Locals- how do you keep it fresh?

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
:wave: Hi all. We relocated back to Southern California in July after 24 yrs in Utah. We are elated to be home. :cloud9:

We have been having a wonderful time and visit the parks about once a week; sometimes more. It has not gotten old in the slightest.

We are loving being able to just *be* when we are there but still enjoy the occasional rope and closing down the parks as well.

Wondering how those of you who visit often and/or live locally keep it your visits fresh (I can't think of a better word)?

Couple ways - first of all, it's nice to just mix up our routine. Sometimes it's nice to go first thing in the AM; sometimes it's nice to come after work and see the nighttime entertainment. Since you can come back at your leisure there's no pressure to do certain things on any given day. Sometimes we'll just go to DCA, sometimes DL, sometimes both.

Second, Disney is great about keeping it fresh because there's always special limited time menu items, merchandise, character meets, ride overlays and seasonal events!

Third, it's also fun to go with/meet up with different Disney friends on separate trips.

We are not local but visit for multiple days 4-6 times per year. We follow pinksand's second and third tips. We have shared park time with various friends and family throughout the years. To be honest, my favorite trips are still the ones with just my husband or husband and kids, but going with other people once in a while breaks patterns, offers fresh perspectives, and is just fun sometimes for the socialization. Even more fun to us is trying out new stuff. While we don't try every food or buy every piece of merchandise or attend every special event, there is always something that is new or different about each trip because one of those categories will offer something that wasn't there or that we didn't have time to get to the last time we visited. I think Disney is changing things up often enough to interest even more frequent visitors than us. I know if I lived closer there are additional events like Lunar New Year that I would love to check out.

:wave: Hi all. We relocated back to Southern California in July after 24 yrs in Utah. We are elated to be home. :cloud9:

We have been having a wonderful time and visit the parks about once a week; sometimes more. It has not gotten old in the slightest.

We are loving being able to just *be* when we are there but still enjoy the occasional rope and closing down the parks as well.

Wondering how those of you who visit often and/or live locally keep it your visits fresh (I can't think of a better word)?
I usually just try to go with the flow. If there are not long lines, maybe it will turn into riding a lot of rides. If there are crowds, maybe I'll go and relax in the Grand Californian lobby for a bit. Or go on one or two rides and then wander around DTD. Sometimes I have one or two things I want to do/eat/buy so I base the trip on that.

I feel like I go a lot and it really never gets stale to me. I've only had my pass for almost one year so we'll see but I feel like every visit has a different vibe. I've gone four times in the last 9 days (once with my mom, once with my MIL, once with my mom friend and her young daughter and once with my best friend) and each day has been totally different and fun!

I make sure to check out what the latest seasonal events they have through here, blogs or Disney Park Blogs.
It’s a tremendous relief not having to do and see everything. I can simply just enjoy the atmosphere. With a new little one, I don’t actually go on that many rides and I don’t mind at all.

We try to take/make the time every visit to focus on other people, be it guests or CMs. Getting to know CMs or making magic for other guests makes each visit special in a different way. And as we get to know more CMs (and sometimes other guests, if they are regular visitors), seeing familiar faces throughout the parks and on rides keeps visits fresh in unexpected ways. Also, we love to take time to watch the "wildlife" around the parks. There is one DL kitty who comes when we call. Those visits are always special. :)

I will do things that I normally never do. I may decide to eat somewhere I've never eaten or watch a show that I normally wouldn't watch, etc.

I know this costs more when you already have an AP, but going to any of the after hours events is the best. Last year, I did the party for TOT going away, the GOTG preview party, the mainstreet electrical parade preview party and a Halloween party. Those were by far my best times at the parks in the past couple of years. I really need to consider not getting an AP and just doing the after hour parties. Those are unpredictable though, so they may not even have any in the future.

Not _very_ local, but being in NorCal, when we have AP's we go about once a month to every six weeks. Two strategies:

1) Take an actual break. Get an AP every other year instead of every year and spend that AP money on other California trips (or international trips or even other Disney trips like DCL). Though its so hard to not go to Disney when we come back its like a new world all over again.
2) Watch for seasonal food updates on DisneyFoodBlog. Seems like every time we go new interesting things pop up on the menus all over the parks from differently flavored funnel cakes to new drinks and snacks that sometimes are better than the original, sometimes just fun to have something different and interesting.

I keep my visits fresh and fun by talking with CMs. I'll often ask them what their favorite or craziest experiences have been. So far, they've always been willing to share.

I also just take time to chill on the ROA and watch people go by. It's usually pretty peaceful towards the entrance of POTC.

Couple ways - first of all, it's nice to just mix up our routine. Sometimes it's nice to go first thing in the AM; sometimes it's nice to come after work and see the nighttime entertainment. Since you can come back at your leisure there's no pressure to do certain things on any given day. Sometimes we'll just go to DCA, sometimes DL, sometimes both.

Second, Disney is great about keeping it fresh because there's always special limited time menu items, merchandise, character meets, ride overlays and seasonal events!

Third, it's also fun to go with/meet up with different Disney friends on separate trips.

I do enjoy going with different Disney friends. Some have kids, some don't, some like to drink. :lmao:

I am truly enjoying the not feeling pressured but it was difficult at first to shed that feeling. When we visited from Utah it always enjoyable but knowing we a)paid so much to be there and b) were only visiting for a few days, had me in a commando mindset.

We are not local but visit for multiple days 4-6 times per year. We follow pinksand's second and third tips. We have shared park time with various friends and family throughout the years. To be honest, my favorite trips are still the ones with just my husband or husband and kids, but going with other people once in a while breaks patterns, offers fresh perspectives, and is just fun sometimes for the socialization. Even more fun to us is trying out new stuff. While we don't try every food or buy every piece of merchandise or attend every special event, there is always something that is new or different about each trip because one of those categories will offer something that wasn't there or that we didn't have time to get to the last time we visited. I think Disney is changing things up often enough to interest even more frequent visitors than us. I know if I lived closer there are additional events like Lunar New Year that I would love to check out.

I love this! And with so many seasonal celebrations there is always something new to experience.

I usually just try to go with the flow. If there are not long lines, maybe it will turn into riding a lot of rides. If there are crowds, maybe I'll go and relax in the Grand Californian lobby for a bit. Or go on one or two rides and then wander around DTD. Sometimes I have one or two things I want to do/eat/buy so I base the trip on that.

Thats what we have been doing. Festival of the Holidays has been a focus as of late. We went last week and did the FoH, RSR single rider, IASW Holiday, HMH, and shopped. It was a fantastic 5 hours.

I feel like I go a lot and it really never gets stale to me. I've only had my pass for almost one year so we'll see but I feel like every visit has a different vibe. I've gone four times in the last 9 days (once with my mom, once with my MIL, once with my mom friend and her young daughter and once with my best friend) and each day has been totally different and fun!

:woohoo: It doesn;t feel stale to me either. I have been visiting for about 47 years and I still get so excited when we enter the parks.

I do enjoy going with different Disney friends. Some have kids, some don't, some like to drink. :lmao:

I am truly enjoying the not feeling pressured but it was difficult at first to shed that feeling. When we visited from Utah it always enjoyable but knowing we a)paid so much to be there and b) were only visiting for a few days, had me in a commando mindset.

I love this! And with so many seasonal celebrations there is always something new to experience.

Thats what we have been doing. Festival of the Holidays has been a focus as of late. We went last week and did the FoH, RSR single rider, IASW Holiday, HMH, and shopped. It was a fantastic 5 hours.

:woohoo: It doesn;t feel stale to me either. I have been visiting for about 47 years and I still get so excited when we enter the parks.
Yeah, my family and friends don’t understand how i can go so often! The thing is, there is always something new to see or a favorite experience to repeat.

It stays fresh -- it really does. We don't go super often with our APs, but we experience all the different seasons and special offerings. From trip to trip there are always subtle differences, like, "Are they making my favorite English toffee this time?" And then there are more major differences, like the food festivals. And if there are special upsell parties, you do pay for the ticket, but you get more time in the park. We love the years we have our APs and are sad when we don't!. Enjoy!

It stays fresh -- it really does. We don't go super often with our APs, but we experience all the different seasons and special offerings. From trip to trip there are always subtle differences, like, "Are they making my favorite English toffee this time?" And then there are more major differences, like the food festivals. And if there are special upsell parties, you do pay for the ticket, but you get more time in the park. We love the years we have our APs and are sad when we don't!. Enjoy!

Thank you! I think one of my favorite things has been to enjoy the different seasons; going often enough to notice even the small changes. :cloud9:

Not renewing won't be an option as long as funds allow. We just live too close not to have APs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter