• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loews card arrived today....

jubileegirl

Mouseketeer
Our Loews First card arrived today which was really exciting ( my husband said 'what's this, is it junk mail?' I DON'T THINK SO )
Anyway, reading the small print confirmed that the 'benefits' don't apply with other discounts which I assume includes getting the FAN club rate (which we have!).
So, bearing in mind that some people have still got the free room gift/upgrade and also that we are from the UK where you feel that you are being a terrible nuisance or have the cheek of the devil to expect anything for nothing.....what do we say at check-in when we arrive at the RPH in August?
Also will it help to e-mail the hotel to ask for a room with a IOA view before we arrive?
Help please from UK newbies....

I am just planning to ask about the free gift. If they say "no", then I am going to tell them it's our family reunion or birthday or something like has been suggested.

Originally posted by Familyof14
I am just planning to ask about the free gift. If they say "no", then I am going to tell them it's our family reunion or birthday or something like has been suggested.

*Sigh....* Here I go again "Putting my 2 cents in" (as hubby so often likes to tell me).

Familyof14,
I don't recall ever seeing any posts regarding someone "telling them it's their family reunion or birthday" when asking for Loews 1st gift & being turned down. (My apologies if there were.) I DO recall a poster saying that she asked if she was eligible for a gift & being told she wasn't because she had booked a discount rate. It was then that the check-in clerk suggested that it be noted that a birthday was being celebrated in order to allow her (the clerk) to justify why a discounted room was receiving a Loews 1st gift. Telling them it's your birthday or family reunion after being declined (if in fact it's not), and having the front desk "suggest" it in order to bypass management's checks & balances are two different things IMHO.

Jubileegirl,
I won't be eligible for the Loews 1st gift either, but will greet the front desk person with a winning smile & pleasant demeanor. I imagine the conversation would go something like this: "Excuse me, but I was wondering if this stay will qualify me to receive a Loews 1st gift?" If the answer is no, I might counter with "Well, I understand. I certainly did get a great rate at least! This is my first stay at a Loews property, and from what I've seen so far of the resort, I have to say it's as beautiful as I've heard it would be. I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay & will be sure to pass the word on to others." Some may call it schmoozing, but honestly, that's how I try to treat people & find that having a positive attitude goes a long way in getting the same in return. So I say, put on your best smile, ask away & if declined.....well, at least you got a chance to polish your people skills! Also, I called Loews after my initial reservation to request an IOA view for my kids.....again, I can understand if they can't honor it as they don't guarantee a specific view with standard, but my attitude is "expect nothing and you're never disappointed!" Enjoy your trip :D

Hi GeminiMom,
Thanks for the advice - actually I'm often told to 'stop gushing!' but I do get easily impressed, especially if people are nice to me (must have had a deprived childhood!) and as we will have just spent 4 nights in a 'cheap and cheerful' motel in Kissimmee I suspect that we will probably all be drooling a little - at least if the pics of the RPH are anything to go by. In fact I just might get the reception staff some milk and cookies!! So I shall smile and see what happens........

and Hi familyof14,
Hope you get lucky with your room!

Have a great trip, both of you!

Funnily enough we got our renewal card today too. We have stayed at HRH twice and RPR once with the ENT rate and each time got our free gift - lovely bottles of wine. If we don't get it doesn't matter - it can't hurt to ask! When we first went we were the typical reserved scottish people but I am getting better!
Wendy

GeminiMom - I have actually read in two places where the poster suggest that if it is your birthday, you should ask for the gift anyway. Once on the review boards and once on the CC board that I frequent.
Are you suggesting that I would lie to get the gift! :o
WE really are having a family reunion beginning with the day we check in (all 14 of us - hence the Familyof14 name) and my brother will be celebrating his birthday while we are cruising. I am sure he would love the beer and nuts! :teeth:

When I said "something like has been suggested", I meant like someones anniversary, childs birthday, etc. that I have read for suggestions on getting a gift.

Sorry you misunderstood. :)

Familyof14,
My apologies if you were offended, that wasn't my intent at all when I posted a response. (And believe me I debated about saying anything at all! :D ) I knew I ran the risk of sounding like the "Resort Police":p You're right, I did misunderstand your comment....when you said, "family reunion, or birthday, or something..." I assumed you were suggesting to others with the same question to just try anything. And if you were, well honestly, it was none of my business!! That's what I get for assuming :rolleyes: I hope you have a wonderful family reunion & enjoy your stay @ US/IOA & on your cruise!:D

No offense taken! ;)

While I do like to get the best value for my money, I am not dishonest (although I have been known to find an honest way around rules). :D

My children get so aggravated with me sometimes. They may try to do something that is out-of-line or not quite honest. When I call them down about it, their response is "well, everyone does it!" My response to them when they say this is "well, we are not everybody." :D

Have a great day!

To get back on subject...jubileegirl, how long did it take for you to get your card?

Gosh Familyof 14! I've been assuming you had 12 kids all this time! LOL!!! Even my daughter made a comment about it.

Not sure exactly how long it took for the card to come, but probably 10 - 12 weeks. We had our membership number e-mailed when we first joined from the Loews site so could have used that if our trip had been imminent!

When I called to place our rez for our stay at RPH in June (7-11). I told the clerk I wanted to check on Ent.Rates. They were available. (at $144 a nite for those that like to know). While booking this he asked if i was a Loews member. (joined last year when we stayed at the HRH) he took the info and we set up our goodies.
Then he asked about the age of our DD and added a welcome item for her (upon arrival).
We also received our Loews goodies last year even though we used a Ent. Rate.

Just wanted to pass this along. Hope it helps.

WDW - PORT ORLEANS OCTOBER 2000
HARD ROCK - ORLANDO JUNE 2003
ROYAL PACIFIC HOTEL JUNE 2004 (not soon enough)

When y'all call for rates, etc....do they always ask for your name before they will give you any info?

Although I have our Loew's first card number, we never received the actual card. Ordered it about a month ago. Will we need the actual card or just the number. Hopefully it will arrive before July trip. Does anybody have the number to call to check up on it? Thanks in advance.

The card is only a flimsy piece of paper really, with your name and membership number, so I'm sure you could just show the e-mail confirmation from Loews which came when you joined! That will have the same info on it.

We have PAP's and book using either the AP Rate or the
Florida Resident Rate for a discount when we stay onsite
(we've stayed at all three hotels).

We've always received the Loews First gift, although we've had problems with the mini-bar credit not being credited to our room and having to call Accounting at the hotel after our credit card was charged (they always reversed the charge for us).

Strangely enough, we were just upgraded to LoewsFirst Gold, but we have never paid rack rate for a room.
I thought that discounted stays did not count towards membership upgrades, but I'm not complaining!

(Edited because I goofed and typed LoewsFirst Blue instead of Gold,
resulting in a post that didn't make much sense!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter