Key West Aquarium

SuperDisneyDad

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever done the Key West Aquarium? What's it like? How much was it to get in? Was it within walking distance of the ship? Just wanting to know if we should try it with DS4 and DD18mo?

Yes, my DH and DD (9) did this in Key West last month. It is definitely within easy walking distance of the ship. It's a SMALL aquarium but my daughter enjoyed it, especially the touch tank. They spent maybe an hour there while I walked around town. I think your kids will enjoy it. :)

Another vote for the aquarium. We were diverted to Key West on our first cruise. Matt was 4 then. He loved the aquarium. They even let him touch a shark.

Our son (9)really enjoyed that, the trainer hand feeds nurse sharks and then pulls a baby one out to let everyone pet. Outside she also feeds some larger sharks (tiger maybe or lemon?) and a sawfish. The sawfish was pretty cool, I had never seen one before, when you go outside you can't see it in the lagoon as it stays down real deap but she baits it up with fish and all of a sudden you see a saw sticking out of the water. Small aquarium but very unique!

It is a very short walk from the ship, about five minutes or so.

Another vote in favor of the aquarium. It's not very big or new--nothing like, say, the NE aqurium, but my kids (5 and 7) loved it. It was a couple blocks from the ship--there's a marketplace, you walk towards the back, by the pirate museum. I think $9 adults, $4.50 for kids. you walk around, look at stuff, and every 90 minutes or so they have a talk and feed the fish--overall, very interesting and low-key. Lots for young kids to look at and touch.

We thought the aquarium was great for the kids (ours are 6 & 9). As BuzznBelle's mom said, the admission was $9.00 for adults and $4.50 for children aged 4 - 12. Shows and feeding times were listed as 11,1, 3, & 4:30 and "Open daily 10am-6pm" was also posted. I think you'd get a lot more out of it if you time your visit to coincide with one of the feeding times. The touch tank was a huge hit - sea urchins, starfish, sea cucumbers, horseshoe crabs, conch, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. It's a short walk (maybe 5 minutes?) from the ship. I also suggest you make sure you change your little one's diaper and send everyone for a bathroom break before you leave the ship - the public washrooms (not at the aquarium itself, but somewhere nearby) were filthy.

We thought the aquarium was great for the kids (ours are 6 & 9). As BuzznBelle's mom said, the admission was $9.00 for adults and $4.50 for children aged 4 - 12. Shows and feeding times were listed as 11,1, 3, & 4:30 and "Open daily 10am-6pm" was also posted. I think you'd get a lot more out of it if you time your visit to coincide with one of the feeding times. The touch tank was a huge hit - sea urchins, starfish, sea cucumbers, horseshoe crabs, conch, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting. It's a short walk (maybe 5 minutes?) from the ship. I also suggest you make sure you change your little one's diaper and send everyone for a bathroom break before you leave the ship - the public washrooms (not at the aquarium itself, but somewhere nearby) were filthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter