Knott's / Magic Mountain Best Days/Times?

consultant

Mouseketeer
We're going to Southern Cal the week after Easter this year (2007). I actually looked up school calendars for several school districts for major cities in Calif. and Arizona (San Diego, Phoenix, San Jose, etc.) and was surprised to find that most (not all) of the school districts are NOT on Spring Break that week (most are on break the last week of March and first week of April). So hopefully, although it will be crowded, it won't be Scary crowded. (I know how to get around that by going early/staying late, Fast Pass/Early Entry, etc. so I'm not too worried).

We are going to do Disneyland and California Adventure with our 6 and 7-year old on Mon, Tue, and Wed. What I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the rest of the week.

I'm thinking of leaving the Disneyland Resort mid-afternoon Wednesday and heading over to Knott's Berry Farm. Since the kids are too short for most of the headliner coasters at Knott's we don't need a full day. We just HAVE to ride the Log Ride (the only headliner we will probably ride) and then do some of the other attractions. Does anyone know what Knott's will probably be like, especially the line for the Log Ride, between 4PM and closing on Wed the week after Easter. I'm not going to waist the time/money if there's going to be over an hour wait for the Log Ride at say 6 PM?

We are staying at the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood the remaining 4 nights. (This is my 7th trip to Disneyland, 3rd for our kids, and we've been to WDW twice, so we are trying to focus more time on other attractions - Anaheim is such a hole anyway, want to get out and head for the hills, check out the Science Center, Page and Natural History Museums, Tar Pits, Universal Citywalk Mall, Santa Monica Pier, etc.)

So the other decision is whether or not to drive up to Magic Mountain one of the days. I've been there 4 times but not in the last 6 years. Most of the rides require a 48" height which my kids don't make but I can get all 4 of us in for only $60. I know between Knott's, Disney, and Magic Mtn, Magic is the least themed, and more of a pure amusement/coaster park. Just not sure it would be worth it spending a good part of a day there. Did Universal Studios two years ago, not impressed from the perspective of a parent of a 5 and 6-year old. Won't be waisting time and money there this time. Want to explore new stuff.

So I have two major decisions:

1) Spend 4 or 5 hours at Knott's late Wed afternoon and early evening, then head to Hollywood after rush hour (8 PM), or, spend Wed night at Knotts resort (sounds like a pretty shabby place) and do Knotts Thur morn and cut down our time in Hollywoord, or, skip Knotts all together (too crowded?) Maybe the issue will be can my kids last and do I want to spend close to $100 to spend possible as little as 3 or 4 hours at Knott's?

2) Do Magic Mountain Thur or Fri morning, or, forget Magic Mountain and see other stuff.

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Well I think I just realized the answer to question (1) about Knotts after reading this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1256929

I have to more or less agree with the thread. I was there in 2004 or 2005 I think it was. I hadn't been there in over 10 years since. Our kids were 4 and 6 at the time. I'm now recalling the trip. The Log Ride and the Gold Mine Ride or whatever it's called were the highlights. They couldn't ride any of the coasters and still can't. They were at good ages for Camp Snoopy at the time but now I'd say they are going to be borderline too old to get much out of the rides at Camp Snoopy. I remember the dining options inside the park were the worst I've ever seen at any Theme Park and we would most likely be stuck there for dinner. Yuck. Plus the fact my kids will be spent, the bottom line is the Log Ride is still (like Pirates of the Caribbean) one of my favorite rides of all time but it aint worth $90-$100 for a family of four to go there for a couple hours.

I'd say we are better off staying at Disneyland and eating at Downtown Disney or a surrounding restaurant while waiting for rush hour to end. Still not look forward to the drive to Hollywood around 7 PM. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

So I guess if I scratch off Knott's that may make Magic Mountain more of a possibility? But is the trip to Magic worth it when you are taking a 5-1/2 and 7-year old? I can't belive the ticket deal they are running where you get an pass for the year for $59.99 and guest passes to go along with it so we can all get in for $59.99? Are they hurtin that bad for attendance?

Plus the fact my kids will be spent, the bottom line is the Log Ride is still (like Pirates of the Caribbean) one of my favorite rides of all time
I remember when that ride opened!

So I guess if I scratch off Knott's that may make Magic Mountain more of a possibility? But is the trip to Magic worth it when you are taking a 5-1/2 and 7-year old?

Not in my opinion. I have not been there in many years, but it was as bad as Knott's the last time I went; dirty, run down, many gang members, etc. It may have changed since then, but I'd just stay at Disney if I were you.

We went to Magic Mountain in December 2004 and will never go back. That place was dirty and nothing but big coasters. I would think that Universal is more of an option given the ages of your children.

We go to Disneyworld twice a year and have been to Calif. with the kids 4 times. This past summer we went to Magic Mountain and definitely do NOT recommend it...esp. at your kids ages. We did Knotts several years ago..my kids were I think 4 and 6 at the time..and they loved it! I was there on Spring break and it was very manageable crowd wise.

For your other days in southern Calif..I would highly recommend Legoland. PERFECT for your kids ages. It is just north of San Diego in Carlsbad. An easy ride from Anaheim..maybe 45 minutes? Or if you wanted to move farther south, there is SEaworld and San Diego Zoo to do there also. Legoland is nice and clean, and different than the same ol' same ol'. My kids still loved it this summer at 9 and 11 ! Have a great trip!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter