the place where Greg-the-kayak-guide had sort of off-handedly mentioned that they have the best fried chicken on the island? Why yes. Yes, I think it was. So I made my way over to the deli counter and picked some up for myself. I'll give 'em a whirl.

Priorities. Good job.

Then we got into the pool and I thought I'd put the underwater camera through a few more tests. Starting with: Underwater Selfie!

Fancy!

I'm not sure what the kids were making, but it appears the young woman on the end was making "stinkeye". :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: You obviously anticipated the comments this photo would get!

They have an antique-looking phone in there and it actually works. We looked in here on our first night at the resort and there were a couple of castmembers here. I commented that the phone apparently works and they said, "yeah, we sometimes have issues with that since kids think it's a toy and start playing with it."

Right, the kids. Darn kids. :rolleyes1

Nice pictures of the grounds and such. I'll have to remember about Publix Fried Chicken!

It's always nice when you can pick up a few things at the Outlets. We just end up picking up too many! :rotfl2:

Yay, I finally got myself caught up! As always, I love the abundance of food pictures, and it seems selfies were the theme of the trip - I'm surprised that 'selfie' didn't make it's way into the TR title somehow!

I agree that rainy, indoor, cozy relaxing days & nights are definitely some of the best days to be had. I know several women who could blow a month's salary at J.Jill, so Judy isn't alone for sure!

You don't remember either?

But the weird thing is, I remember where you left off. :confused3

Priorities. Good job.

If we're gonna stop there, I'm gonna get me some of that chicken I've heard so much about.

You came in a little late to cash-in on the movie quote I stuck in there in that section you commented on. Dee got it though! :thumbsup2

You already know
I'm in the fast lane
from L.A. to Tokyo

:rotfl2: You obviously anticipated the comments this photo would get!

Quite! I knew that look would not get past the censors. :lmao:

Right, the kids. Darn kids. :rolleyes1

And it would've worked too...if it wasn't for those meddling kids! :headache:

Nice pictures of the grounds and such. I'll have to remember about Publix Fried Chicken!

Thank you.

Yes, give it a shot!

It's always nice when you can pick up a few things at the Outlets. We just end up picking up too many! :rotfl2:

Judy loves to shop too! Fortunately, I was able to keep the cash outflow to a manageable level. ;)

Yay, I finally got myself caught up!

:yay: Well, it's not like you've got anything else to do. :rolleyes:

As always, I love the abundance of food pictures, and it seems selfies were the theme of the trip - I'm surprised that 'selfie' didn't make it's way into the TR title somehow!

You make a good point, but they didn't come to mind when I was thinking about the trip and trying to come up with a title. I don't think that too many more coming.

I agree that rainy, indoor, cozy relaxing days & nights are definitely some of the best days to be had.

:goodvibes

I know several women who could blow a month's salary at J.Jill, so Judy isn't alone for sure!

That's good to know. And I'm glad that she kept it somewhere below a month's salary!

Hi! I just found your TR and subscribed.

I love Hilton Head, and it looks like you love it as well! :) My family had a timeshare in Shipyard Plantation growing up, and now my parents have retired to Bluffton, just off the island. I usually visit them 2-3 times a year, and we always make a few trips to the island.

I'm interested to hear where else you ate! The island has some great restaurants. That list that the resort provided was so-so, there are some far better choices, but some of those are good.

I've done that Broad Creek kayaking tour and have gone out on my own, both are fantastic! I love kayaking, especially down there.

I have 2 very important questions!
#1 - Do you know if anyone can go into the Mercantile to shop, even if not staying at the resort? I'd love to shop there!
And #2 - I can't believe I didn't know that Dole Whips are that close to my parents' house! Do you have to stay at the resort to go to Signals and get a Dole Whip? And do they offer the vanilla-pineapple swirl? That's my favorite!!! :)

Thanks! Looking forward to more of the TR!

Hi! I just found your TR and subscribed.

:welcome: dreamseeker9! Good to have you along.

I love Hilton Head, and it looks like you love it as well! :) My family had a timeshare in Shipyard Plantation growing up, and now my parents have retired to Bluffton, just off the island. I usually visit them 2-3 times a year, and we always make a few trips to the island.

Very lucky of you to be able to go there so often!

I'm interested to hear where else you ate! The island has some great restaurants. That list that the resort provided was so-so, there are some far better choices, but some of those are good.

A couple of places coming up in future chapters are "Vine" and "Low Country Backyard". We recommend both!

I've done that Broad Creek kayaking tour and have gone out on my own, both are fantastic! I love kayaking, especially down there.

I felt like I could go out on my own after the tour. :thumbsup2

I have 2 very important questions!
#1 - Do you know if anyone can go into the Mercantile to shop, even if not staying at the resort? I'd love to shop there!

I believe so. I doubt that you could drive into the property without a reservation, but you could park somewhere over in Shelter Cove and walk across the bridge into the resort. Then simply walk to the pool and the Mercantile is on the second floor of the building there.

And #2 - I can't believe I didn't know that Dole Whips are that close to my parents' house! Do you have to stay at the resort to go to Signals and get a Dole Whip? And do they offer the vanilla-pineapple swirl? That's my favorite!!! :)

You have to have a key card to gain access to the Beach House, but I think that you could get them at the walk-up window at the side. If you watch my biking video that I posted a couple of chapters ago, I walked up to the window after I parked the bike. I don't think that I was ever at that window during normal operating hours, so that's why I'm not 100% sure.

No, they don't offer the swirl, or a float either, which is my favorite. :sad1:

Thanks! Looking forward to more of the TR!

Great! :yay:

Thanks so much for the responses! I'll be going down over Christmas, so I'll definitely try to go into the Mercantile! I know Shelter Cove well, we often go to the Black Marlin for a great lunch.

No, they don't offer the swirl, or a float either, which is my favorite.

That's too bad! But I guess I'd settle for the soft serve pineapple! ;)

A couple of places coming up in future chapters are "Vine" and "Low Country Backyard". We recommend both!

Great! I've actually never been to either one, but my friends love the Low Country Backyard.

Yeah I suppose it is hard to judge the best Chicken without comparison. But a genius marketing strategy.

Bahahaha. LOVE the slide videos.

Hehe, that picture with the little and the bucket is adorable. Why can`t grownups find more enjoyment in the little things?

Finally got all caught up! Love every second of it! I'm definitely putting HHI on our list. I mean, why not...a wee bit of Disney so close to us. Now, just to convince the Hubby we need to take another vaca this year. Hmm....maybe that long weekend he has at the beginning of December?? I'm waiting with bated breath to hear about how it "felt like Disney".

Glenn - what type of waterproof camera did you get? You may have mentioned it earlier but I'm too lazy to look. ::yes::

Did you like it? I sort of want one for our cruise but I just can't seem to commit.

Looking forward to another update from HHI!!!!!!!!

I love publix. They have pretty good hot and spicy wings. And their chicken tenders are awesome! :thumbsup2

Pool looks fun. The little kid catching the water is cute. I love watching little kids concentrate on things and finding fun in the little things. And then they get older and all you hear is "Mooooommm, I'm bored!" :rotfl:

Hard to believe but I'm actually caught up.

Ok, mostly caught up, haven't watched the slide video's yet

That is a pretty bike ride, makes me want to be there (though I would most certainly get lost, my sense of direction is so poor its legendary on its own).

How frustrating about the jerk seasoning, I've started making my own "rubs" for similar reasons, not that there are allergies but it's more cost efficient, they are fresher and I know exactly what is in them! Plus when I run out it isn't $5 for a new tub of whatever.

Good for you guys, waiting out the rain at the beach and bonus points to you for not only bringing Judy a Dole Whip, but for enabling purchases at J. Jill.

Sorry for the delay in replies everyone. I'm changing assignments at work, so am pretty much trying to do two jobs at once, at the moment.

Thanks so much for the responses! I'll be going down over Christmas, so I'll definitely try to go into the Mercantile! I know Shelter Cove well, we often go to the Black Marlin for a great lunch.

I don't see why you couldn't walk over. :thumbsup2

That's too bad! But I guess I'd settle for the soft serve pineapple! ;)

I'll take what I can get!

Great! I've actually never been to either one, but my friends love the Low Country Backyard.

We liked it....it's a few days ahead though (in trip-time), which at the rate I'm going, might be a little while!

Yeah I suppose it is hard to judge the best Chicken without comparison. But a genius marketing strategy.

I think somebody should set up a test-test for me: a picnic table full of all of the islands' fried chicken. :rolleyes:

Bahahaha. LOVE the slide videos.

:teeth: It was fun making them!

Hehe, that picture with the little and the bucket is adorable. Why can`t grownups find more enjoyment in the little things?

I blame it on Mtv. :lmao:

Finally got all caught up! Love every second of it!

:yay:

I'm definitely putting HHI on our list. I mean, why not...a wee bit of Disney so close to us. Now, just to convince the Hubby we need to take another vaca this year. Hmm....maybe that long weekend he has at the beginning of December??

As close as you are, you definitely should! I'd be in serious point-trouble if I lived that close. :laughing:

I'm waiting with bated breath to hear about how it "felt like Disney".

I hope you're not disappointed in the telling...it wasn't so much an event, as just a realization.

Glenn - what type of waterproof camera did you get? You may have mentioned it earlier but I'm too lazy to look. ::yes::

Again, sorry for the delay in replying...I know you're under a time-crunch to make a decision. Mine is a Fuji Finepix XP60, which I got a Costco a year or so ago.

Did you like it? I sort of want one for our cruise but I just can't seem to commit.

Yes, I like it. Dee has one too, I think she got a similar deal to mine, but got hers at BJ's Warehouse. She said that she'd had leaking issues with other brands, but this one has held up for her. I tried mine out in a pool before this trip, and then used it at HHI in the ocean and the pool. The only issue I had was when I deleted pictures by mistake, but that was due to my not being used to the menus.

Great, thanks!

I love publix. They have pretty good hot and spicy wings. And their chicken tenders are awesome! :thumbsup2

Yay, sounds like they've made chicken a priority. ::yes::

Pool looks fun. The little kid catching the water is cute. I love watching little kids concentrate on things and finding fun in the little things. And then they get older and all you hear is "Mooooommm, I'm bored!" :rotfl:

She was a cutie! :cutie:

I know what you mean. Our job is to entertain....apparently!

Hard to believe but I'm actually caught up.

Ok, mostly caught up, haven't watched the slide video's yet

:banana: Thanks for making the effort to get caught up!

That is a pretty bike ride, makes me want to be there (though I would most certainly get lost, my sense of direction is so poor its legendary on its own).

It's one of those routes where all you'd need is one time of riding along with someone who knew the way, and you'd be set. But that first time, with no idea of landmarks or anything, was a head-scratcher!

How frustrating about the jerk seasoning, I've started making my own "rubs" for similar reasons, not that there are allergies but it's more cost efficient, they are fresher and I know exactly what is in them! Plus when I run out it isn't $5 for a new tub of whatever.

Yeah, I think we saw some rub recipes in a magazine afterward, but we weren't thinking of it before the trip. Actually, I think we just happened to see them on a rack at the grocery store; it wasn't on our list. But yeah, we'll need to remember to pack some that she's put together beforehand.

Good for you guys, waiting out the rain at the beach and bonus points to you for not only bringing Judy a Dole Whip, but for enabling purchases at J. Jill.

We were hoping there was some sun following that little rainstorm!

Thanks. You know what, I accompanied her to J. Jill just a couple days ago too. Someone from the store called last week to personally let her know about a sale they were having. I was home when they called, so when she got off the phone she had to tell me who it was and what the call was about. (I'm sure she would've kept that info. to herself, had I not been there.) I said, "you know, that's not a good sign...when you're such a good customer that they give you a personal call to let you know they're having a sale." :rotfl2:

Thanks. You know what, I accompanied her to J. Jill just a couple days ago too. Someone from the store called last week to personally let her know about a sale they were having. I was home when they called, so when she got off the phone she had to tell me who it was and what the call was about. (I'm sure she would've kept that info. to herself, had I not been there.) I said, "you know, that's not a good sign...when you're such a good customer that they give you a personal call to let you know they're having a sale." :rotfl2:

I think it is a sign that she is not as good a customer as they would want her to be - yet! If they knew that she would spend lots of money there anyway, why tell her that there is a sale. They would surely rather let her buy the clothes at full price!! :lmao:

Hope the new job works out well and the transitioning period is over soon!

Again, sorry for the delay in replying...I know you're under a time-crunch to make a decision. Mine is a Fuji Finepix XP60, which I got a Costco a year or so ago.

Yes, I like it. Dee has one too, I think she got a similar deal to mine, but got hers at BJ's Warehouse. She said that she'd had leaking issues with other brands, but this one has held up for her. I tried mine out in a pool before this trip, and then used it at HHI in the ocean and the pool. The only issue I had was when I deleted pictures by mistake, but that was due to my not being used to the menus.

I have been using waterproof point and shoot cameras almost exclusively for my pictures since 2008. Most of the pictures in my trip reports, unless I say I took them with my "big girl" camera are taken with these.

Right now, I have a Panasonic Lumix which unfortunately leaked in Hawaii, but did not die (yet) and two of these Fujis. This one in blue and one in yellow. Waterproof to 20 feet, shockproof to 5 feet and I believe 16 megapixels.

They were both purchased from Sam's Club. The first one was around $140. I think I purchased the second one because it was on sale for $120 and I was so pleased with the first one. They still have them at our local Sam's, in an eye-fetching burnt orange color. I am thinking I need a rainbow of colors of this camera.

Floating strap, seen in my picture is essential! About $8 from Amazon.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter