Legitimate Web Stores

garris3404

Focus on the magic!
Can anyone recommend a legitimate web store. The prices are better, but are the stores OK?

The sites of real "brick-n-mortar" photo stores that I'd recommend are:
B&H Photo
Ritz Camera
Roberts Imaging
Norman Camera
Cameta Camera
Adorama Camera
Camera World (owned by Ritz)

I recently had a lot of trouble with abesofmaine.com, so I'd stay away from them. They substituted different items than I ordered on 3 of the 4 things I wanted. I had ordered from them in the past with no problems, but I guess things have changed with their policies. I certainly will not use them again.

I've also ordered from Adorama in the past and found them to be pretty good.::MinnieMo

I just bought my camera and stuff from Amazon. Factoring in the shipping, the total cost was $5 more than the best price I saw from the legitimate camera stores. I've never had a problem will the zillion things I've bought from Amazon, so the $5 was well worth it to me. Just something to consider.

I ordered from Abes several years back with no problem. However, when I called for some 'advice', the salesman was very pushy.

Scottwdw said:
I recently purchased a digital camera from BuyDig.com, they were highly recommended on the dpreview forums and have very good prices.

http://buydig.com/

I'm getting ready to order my NIkon D50 from them. They the kit w/lens for $609 adn free shipping. Cheapest price I coudl find and a reputable company.

christinadei said:
I'm getting ready to order my NIkon D50 from them. They the kit w/lens for $609 adn free shipping. Cheapest price I coudl find and a reputable company.

The $609 price is with the 28-80MM zoom which equates to a 42-120MM zoom in non-digital camera lingo. I would go with the 18-55MM zoom kit, it's like $40 more but the range equates to 27-82MM zoom which gives you a wide angle to portrait range. JMO. YMMV. :)

Scottwdw said:
The $609 price is with the 28-80MM zoom which equates to a 42-120MM zoom in non-digital camera lingo. I would go with the 18-55MM zoom kit, it's like $40 more but the range equates to 27-82MM zoom which gives you a wide angle to portrait range. JMO. YMMV. :)

Okay, that just confused me. it seems like the first one has more of a range, 42-120 vs. 27-82. I was wondering why this one was less, but I am new to all of this so i don't really understand. :confused3

christinadei said:
Okay, that just confused me. it seems like the first one has more of a range, 42-120 vs. 27-82. I was wondering why this one was less, but I am new to all of this so i don't really understand. :confused3

When I bought my Digital SLR, I already had lenses. One is a 28-70mm zoom which on my DSLR acts like a 42-105MM zoom. This is because the sensor in digital cameras is smaller then the size of traditional 35mm file.

I have found working with the 28-70MM zoom, I wish I had more wide-angle capabiliites. I am currently looking at replacing this lens with an 18-70MM Zoom to give me back what I lost when I switched from my film SLR to my digital.

Sorry to be confusing. :earsboy:

I've heard good things about beachcamera.com.

I ended up buying mine at bestbuy.com last week. The camera I wanted was $60 off last week compared to this week. I could have saved myself $15 in tax by buying elsewhere on the web,but liked the idea of being able to return camera to bestbuy if there was a problem (rather than mailing it somewhere for a return).

we buy (haven't bought cameras yet, though) from ecost.com, mwave.com, and buy.com regularly...

I've bought several items on different occasions from buydig.com. Never a hassle, and the longest I waited to receive the product was 72 hours.

Scottwdw said:
When I bought my Digital SLR, I already had lenses. One is a 28-70mm zoom which on my DSLR acts like a 42-105MM zoom. This is because the sensor in digital cameras is smaller then the size of traditional 35mm file.

I have found working with the 28-70MM zoom, I wish I had more wide-angle capabiliites. I am currently looking at replacing this lens with an 18-70MM Zoom to give me back what I lost when I switched from my film SLR to my digital.

Sorry to be confusing. :earsboy:

Thanks for your help. I ended up ordering a kit from ebay that included the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I do apprecite it!

christinadei said:
Thanks for your help. I ended up ordering a kit from ebay that included the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. I do apprecite it!

I hope you got the Nikon lenses. What else was in the kit? What pice did you get?

I only order from B+H, I have never had a problem with them. I have probably ordered from them twenty times in the last two years. I even had a Sigma flash that went bad on me two weeks after purchase and they replaced it within seven days. Just make sure when you order from them to buy the items with a USA warranty and not a "gray market" warranty. If you get a gray market item it will most likely not be covered by a factory warranty.

garris3404 said:
I hope you got the Nikon lenses. What else was in the kit? What pice did you get?

I paid $998 or somewhere around there and it had 2 Nikon Digital lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. It also had a wide angle lens and an external flash (don't know the brand of those) a 1 gig SD card, table top tripod, regular size tripod, camera bag and lens cleaning kit. I think that's it. I figured with the flash and 3 lenses, it was a good deal.

Stay away from Abe's of Maine. I would happily pay an extra one hundred dollars for my camera than deal with the sleazy practices of that business. They have terrible reviews which I had not discovered until AFTER I placed an order with them. Good for you for doing research before you place your order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter