Lamplight Lounge

AngieS1

Earning My Ears
I have dinner reservations for the Lamplight Lounge. Is it good for kids? My daughter is a fairly picky eater. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

My daughter (6) is picky, but she’s been a few times - she LOVES the donuts (I do, too!) You can check out the menu online and see if it works for what your daughter eats.

We've seen a lot of kids there, and it really depends on what your daughter will eat. The portions are not large, so keep that in mind. Agree with the pp about going over the menu ahead of time to see if there is anything your daughter will like. We've seen happy kids there and very unhappy kids, too. (We've seen unhappy adults there -- the menu can be a real surprise to people who didn't know what to expect.) It's more of a bar lounge menu (downstairs, anyway), rather than a family style restaurant menu; and we really like it (agree about the donuts!), but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Last edited:
My son is super picky, and my daughter tries to act like it ;) I remember thinking the menu had a decent menu for kids - the basic, maybe chicken, spaghetti, ?? I DO remember the food portions being small for everyone. I think I was still hungry when I left!

I did not know it was a lounge downstairs and was upset when they tried to seat us right next to the bar in lounge type chairs with a small low table. Not my idea of a nice restaurant, and it was loud. I asked to be seated somewhere else and they said outside which would have been ok except they would not let us sit at the booths (even though they were all empty) and told us to sit side by side along the rail, at the bar facing the water which was in the sun. I had a little meltdown and we left without eating. I think for the prices they charge, the atmosphere could be better. It was worse than some quick service locations in my opinion.

I did not know it was a lounge downstairs and was upset when they tried to seat us right next to the bar in lounge type chairs with a small low table. Not my idea of a nice restaurant, and it was loud. I asked to be seated somewhere else and they said outside which would have been ok except they would not let us sit at the booths (even though they were all empty) and told us to sit side by side along the rail, at the bar facing the water which was in the sun. I had a little meltdown and we left without eating. I think for the prices they charge, the atmosphere could be better. It was worse than some quick service locations in my opinion.

It's a lounge, not a restaurant. It says so right in the name. The atmosphere can't be beat when you consider it is a lounge. Those waterside tables are so peaceful. The seating is what it is. You never get a say and there are different table types. I've sat at all of them and to be honest, the best seating is at the bar itself. You get the best service there.

It's not the best place for kids. Meals take a long time (again, it's a lounge and it's meant to be a place you hang out for awhile and enjoy drinks). The food portions are actually pretty large when you order the adult items, but for kids, they are painfully tiny. My 8 year old nephew got the adult chicken sandwich last time we were there. He ordered it plain and loved it. It's a $20 sandwich though, so you will pay to get kids a meal large enough to be filling.

It's a lounge, not a restaurant. It says so right in the name. The atmosphere can't be beat when you consider it is a lounge. Those waterside tables are so peaceful. The seating is what it is. You never get a say and there are different table types. I've sat at all of them and to be honest, the best seating is at the bar itself. You get the best service there.

It's not the best place for kids. Meals take a long time (again, it's a lounge and it's meant to be a place you hang out for awhile and enjoy drinks). The food portions are actually pretty large when you order the adult items, but for kids, they are painfully tiny. My 8 year old nephew got the adult chicken sandwich last time we were there. He ordered it plain and loved it. It's a $20 sandwich though, so you will pay to get kids a meal large enough to be filling.

Well lounge can mean many things to many people. I didn't realize it was an actual bar. Maybe I'm reading into your reply but it seems a bit snarky. Like I said, I did not know what to expect. I didn't say it was a bad restaurant, I said it wasn't what I expected and that wasn't the type of place I wanted to eat that day. There were many empty tables outside so I didn't think it was a problem to ask for a different table. My issue was being told to sit in the sun when there were plenty of empty booths in the shade. I also didn't enjoy being seated right next to people at the bar outside (when there were empty tables). It was a bad experience for me that day and like I said it was my opinion....I'm not saying the restaurant is bad. The original OP asked about taking her kids, so I was giving my opinion based on my experience. Also to let them know that they may get seated at the bar outside which is side by side seating along the bar, not a table.

Question: my sister and I made a reservation for Lamplight on Monday at 4:30. We then had to rearrange other reservations and the only time we could get a dinner reservation at Carthay during our trip was also Monday, at 7:50 PM. Is it ok to go to Lamplight with a reservation when all you want is drinks and appetizer?

Question: my sister and I made a reservation for Lamplight on Monday at 4:30. We then had to rearrange other reservations and the only time we could get a dinner reservation at Carthay during our trip was also Monday, at 7:50 PM. Is it ok to go to Lamplight with a reservation when all you want is drinks and appetizer?
Yes that’s fine. The lobster nachos are technically an appetizer. My friends and I usually get those and share then get drinks. Also we get the donuts because they are delicious lol

I would cancel that reservation and just do the upstairs seating at an earlier time if you are doing dinner at Carthay later. The portions are pretty big and I can't see you eating apps around 5pm and then dinner just a couple hours later. The upstairs area is usually not too long of a wait and most tables are under shade and the full appetizer menu is available as well as most drinks (there are some draft beer selections available downstairs only). I'd say hit up the upstairs area around 2pm.

I think it's perfectly OK to go to LLL for just an appetizer and drinks. We've done just that many times and frankly, that's what a "lounge" is for. The tables are mostly very small and not well suited for large meals anyway. I believe the whole intention of the establishment is for the consumption of cocktails and maybe an appetizer while taking a short break from the parks.
The down stairs is a whole different experience and I would absolutley keep your resi.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter