kids area at Blizzard Beach - SID kid is too tall?

disneymom2one

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
Hi all...We have an 8 (almost 9) year old daughter. She has sensory integration disorder and is also mildly autistic. She also has hypotonia (low muscle tone which means physically she's several years behind a normal 8 year old). My question is about the area for little kids at Blizzard Beach. I read that the height limit is 48 inches. Hann is about 49 1/2 inches tall. Hann can't swim and is pretty fearful but she would love to go to Blizzard Beach and this area would be perfect for her. Is there any way I can get around the height limit for her? Is this something Disney would be able to accomodate. I should add that other than thick glasses she looks relatively "normal". Any suggestions?

When we were there 2 years ago my older son was just over 48" and we had no problem with him in the kiddy area. I don't recall anyone checking heights, but I guess if there had been a big kid around they might have said something. My son is almost 11 and he is still right at 50" so he may want to play in there again. (He's got Asperger's Syndrome with a very young maturity level so that's his speed anyway.)

Hope that helps some. Have a great time!

years ago, my oldest DD (very polite and timid) had just turned 6 and had just finished kindergarten and was extremely tall for her age. she played with her sisters, then 4 and 1, at the kiddie areas in all three water parks. she was an inch or so over the limit at the time. several times in river country (not at the other two parks) she was measured by a CM with a measuring stick. usually they let her go, but this one stickler of a CM at river country told her she couldn't play there anymore. we were so shocked and disappointed, since we had been there for a couple of hours already. we convinced the cm to let her go down the slide one last time and then we left the park with a definitely un-disney feeling in the pit of our stomachs. that was still my fav. of all the water parks and i'm very sad that it's no longer around.

I think you might try calling ahead and asking for special permission, taking down the name/position of the person you with whom you speak. maybe they'll allow it, maybe not - they're probably concerned with the safety of the toddlers that will be playing there, so they might want to wait until they see the demeanor of your child to see if she's "wild" or not.

It's "not fair" that there is such a big jump from the children's areas to the adult areas. i'm sure there are lots of kids like my daughter and your daughter who would never be able to use a big slide and yet are too tall for a kiddie slide. there's a whole niche they are ignoring.

Blizzard Beach has a nice area for older kids, with some pretty mellow slides. They also have a CM posted at the top and bottoms of the slides there - It's the Ski Patrol area (or somesuch name!)

Anyways, it has a zero-entry area, 3-4 slides (some with tubes, some just body slides) and then a more aggresive area with a zipline, and an obstacle course. Some of it might be too much for your daughter, but you could check out the slides early to see if thye would suit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter