Land Border Opening?

That number is so interesting to me, we keep saying it but when you look at the US, which I don't think will ever reach 75% vaccinated, their cases have dropped dramatically. So maybe they will reassess the 75% at some point. Though I do also hope we reach that number if possible.

Maybe we will get lucky and that 60% with one dose that Ontario is aiming for as Step 1 will be reached and we can open the border... or not. Who can say since they won't give us the benchmarks.
Yes their cases have dropped dramatically but with them not having as many vaccinated means there will be surges in many places.

They sort have given us benchmarks for border reopening. 75% with first dose and 20% fully vaccinated.

I haven't even been paying attention to Mexico, I know people were able to travel there over winter before we shut things down further, are their cases low? Are they getting vaccinated? Interesting. I think also likely to put pressure on Canada to reopen things. I hope it's closer to the 60% than 75%, since Ontario is almost there (same with BC, I didn't look at each province though).

Quick look at Mexico shows their cases are dropping, vaccination rates are only at 14% for one dose, but I don't think they can be compared to us or the US.

That would be the best news ever!
York region just hit 70 percent today as well. 👍🎉 It’s a sign that we as Canadians - particularly in the GTA - are not vaccine hesitant when supply is provided. I’m particularly proud of the under 25s in our area who have shown up as soon as they were allowed - 54 percent already.
I live in York Region as well and was thrilled to see the numbers today. The 18-19 year olds are already vaccinated at a rate of 49.7% and they have only been eligible for a week! Such good news! :)

Reactions: amw
I personally think 60% is too low and with keeping it at 74% it keeps people motivated to get vaccinated
To be fair the people who don't want to be vaccinated aren't motivated by the numbers. I know a number of people who refuse to get the vaccination and things opening don't matter to them because they feel it will happen eventually regardless.

* edited to remove quoted post at posters request .

I’m not sure I agree . I don’t think every positive needs to be countered with a negative . I think it just one person sharing their joy with one great thing. I don’t think anyone was thinking that meant every region was there . Sometimes we just need something good .

ETA ) We are only at 51.5 where I am but we will get there .

Last edited:
To be fair the people who don't want to be vaccinated aren't motivated by the numbers. I know a number of people who refuse to get the vaccination and things opening don't matter to them because they feel it will happen eventually regardless.
Agreed but with the way it's going so far here the people who don't want to be vaccinated are a small minority

I’m not sure I agree . I don’t think every positive needs to be countered with a negative . I think it just one person sharing their joy with one great thing. I don’t think anyone was thinking that meant every region was there . Sometimes we just need something good .

So much this. Lately I've found there to be an awful lot of negativity about how things are going; and really there shouldn't be. The province dropped massive amounts of vaccines in the 'hotspots' so obviously they're at much higher levels than the rest of the province but it won't take much to catch up.

My health unit is running at just under 60% first dose right now FWIW.

I tried to convey that in my post but obviously missed the mark somehow, could you please remove my post from yours? I'm very happy to see the numbers climbing

I tried to convey that in my post but obviously missed the mark somehow, could you please remove my post from yours? I'm very happy to see the numbers climbing
I certainly didn’t feel you said anything that required deleting , we just had a different opinion. But I will respectfully comply with your request :) .

I posted in haste and didn't give myself time to cool off first. We have a LOT going on in our lives right now that would be hard to deal with but COVID-19 is making them almost impossible to tackle and I let my frustration get the better of me

:hug: :grouphug: :hug: We are all soooooooooo tired of this covid cr@p then you add our regular day to day stress and other things that happen and it just snowballs!!! Sending you sooo many hugs. We will all get through all of this together!!!!!

Definitely think that vaccination is super important. Until we get to the point that vaccination (rather than shutdown) is what's stopping spread we'll still have issues (and new variants.) Hopefully the rate of vaccination hits where it needs to be. Don't see how this goes away without vaccine though.

We've booked DS (15) for his vaccine but made sure to talk to him before to make sure that he was onboard. He definitely was. In early June he'll have his first and then end of Sept for his second (would love to have the final moved up though.) Both DH and myself have had our first (Pfizer for DH, AZ for me) and will do the second doses on our booked days (or sooner if we can.)

To be honest it seems sort of weird that so many won't take the vaccine. My mom lived through the Polio stuff in the 50's (although she did have it she survived -- a few on her street weren't so fortunate --- but had post polio syndrome for probably the last 15 years of her life), my uncle had meningitus (and made it through relatively unharmed -- except a stutter that didn't exist before), and my aunt had scarlet fever in roughly the same time frame. All of these are preventable now through vaccines. I wonder what would have happened then if propoganda played such a big role in deciding to take a vaccine or not back then. I'm guessing the world would be in a very different place now. Having information is vital, having disinformation is dangerous.

Last edited:
NB just announced their reopening plan...its even better than I could have imagined. Starting July 1, we can go to Maine back and forth without quarantining if vaccinated with one dose. This is HUGE for a province that has had such strict isolation requirements. They said it was pending federal government reopening the US border, but they must have a feeling it will be opening by then to announce this. I thought it was interesting.

ETA: Our Premier just said there is a Premiers call tonight with the PM and he expect more info to be given there on the date for Us border target reopening... so stay tuned...

Last edited:
:hug: :grouphug: :hug: We are all soooooooooo tired of this covid cr@p then you add our regular day to day stress and other things that happen and it just snowballs!!! Sending you sooo many hugs. We will all get through all of this together!!!!!
yup, even people like my hubby who has the patience of a Saint is at the end of his tether!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter