Leave in 10 hours - should I still go?

bsmcneil

DIS Veteran
I doubt anyone's up or if this is interesting/matters. I have a trip planned from 12/13-12/20 (today thru Saturday) with my girlfriend. We've all but broken up - major problems and we're long distance so we're having difficulty dealing with any of it. Last night things came to a head and I'm just not sure I should go.

Folks seem to say I should go and enjoy the week, regardless. I worry I'll be resentful/upset the whole time - or that it could go really well and a week together can help things. I could really some advice, thoughts or well-wishes.

I dont know what your problems are with your girlfriend but maybe they are not as bad as they seem right now. And maybe a vacation is what you both need. You said you are long distance so maybe some alone time together will help your relationship. You have to ask yourself some questions before deciding if you want to go and possible spend a week from hell or the best week of your life. 1. Do you love her? 2. Is there a chance you can work things out? 3. Do you really want to work things out with her or are you ready to move on? Or maybe she is the one saying she wants to move on and maybe she truly does or maybe she just needs some alone time with you. I know that when my husband and I go to Disney World all of our problems seem less significant. It removes alot of the stress of our everyday lives. Don't get me wrong the problems such as childcare and bills are still here when we come home but by removing the stress for awhile it is easier to deal with once we get home. My advice is that if she is willing to go with you still and you can answer yes to some of the questions I posed esp. the ones you consider most important than go and try to have a great time together. Let any bitterness and stress go and enjoy a wonderful week at Disney World.

Good luck and I hope my advice is helpful.

My husband and I also had a long distance relationship our first year together. It was very difficult at the time but well worth it in the end. We have been together for going on 10 years and married for almost 6 years now. Long distance relationships are def. not for everyone though. There has got to be some give and take on both sides to make it work and both partners have to be willing to work at it. It all comes down to how worth it is it for both of you?

Also if things do not work out for your relationship in the end when you get home at least you know you gave it your all and really tried to make it work. You might find that you had such a wonderful time together and are grateful you got the opportunity to spend that time with each other even if it does not work out in the end.

I dont know what your problems are with your girlfriend but maybe they are not as bad as they seem right now. And maybe a vacation is what you both need. You said you are long distance so maybe some alone time together will help your relationship. You have to ask yourself some questions before deciding if you want to go and possible spend a week from hell or the best week of your life. 1. Do you love her? 2. Is there a chance you can work things out? 3. Do you really want to work things out with her or are you ready to move on? Or maybe she is the one saying she wants to move on and maybe she truly does or maybe she just needs some alone time with you. I know that when my husband and I go to Disney World all of our problems seem less significant. It removes alot of the stress of our everyday lives. Don't get me wrong the problems such as childcare and bills are still here when we come home but by removing the stress for awhile it is easier to deal with once we get home. My advice is that if she is willing to go with you still and you can answer yes to some of the questions I posed esp. the ones you consider most important than go and try to have a great time together. Let any bitterness and stress go and enjoy a wonderful week at Disney World.

Good luck and I hope my advice is helpful.

My husband and I also had a long distance relationship our first year together. It was very difficult at the time but well worth it in the end. We have been together for going on 10 years and married for almost 6 years now. Long distance relationships are def. not for everyone though. There has got to be some give and take on both sides to make it work and both partners have to be willing to work at it. It all comes down to how worth it is it for both of you?

THis was great advice. I cosign on this entirely. If you both want to have a great week only you 2 can make it that way.

I agree that it is great advice. I, too, have had a couple L/D relationships...one lasted for 3.5 yrs...and they do put unique challenges to ya.

By all means, go...even a solo Disney vacation is still a Disney vacation. I went with someone once and he made me MISERABLE in the first 2 days...so I went off on my own for the rest of the week and had a WONDERFUL time.

Just go with her if she will go and play it cool...be friendly and have fun. Take the pressure off. It will probably make it easier to talk at some point.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. We will be there this week as well, we leave this evening. If you'd like to maybe get together, pm me and we'll exchange info. Be warned, I'm a grandma..LOL and my dh is with me so, no, I WON'T go home with you...no matter how much ya beg. ;)

"Hal" saved me a whole lot of typing at 7 am... I agree and say go for it...

Even if you go together knowing the relationship is over, you may get things resolved so you can both move on.

since Disney probably won't give you your money back at this point, even if you go alone, go.

the great thing is that spending time together will help either way -- either by bringing you to a point you want to work on the relationship-- or confirming it's time to end it. Be sure you're on the same page about just going and seeing where the week leads before you go!

A lot of times, some time away together is exactly what my wife and I need. Go for it.

John

A lot of times, some time away together is exactly what my wife and I need. Go for it.

John

I also agree with the previous posters- go ahead and see what happens.
And WDW is a big enough place so that if you need to spend some alone time, you can do that, too.
Whatever happens, I hope things work out for you!

I agree with everyone............Disney World is a great place to fall in love all over again! Maybe this is ecactly what you need. Go and have a great time.
Sending you some *pixie dust*

Just one more person to say I agree with all the great advice above. I was in a long distance relationship for nearly 3 years. We did break up and after we both got married-- he to my BFF, and me to my DD of nearly 20 years, we have a great friend relationship and he and my DD get along great. If she is willing, and the 'major problems' are not as major as they may feel right now, a week at WDW can either bring you back together better than ever or bring closure to you both so you can get on with your life. (Boy that sounds dorky...but it is true.) You won't wonder "what if?", and if you feel that you can both be adult about it-- no insult intended, some people are more emotional than others-- I say go together and enjoy. As friends or more. If that isn't plausible, then go by yourself with your mind set on exploring and enjoying alone, and being happy. Perhaps there is another direction your life is meant to take and a solo trip can take you there.

Best wishes in your decision and your future either way, and I'm sorry for this rough patch in your life. LDR can be both easier and harder on a couple.

I agree with the others. I would go. I wont repeat what others said but they gave some great insight and advice. I just wanted to chime in and add that whatever your decision I wish you the best.

I am no about to give relationship advice, but if it were me I would give it a shot. The trip is planned, much of the money is spent and if you are still debating it you must think there is at least hope to enjoy the vacation if not salvage the relationship.

Go. Of course I don't know your problems, but I would still go. It is hard to not have a good time at Disney.

Did you go?:) Rule of thumb: NEVER pass up a chance to go to WDW:earsboy:

You have already left (as it has been 10 hours) and I hope that you are having a great time. Wishing you all the best. :hug:

Well I hope you report back how it went, but I wouldnt have gone. At least not with her. Cant imagine how miserable it would be to be in Disney fighting the whole time. Like I said I hope you report back and that it goes well.

Long distance is hard but will only make you stronger. My wife and I have been married almost 2 years and of the 2 years we have been married I have been in Iraq for half that time. I also lived in Arkansas when she lived in California while we dated. The only time we saw each other was on mahjor holidays. Needless to say our marriage is sometimes long distance due to a major fact that I am in the Air Force and an aviator and my job keeps me away from her. All I can say is that it only gets better and it will make you 2 stronger.

The op said in another post that his DGF wasnt a big disney fan and that she had to be talked into going to begin with. Also he has some mobility issues and is somewhat reliant on her for this trip, so I hope it works out well but fear this trip could have disaster written all over it. I really do hope he comes back and lets us know how it went, and that even if things between them are over they are able to enjoy each others company and the surroundings for the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter