LAST-TO-POST #12 Calling all Poster Gals (and Guys) of the Lasting Kind.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:

For the record, my favorite kind of chocolate is Ghirardelli :)

When I worked at a resort they opened a new restaurant. Wanting it to be more than a cafteria and seen as something gourmet they wanted some special chocolate to accomany traditional offerings of snickers and M&Ms.

So I suggested we do a variety of Ghirardelli squares. We needed something where the price would be several times a snickers so we need the cost to be close. The Chef insisted it be something more exotic.

So in came the russian cholate bars. Some with nuts some not. At $3.75 cost we sold them for $4.75 because regular candy was $2.50. I still said it was too big a step in prices. In the end it was ok because we sold more of ther regular candy at the $2 mark up.

So after we had this russian chocolate for sale I tried one out. Really dry. Then I heard customers were returning them because some were dry and had the white dust on them. Chef said it was a bad shipment. His boss agreed, I said look at the sales lets put another Hershey product on the shelf. Second shipment came. Still so many bad bars in it.

Then it came back to my idea and we started selling Gihradelli. Better mark up, and at a lower price, higher volume sales. No quality problems.

I don't really get European chocolate that often. The last time my mom went to the Polish store, she picked up a Mars bar for me. Maybe it was just old, but it was really kind of tasteless.

I love ghiradelli. I do like Hershey but because I'm a fan of dark chocolate I get tired of it.
Ghiradelli however make up to 86% dark. Really good.
Hotel chocolat also make wonderful dark chocolate.

What I adore also is Lindt Balls. Can't remember what they called but the ones in the blue and white wrapping. They might be a Christmas offering.

Not all chocolate is the same when it comes to things like truffles and ganache. The blending of flavours goes way beyond those 3 ingredients. So I've found good versions in Oz and Europe. Never noticed it much in the US so I'm not sure.

But generally I don't eat bars like snickers etc. I prefer solid dark chocolate or chocolate truffles.

I have to be in the right mood for dark chocolate for some reason. I love using Ghirardelli for baking, but it's just so expensive (compared to store brand or Nestle) that I can't use it often.

I also love mint...and the BEST mint chocolate for me is the Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark....mmmmm....so good ::yes::

Just like any plant...the cocoa plant used can be different in quality.
So not all chocolate is made equal, and the balancing act of those ingredients and the skill of the craftsman at the helm of the process, the quality of the machine used etc makes a difference.

Just like coffee beans...the way it is roasted, the type of bean used in the first place etc...
It all makes a difference.

It just started thundering here... Not sure if it's going to storm properly or not, but it is supposed to rain tonight.

I don't really like mint chocolate, but I'm also not the biggest fan ever of mint unless it's in gum or toothpaste.

Lol...big fan of mint here ;)
Generally Spearmint. But Peppermint often works better in Chocolate.

Hope it isn't a bad storm! Just some rain. It's finally stopped raining here for a while which is a nice change.

At LAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter