Laptop for third world???

dpuck1998

<font color=blue>I'm innocent I tell you...innocen
sorry, I guess I don't understand. Wouldn't third world children be better served with food, clothes, housing than a laptop? Where are they going to get wifi? What are they going to do with a laptop if they are in poverty stricken areas? I'm very confused....

I totally agree! We need them for our own country, take care of our own first.

The mission of this organization is wonderful:
OLPC’s mission is to provide a means for learning, self-expression, and exploration to the nearly two billion children of the developing world with little or no access to education.

While children are by nature eager for knowledge, many countries have insufficient resources to devote to education—sometimes less than $20 per year per child (compared to an average of $7,500 in the United States).

By giving children their very own connected XO laptop, we are giving them a window to the outside world, access to vast amounts of information, a way to connect with each other, and a springboard into their future

Currently for $399 you can buy a laptop for a child overseas, AND receive one yourself!

The mission of this organization is wonderful:
OLPC’s mission is to provide a means for learning, self-expression, and exploration to the nearly two billion children of the developing world with little or no access to education.

While children are by nature eager for knowledge, many countries have insufficient resources to devote to education—sometimes less than $20 per year per child (compared to an average of $7,500 in the United States).

By giving children their very own connected XO laptop, we are giving them a window to the outside world, access to vast amounts of information, a way to connect with each other, and a springboard into their future

Currently for $399 you can buy a laptop for a child overseas, AND receive one yourself!

Your only paying 200 for a laptop and donating 200 to a child overseas. Which is fine, but its not like your getting a free laptop. I read the details and you can only claim 200 of it on your taxes as a charitable donation. And the laptop is a small, inexpensive laptop you could get for 200. I'm not saying not to donate, but it seems like 200 could be put to better use for most of those children.

I think it sounds a little crazy myself. The last model I had seen, they removed the hand-crank for various reasons but hadn't come up with a good alternate power source.

Count me among the people that think its a crazy idea, I think the children would be far better served with one of these gifts:

http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10047&xxwvNavItemId=0

They replaced the hand crank with solar cells to power it.

The idea is to provide the children with access to technology that will allow them to move themselves into the 21st century and become self sufficient in the industrialized world instead of leaving them in the agrarian societies that, in their part of the world, keeps them in "third world" economies and poverty stricken.

You decide which is better in the long term: buy them technological advancement and educational opportunities or a goat and five ducks.

The point is to give these children a chance to develop skills that may benefit them in their lives.

I wouldn't want one of these computers: they run a version of Linux (no Windows or Mac OS) and will be 100% incompatible with anything else you use. Many techies are getting one as a conversation piece.

To say we shouldn't be helping children in other countries like one poster wrote seems completely at odds with what most people on this site are like. I wonder what it must be like to hate a child simply because they don't live w/in our borders.

The fact this isn't food or clothes really isn't the point. To treat people as if the only charity they deserve is the absolute minimum they require to live is pathetic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a goat and five ducks. Such gifts can amount to a concrete business opportunity. The suggestions provided by World Vision take into account the needs, the climate and skills of the various communities to which they are provided. They're not the "absolute minimum" they are well thought out opportunities that can provide long-term for the recipients.

Many people in the States and Canada make their living in agrarian occupations, farming and agriculture are certainly nothing to sneeze at.

The computer project just seems full of holes to me. Solar cells mean the children can only use the computers outdoors in good weather, many of these children go to unlit classrooms so they wouldn't be able to use them in school (I know how easy my lap-top screen is to read in the bright sunshine :sad2: ). I'm to just buy one and hope that the wifi will be in place and sufficient? I'm to just buy one and hope that the computers won't be targeted for theft? If the computer breaksm the children won't be able to fix them themselves either. For any educational value the children will still need a teacher to guide them, not to mention the dubious wifi.

Yep, I'd take a goat and five ducks anyday.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with a goat and five ducks. Such gifts can amount to a concrete business opportunity."

These computers are meant for kids. Kids, even in the Third World, should be trying to learn, not taking advantage of a "concrete business opportunity".

"The computer project just seems full of holes to me. Solar cells mean the children can only use the computers outdoors in good weather, many of these children go to unlit classrooms so they wouldn't be able to use them in school (I know how easy my lap-top screen is to read in the bright sunshine :sad2: )."

The solar cells charge a battery. You don't need to stay outside in the sun to use the computer.

Yes the kids do need a concrete business opportunity, farm animals bee-hives, what-ever the case will allow the FAMILY to be self-sufficient. Besides that statement was only made to the poster that scoffed at providing goats and ducks, world vision has many opportuities to look out for anyone, be it schools, or school supplies for children, bikes for the safety of teen-age girls, opportunities for families.

I like their well thought out ideas, better than throwing a computer at a kid and hoping they'll be better to learn from it.

As for the solar cells, they're not going to be magically more efficient than an ything we have here. That'll mean only using them outside.

Wow, some piling on...hopefully none of that directed to me. I didn't read from anyone that "I hate children" thats a serious leap!

For the record. I just think laptops are a huge luxury item and if they are sending the to poverty stricken regions that the money might be spent better on something else for them. There are plenty ways to "teach a man to fish" without a laptop. I'm all for charity and think we should always look outside our borders to help everyone dispite where they live. Seems like a lot of holes in this idea however. Unless I'm not reading it right, the solor power is an addition cost. How/where are they getting wifi? When the break..and they will....who is going to fix them? I work in a school and there is a push to use techonolgy to teach everything. I personally think that using software to teach is going to far. Nothing wrong with three "R" the old fashioned way. Technology has a place, but interaction and learning can be done just as well with books and pen/paper.

I agree with the posters who have expressed that this type of learning opportunity should be afforded to not only the third world children but those North American children who, at no fault of their own, have limited opportunities to learn about technology and the power access to information it provides.

OMG people- if you want to support the charity, do. If you don't, don't. Must it turn into a big debate?? :confused3

I agree with the posters who have expressed that this type of learning opportunity should be afforded to not only the third world children but those North American children who, at no fault of their own, have limited opportunities to learn about technology and the power access to information it provides.

Every library I have walked into in the last 5 years, has numerous computers hooked up to high-speed internet access and employees are there to help you. Many have sections dedicated for use by children only, with filtering software, etc.

You can't beat free (and free help)!

Every library I have walked into in the last 5 years has numerous computers hooked up to high-speed internet access and employees are there to help you. Many have sections dedicated for use by children only, with filtering software, etc.

You can't beat free (and free help)!

Every school has computers, every library has them too. I am unaware of ANY child in the US who does not have access to technology and learning if they want it.

I wouldn't want one of these computers: they run a version of Linux (no Windows or Mac OS) and will be 100% incompatible with anything else you use.

Not to send this thread TOO far in a different direction, but I strongly disagree with the statement above. My Linux-based laptop plays just fine with all other systems on my network - far from 100% incompatible.

Furthermore, WalMart continues to sell and sell out of their $200-$300 computer that runs a Linux-variant OS.

I can surf the net, send email, and do word processing on my Linux box(es) - the same as anyone that shelled out big bucks for a Windows/Mac OS.

Anyway, rant over :) I guess I'm just saying "don't be scared because its Linux".

-ExBellhop

The OLPC(one laptop per child) Project essentially takes the approach of "Teach a man to fish..." As I understand it, the wireless would be available via the schools. And the laptop can run both on electric/battery as well as by hand(a crank or foot pedal).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter