Lindsay's journal.....3 half marathons later and I'm still at it updated 7/12

Hi Lindsay,
I just came across your journal tonight and started reading it because I'm from Allentown and the St. Luke's shirt in your opening pictures caught my attention. Great job on the weight loss and your running! You should be very proud of yourself!

I have found, too, that running is a great way to keep the weight off. Just wish our weather would be a little cooler. It's tough getting in the miles when it's so humid.
jill

You look wonderful Lindsay! :goodvibes

thanks steph, Im getting there. I hit a little bit of a road block and I have not been moving the scale much the past 2 weeks but Im still working on it.

Hi Lindsay,
I just came across your journal tonight and started reading it because I'm from Allentown and the St. Luke's shirt in your opening pictures caught my attention. Great job on the weight loss and your running! You should be very proud of yourself!

I have found, too, that running is a great way to keep the weight off. Just wish our weather would be a little cooler. It's tough getting in the miles when it's so humid.
jill

Hi Jill, Its always fun to meet someone on here close to home. Yes I am dying for the fall weather. This humidity is for the birds. I did a 6 mile run sunday morning and thought I was going to die. It was so hot and humid at 1030am. I dont know what I was thinking. Do you do any local races?

If I don't get out early to run, I just won't do it in this weather. There's just something about the humidity and the sun and I just start shutting down.

As far as local races, I am thinking about doing the zoo run at the game preserve at the end of this month, particularly since they changed the course and got rid of the nasty hill. I'm also planning on the Rock n Roll Philly Half in Sept. That is one of my favorite courses and the weather is usually pleasant.

What is your next race?

If I don't get out early to run, I just won't do it in this weather. There's just something about the humidity and the sun and I just start shutting down.

As far as local races, I am thinking about doing the zoo run at the game preserve at the end of this month, particularly since they changed the course and got rid of the nasty hill. I'm also planning on the Rock n Roll Philly Half in Sept. That is one of my favorite courses and the weather is usually pleasant.

What is your next race?

I was also considering doing the zoo but couldnt decide if I wanted to do another race with a bunch of hills. I prefer flat:lmao: Most likely if I dont do it the next one will be the women's 5K classic in october- I am signing up for the 5 mile. I am also going to Washington DC in october for the marine corps marathon 10K. I think next year I want to try the RNR- philly that looks so cool. How quick of a runner are you?

My training pace is about 10 minutes per mile, give or take, depending on the weather conditions. When I'm doing a half, I can usually knock about 30 seconds off per mile. If you do any training runs in the Lehigh Parkway, let me know and I can join you. I will PM you my phone number.

And I know what you mean about the hills, but in our area it's tough to find a race that doesn't have any. Even the parkway 5Ks can be challenging with the 2 hills. That's the nice thing about the Disney races -- the only "hills'' you'll come across are when you run up the highway overpasses. Otherwise, it's completely flat.:)

The Rock n Roll Philly course is relatively flat. Another nice race, but it's a drive is the Yuengling Shamrock Half in Virginia Beach in March. Flat course, lots of schwag (two shirts, baseball cap and of course a medal) and the chance to relax and drink free beer on the beach and watch the marathoners come in. Doesn't get much better than that.

A word of warning about the women's 5K classic. It's a wonderful race for a wonderful cause but it's very, very crowded. At a certain point towards the end of the course, the walkers and the runners (5kers and 5 milers) all converge and your run becomes a fast walk. The one year I did the 5 mile race and got very frustrated because I was running up along the side of the trail to get around people. Other races, the crowd thins by the end, but not this one.

My training pace is about 10 minutes per mile, give or take, depending on the weather conditions. When I'm doing a half, I can usually knock about 30 seconds off per mile. If you do any training runs in the Lehigh Parkway, let me know and I can join you. I will PM you my phone number.

And I know what you mean about the hills, but in our area it's tough to find a race that doesn't have any. Even the parkway 5Ks can be challenging with the 2 hills. That's the nice thing about the Disney races -- the only "hills'' you'll come across are when you run up the highway overpasses. Otherwise, it's completely flat.:)

The Rock n Roll Philly course is relatively flat. Another nice race, but it's a drive is the Yuengling Shamrock Half in Virginia Beach in March. Flat course, lots of schwag (two shirts, baseball cap and of course a medal) and the chance to relax and drink free beer on the beach and watch the marathoners come in. Doesn't get much better than that.

A word of warning about the women's 5K classic. It's a wonderful race for a wonderful cause but it's very, very crowded. At a certain point towards the end of the course, the walkers and the runners (5kers and 5 milers) all converge and your run becomes a fast walk. The one year I did the 5 mile race and got very frustrated because I was running up along the side of the trail to get around people. Other races, the crowd thins by the end, but not this one.

Yes I ran the 5K 2 years ago. It was my first race ever. I was overwhelmed at how packed it was. The funny thing was the competitive walkers were passing me:lmao: Like I said it was my first race I was slow and just happy to finish it. I actually cried when I crossed the finish line. Now I am much more experienced although I am still a back of the pack runner. I currently run at a 11:30-12:00 pace. I usually dont run in the parkway just because I am alone and it freaks me out. I live in bethlehem so its a little drive too. I use to live right up from the parkway on liberator ave. I would love to get a running partner for longer runs. Do you have any gps devices you use. I currently am in the ice age and use map my run and right my route on my hand:lmao: unless I have it memorized. I dont know how to figure how far Im going in the parkway. I need to know how far I go to keep me motivated. Sorry for the book. Let me know if you are doing the LV zoo and I will sign up to and meet up with you there.

talk to you soon

I would be lost without my Garmin 205. Got it off of Amazon (no shipping, no tax). I used to do the Map My Run thing and also go out in my car and drive the route. The Garmin is well worth the cost, not just for training but also when doing the longer races to get yourself through it mentally.

Yep, the parkway is a bit of a drive from Bethlehem. I live very close to it (right off South 24th St.) and don't get down there as much I'd like to. But the hills are great for training, particularly the Nature Trail Hill down by the fish hatchery. And the entire loop is about 6 miles. Sometimes I'll leave the parkway and head up into the residential area to get more miles.

Are you still doing the Princess Half? I have only done the Disney races during marathon weekend in January.

I will definitely decide in a couple days about the zoo race and let you know.

Hi Lindsay! :wave:

Congrats on the 20 pound weight loss! :cool1: You're looking great! :thumbsup2

I need to step things up so I'll start losing again. My goal was to lose 30 pounds by the end of the year and that's definitely doable, but not at my present rate. :rolleyes1

Keep up the great work! :goodvibes

I realized I have really been neglecting my journal lately. I thought I would check in with a quick update.

The weight loss has slowed a little the past few weeks. As of last monday 8/9 I was at 190.8 bs only a 1lb loss in 2 weeks. I am still at an overall loss of 24.2lbs.

I really just need to focus again on actually counting my points instead of estimating and not being afraid to go a little over. I also need to make sure I am drinking enough water daily. One this that has not slacked is my running. I am still running at least 3 times a week. 2 runs approx 3-4 miles each, and the 3rd run I increase each week and I am at 6.2 miles.

Today was my 6.2 mile run and I completed it in 1hr 21min. approx 13:00/mile pace.

I actually am impressed that I kept the running up with all the horrible heat and humidity we have had the past few months.

I am waiting to get the final word from my mom on whether or not we are doing the princess half. Its looking like a go but my mom changes her mind as much as she changes her underwear:lmao: I am hoping to book our trip with in the next 2 weeks.

I will try to update more often.

Hi Lindsay,
Nice job on your weekend long run.
Just wanted to let you know that I signed up for the zoo 5K. Maybe I'll see you there.
jill

Hi Lindsay,
Nice job on your weekend long run.
Just wanted to let you know that I signed up for the zoo 5K. Maybe I'll see you there.
jill

Hi Jill,

I will let you know what I decide. I am still trying to decide if I can work it into that weekend. I have some other stuff going on too. I will let you know for sure.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I read through your journal and I'm so impressed and inspired by your story. I'm just getting started in training for the January 1/2 marathon so hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps over the next few weeks.

I recently moved out of the Philly area so I recognized your photo with citizen's bank park right away. My hubby is a huge Phillies fan too. We had to get the MLB package so he could keep following them now that we've moved away.

Anyway, best of luck with your training. I look forward to following along with your posts.

Hi Jill,

I will let you know what I decide. I am still trying to decide if I can work it into that weekend. I have some other stuff going on too. I will let you know for sure.

Thanks!

Unfortunately other stuff has come up so I am not doing the race on saturday. Good luck. I think the next one I am doing for sure is the womens classic (5 Mile). Let me know how you do on saturday!

Hi there,

I read through your journal and I'm so impressed and inspired by your story. I'm just getting started in training for the January 1/2 marathon so hopefully I'll be following in your footsteps over the next few weeks.

I recently moved out of the Philly area so I recognized your photo with citizen's bank park right away. My hubby is a huge Phillies fan too. We had to get the MLB package so he could keep following them now that we've moved away.

Anyway, best of luck with your training. I look forward to following along with your posts.

Thanks for reading along. Yes we would be lost if we couldnt get the phillies games. I am hoping to post more frequently on here. Tomorrow or Friday I will post an updated pic since its been 4 months now. The Jan. half sounds like a lot of fun too. Good luck with your training...I hope its going well for you.

Life has gotten so busy. My oldest DS ryan started Kindergarten last week and there is so much going on at work. I have been doing really well with my weight loss journey through it all. As of today I weighed 185.2 I am hoping i will have the .2 off by tomorrow to say I lost 30lbs to date. My overall goal is to loose 60 so I am half way there.:yay: I am definitely doing the princess in february too so I think that is giving me an extra motivation boost. I am hoping to register and book our trip this weekend. I will keep my journal updated as I go. I think I am going to start a PTR too.

Here is my starting picture:eek: and my current picture. :woohoo:
pics003-1.jpg
weightlosspics008.jpg

How tall are you? You look like you weigh a lot less than you do. What you are doing is working. Congratulations!

How tall are you? You look like you weigh a lot less than you do. What you are doing is working. Congratulations!

thanks for the compliment. :goodvibes I am 5'6. I have always looked lighter than what the scale says. Even at a really healthy skinny weight I am still 155. I guess Im just big boned.:lmao:

I have been running anywhere from 3-7 miles 3Xweek and trying to do weight watchers. I feel like healthy eating and portion control now just feels like a lifestyle change and I really dont even count my points to a T anymore. I eat things I still like just in moderation and smaller sizes.

thanks for the compliment. :goodvibes I am 5'6. I have always looked lighter than what the scale says. Even at a really healthy skinny weight I am still 155. I guess Im just big boned.:lmao:

I have been running anywhere from 3-7 miles 3Xweek and trying to do weight watchers. I feel like healthy eating and portion control now just feels like a lifestyle change and I really dont even count my points to a T anymore. I eat things I still like just in moderation and smaller sizes.

Wow! We're about the same height. You look a lot smaller than your weight.

Life has gotten so busy. My oldest DS ryan started Kindergarten last week and there is so much going on at work. I have been doing really well with my weight loss journey through it all. As of today I weighed 185.2 I am hoping i will have the .2 off by tomorrow to say I lost 30lbs to date. My overall goal is to loose 60 so I am half way there.:yay: I am definitely doing the princess in february too so I think that is giving me an extra motivation boost. I am hoping to register and book our trip this weekend. I will keep my journal updated as I go. I think I am going to start a PTR too.

Just poppin' in, Lindsay, to say :woohoo: and :yay: that you are halfway to your goal! :cool1: You look marvelous! Keep up the good work! I know it is so tough to keep going day after day, especially as your losses slow down but it is obvious that it really has paid off for you! :cool2:

Can't wait to see you at the Princess! princess:

Just poppin' in, Lindsay, to say :woohoo: and :yay: that you are halfway to your goal! :cool1: You look marvelous! Keep up the good work! I know it is so tough to keep going day after day, especially as your losses slow down but it is obvious that it really has paid off for you! :cool2:

Can't wait to see you at the Princess! princess:

thank you so much Lisa....I cant wait to see you too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter