Ketamine

Sand Wedge

Registered
It's proven very useful for treatment resistant depression.

But... isn't Ketamine a horse tranquilliser? How do the two marry up?

I'm confused :bored:

I think through research on receptors in mice.
Ketamine is known as a "horse tranquilizer", but probably more known in the medical world to put patients to sleep before general anesthesia.
Maybe those that were put to sleep started reporting decreased depression after surgery?

Either way, I think it's one of the best things ever for depression. Hopefully insurance will start covering the IV version soon and/or the price will be more affordable.
I'm in school and I'm definitely hoping it's something I can administer outpatient in the next couple of years and be covered by insurance as well.

Since it's cash-only and relatively expensive, it's currently a big money maker for anesthesia folks.

Don’t know the why but there are a lot of medications that have more than one use that are not even similar. My neice is on an ADHD medication that is also used for hypertension. Multiple seizure medications help with pain, especially migraine pain and mood disorders. A stroke medication showed promise in helping slow down ALS symptoms. A certain blue pill can help with blood pressure.

Don’t know the why but there are a lot of medications that have more than one use that are not even similar. My neice is on an ADHD medication that is also used for hypertension. Multiple seizure medications help with pain, especially migraine pain and mood disorders. A stroke medication showed promise in helping slow down ALS symptoms. A certain blue pill can help with blood pressure.

You beat me to it. Lots of drugs are not used for their primary function.

I used to take an anti seizure medication but for nerve pain. I use a pill for migraines as a sleeping pill..I’ve never had a migraine in my life.

I have Treatment Resistant Depression and have tried most all of the currently established methods for managing it. A few years ago I went through a course of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) followed by about a year of Maintenance ECT. It was successful and saved my life (not just keeping me from dying, but by improving my quality of life.) However, the side effect of memory loss is less than desirable and has been slightly disruptive to my life.

Ketamine was one of the anesthetic drugs they used during treatments. Should I ever relapse into another Major Depressive Disorder I will definitely look into the possibility of how effective ketamine treatment might be for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter