Legoland or Universal for a 12 yr old

joece

Epcot Fan
Hi I am planning a SoCal trip for late august 2006. I would love to know if you would recommend Universal or Legoland for 2 12 year olds! One loves rides one hates them.

I have wanted to go to Legoland but even when we were down there 5 years ago, DS was not interested (he was 8) even though he loves Legos, so we have never been. Everything I have read says that it is for much younger children, probably 3-8. I would definitely recommend Universal for 12 year olds; we are very much looking forward to our visit there in a couple of weeks.

I think my 3.5 year old would really enjoy legoland, but what about the 60 year old grandparents? I know they like DL, but would they be bored in Legoland?

This was not even hard. Universal is the better choice. They do have a combination of tours, shows and rides, but the tours and shows are the best part of Universal Studios.

We went to USH in summer 2004 with boys (at the time) 8, 9, 11, 12. They loved it.

My family is a big fan of Legoland. I have a 9 yr old DS who loves Legoland.Last year we went with friends and her 13 yr old was kinda bored so it depends if your kids are the adventurous type or not. USH has some more intense rides. Legoland is very interesting though. I love seeing all the life sized stuff made out of legos, even art replicas. Last time I went they had a life sized replica of an suv. USH definitely has more shows though. So it is really up to the tastes of the people going. We did have a great meal at Legoland though.We would go back just for that itself!

I vote Universal. Not much at Legoland to hold the interest of most 12 year olds. We went when our oldest was 9, and he was bored for a good portion of the day (thank goodness he doesn't get whiny, just overly quite)! Our youngest was 3, and too small for most of the rides he wanted to go on.

We did Legoland earlier this week with our 3 kids...5, 7 and 8 years old. We all had a great time, but I'm glad we did it now. I think the kids were the perfect age. I think a 12 year old would enjoy Universal much more.

Jess

We took our 12 year old lego lover in 2003 and he wasn't that impressed. The rides are just so so and the feel of the park isn't all that exciting. I think Legoland is more suitable for kids ages 5 to 10 or so.

Have you considered Magic Mountain which is just a bit further north of Universal? How about Knott's Berry Farm?

Hey cstraub -- I rarely comment on others' photos, but that is an absolutely outstanding one. Just classic.

Anyway, the one thing you are sure to notice if ever in legoland is the number of 12 year olds looking absolutely miserable to be there. It's not for them. If you bring a 12 year old and a younger person; say a sibling; and the 12 year old is the rare type that can have fun taking his little brother or sister on rides, then maybe it's ok. And I'm sure there are also some still young-at-heart 12 year olds that could theoretically enjoy some parts of legoland, but again I think it's rare. I think 8, 9, 10 is really starting to push it. Younger than that, it's like heaven.

Universal on the other hand -- well, it's basically built for 12 year olds.

lark said:
Hey cstraub -- I rarely comment on others' photos, but that is an absolutely outstanding one. Just classic.

Anyway, the one thing you are sure to notice if ever in legoland is the number of 12 year olds looking absolutely miserable to be there. It's not for them. If you bring a 12 year old and a younger person; say a sibling; and the 12 year old is the rare type that can have fun taking his little brother or sister on rides, then maybe it's ok. And I'm sure there are also some still young-at-heart 12 year olds that could theoretically enjoy some parts of legoland, but again I think it's rare. I think 8, 9, 10 is really starting to push it. Younger than that, it's like heaven.

Universal on the other hand -- well, it's basically built for 12 year olds.
Thank you! Really captures the magic!

Wow, that is a precious photo!

Okay, I was actually thinking of going to Universal Studios and was checking out the rides. What happened to the E.T. ride?!?!

Show's how long it's been since I've been there. US has always been a bit weak on rides, and now E. T. is gone? I've decided we're not going. Back to the Future is cool, so is Jurrasic park, but my daughter is too young for both. I thought they had some Cat in the Hat stuff, but maybe that's Florida?

Still undecided on Legoland and if the high price is worth dragging the grandparents around there.

I took DS to both a few years ago. He was 8 at the time. He absolutely loved Legoland because he loves legos. 1 day in Aug was not enough time to see and try everything. We also did Universal for a day and he really liked it, too. My guess is that 12 year olds would enjoy Universal much more if they are not big into legos. Grandparents would do equally well either place, I think.

:earsgirl:

Our family is a big fan of Legoland, also. My kids are 12, 10 & 8. They love Legoland. The rides there are more family rides. Nothing is very intense, just fun. Most of the rides everyone can enjoy together. They have some great themed playgrounds there, too. My DH and I always enjoy the food! They have a couple of good shows. One is a vantriliquist (sp?) show which is really cute and funny. They also have a 4D LegoRacers show that the kids love, a comedic fire safety show, and a knight show in the castle area. You can definately stay busy for a day there, especially if you've never been. There are lots of areas where kids can build Lego's, which our kids love to do! DH and the boys love to spend a couple of hours building and playing in the LegoRacer area! I usually pack a book in my bag, so I can sit and relax while they play in these areas!

Universal is also fun. It has a lot of "older kid" stuff and more thrill rides than Legoland. I think it really depends on your family for which park you decide. :flower:

I've never been to Legoland but my 9 yr. old sister recently went and loved it. I would suggest Universal Studios since you could also go to Citywalk afterwards. It's just like Downtown Disney but without Mickey Mouse ;)

Universal also has a new ride called The Mummy. My cousins told me it's loads of fun and quite the thrill ride if you're the thrill seeker/adventurous type. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter