Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

Tomorrow expect to see some finished products! I have been sewing and cutting all day. We have a wdw trip coming up next week and the masks were so easy that I decided to make everyone a couple.
I only had a little bit of elastic left but I was able to reuse the elastics from disposable masks which worked fine and then I had a lightbulb moment where I remembered I got DD12 one of those loom potholder kits a few years back that was still mostly untouched. Those nylon bands work PERFECT for comfortable ear loops! And I just had them sitting in a craft room drawer!
Honestly I really like the repetitive nature of sewing these masks because it builds confidence with the basics of sewing. I might try to make the swimsuit before we go that I bought all the material for (ahem) 6 months ago... I tried a trial run making one for DD8 which inadvertently turned into lingerie. My husband told me "that is the most inappropriate swimsuit on a child I've ever seen!". Needless to say she never wore it and I chickened out on making mine. But I see masks AND swimsuit in my future.

Between homeschooling the kids and sewing these masks I think I should win some sort of domestic achievement award. Even managed dinner, gym AND a shower 😂
I still need to go through and clip the stray strings but I'm going to delegate that to DD12. I'm out of daylight hours and still have stuff to do. I have about 15 done and have about 15 more to go but I'm waiting on some Amazon supplies. Why do I start these things a week before vacation?

Attachments

• 20201029_181839.jpg
    20201029_181839.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201029_181833.jpg
    20201029_181833.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 26

Has anyone bought this style of mask from Disney yet? Is the sizing like the other masks? I have a random brand of mask designed like this and it's too big and doesn't stay above my nose.

https://www.shopdisney.com/disneyla...374354M.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=40
I ordered 2 this morning when they were first released online, one L and one XL. The shipping email came today! So I'll update when they arrive. With other masks that don't stay up, for both DH and for me (our noses are very different sizes and shapes!), we've found that the self adhesive metal nose strips from Amazon do help. I think we got a bag of 100 for about $5 or $6.

Note that the face mask price went up at WDW, but not at DTD. (Has anyone checked the Disney Stores in the malls?) But be aware of this in case you were planning on buying masks as stocking stuffers or something like that -- you might want to stock up now in case the price goes up in DTD later.
I bought a single mask yesterday at a Disney Store and it was less than both prices in the article... I don't have my receipt but my total with tax (in a high sales tax California county) was $5.86.

Side note- I was there with pie in the sky hopes of getting one of the blue Wishes Come True "D" Disneyland masks long sold out online but they did not have that or any other Spirit Jersey masks. They did have a few non mask items from the Wishes Come True collection.

Has anyone here been making masks regularly? I don't even know if this is the best thread for it. I bought some adorable Disney fabrics at Joann and wanted to make our own for our trip next week. I am having a hard time finding *the best* pattern/template?

I see that you have already posted back, and I love the ones you made! But I will still answer, in case anyone else is looking. I use the Joann Fabrics instructions that they gave out in the kits back in March. The pattern is just a 6x9 rectangle, and the pieces of elastic are about 7 inches each. Pleats seemed a bit daunting to me at first, but I got the hang of them quickly, and I like that they store flat when folded in a baggie in my purse. These are from my latest batch:

Does anyone have the old version of Disney masks and the new version with different “shiny” material? Do you like the new version as much? I love the old version but I think we need a couple more masks for our upcoming trip. Going to hit up my local Disney store this week. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks!!

Does anyone have the old version of Disney masks and the new version with different “shiny” material? Do you like the new version as much? I love the old version but I think we need a couple more masks for our upcoming trip. Going to hit up my local Disney store this week. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks!!
The new styles are a little bigger. A large still fits me like in the old style, but it’s loser at my chin. They feel the same in regards to breathability

The new styles are a little bigger. A large still fits me like in the old style, but it’s loser at my chin. They feel the same in regards to breathability
I agree with this. The older ones are a little more snug and I will say seek more prone to shrinking after washing.

... Side note- I was there with pie in the sky hopes of getting one of the blue Wishes Come True "D" Disneyland masks long sold out online but they did not have that or any other Spirit Jersey masks. They did have a few non mask items from the Wishes Come True collection.
CMs at WOD have said that there should be a restock on the True Blue items -- they just don't know when to expect it. So don't give up hope!

I prefer the newer style masks. Definitely a bit more comfortable to me. The large fits me well in the newer style whereas it still pulls a bit on my ears in the older ones (and I found the XL to be too loose in the old style).

Ok, another question from me. I have a new job and don't have time to go through this whole thread now, but thoughts on the Old navy masks? Thanks!

Ok, another question from me. I have a new job and don't have time to go through this whole thread now, but thoughts on the Old navy masks? Thanks!
For the price, they are great! Comfortable, durable, easy to wash, lots of different colors, great value! (And sometimes even on sale! Check the website for that.) The adult size fits DH and me -- a rare feat. I use the 60 second hack to adjust the fit. These are the cloth masks that we keep as backups in the car, in backpacks, in my purse, in DH's briefcase and desk, etc. That way we always have extra clean masks on hand to use and to share if needed. Gave some to my parents -- they really like them, too. Thumbs up all around! I've seen other good reports on these boards, too -- Old Navy masks are favorites for many people.
ETA: Old Navy has good customer service, too! One order of masks got lost in the mail, so Old Navy sent me a replacement order via express shipping at no charge. :)

For the price, they are great! Comfortable, durable, easy to wash, lots of different colors, great value! (And sometimes even on sale! Check the website for that.) The adult size fits DH and me -- a rare feat. I use the 60 second hack to adjust the fit. These are the cloth masks that we keep as backups in the car, in backpacks, in my purse, in DH's briefcase and desk, etc. That way we always have extra clean masks on hand to use and to share if needed. Gave some to my parents -- they really like them, too. Thumbs up all around! I've seen other good reports on these boards, too -- Old Navy masks are favorites for many people.
ETA: Old Navy has good customer service, too! One order of masks got lost in the mail, so Old Navy sent me a replacement order via express shipping at no charge. :)
Awesome!! Thank you!!!

Our new holiday masks from Spirit Jersey arrived today. They are definitely sized differently than the regular Disney masks -- larger, more generously sized. The L covers more of my face and is a bit too large, but hasn't been washed yet -- so we'll see how it fits after laundering. The XL fits DH, but also covers more of his face. A smaller adult might be able to fit a M in a Spirit Jersey mask -- if someone does try this successfully, please post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter