Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

My family loves Toad in the hole! We are ex-pats with my husband and kids all being born in England so anything with a Yorkshire pudding included is good to go! In fact my MIL is coming to stay just after we get back from Florida and the kids have already given requests for Yorkshire pudding and roast beef, plus a toad in the hole! Apparently my yorkshires are just not as good as Nan's!!!

Next time, I'm going for the pancakes, too. They looked divine!! But then again, so did the omelets.....oh, the painful decisions one has to make on vacation!! :rotfl2: Such a hardship, I know!

I always order omelettes at IHOP- they have pancake batter in them, and they come with 3 pancakes included!

Great updates. The toad in hole looks ok (big yorkshire pudding fans here, I make them most sundays with our sunday roast dinner)

Lamb has quite a stong flavour, more like beef than pork.

I loved the orange drink in Leaky Cauldron too........we have never eaten there, food doesn't appeal but what you had looks nice.

Lamb is quite unique. Cooked wrong it can be awful and has to have fat removed........we love it though but I always cook a lamb leg or lamb shank in red wine, garlic, cranberry/red currant type of sauce and spicy too.........cooked correctly it is divine!

IHOP pancakes are lush!!!! Among the nicest I have eaten.........

Looking forward to more of your trip........:D

Last edited:
Life has been CRAZY for me in the past couple of weeks, so i am finally all caught up here! (sheesh, you're good at staying on top of this TR! Well DONE!)

I think i am just a crazy Italian food lover, because I love OG, Carrabbas, and Macaroni grill (mac grill has the best bread, followed by OG'd breadsticks, IMO) i am happy to hear you enjoyed Carrabbas.

also, just yesterday we were talking about that skeleton museum; I recognize some of those animals in your pics (a sealion and bear for sure!)

did you stay to watch american Ninja Warrior?! One of my favorite shows for the summer! (Kacy Catanzaro is my idol, i want to be just like her when I grow up).

and i know i had other comments, but i've already forgotten them,

Yes, I believe it's lamb, but I honestly couldn't tell. It tastes just like beef stew.

Hmmmm...interesting! I may have to give that a try then in October! (unless its too hot outside for stew....that's cold weather food for us Canadians :rotfl:)

My family loves Toad in the hole! We are ex-pats with my husband and kids all being born in England so anything with a Yorkshire pudding included is good to go! In fact my MIL is coming to stay just after we get back from Florida and the kids have already given requests for Yorkshire pudding and roast beef, plus a toad in the hole! Apparently my yorkshires are just not as good as Nan's!!!

I hear ya.....Jake always tells me that no one cooks like Nanny does. It must be all those years of experience!!!

I always order omelettes at IHOP- they have pancake batter in them, and they come with 3 pancakes included!

The eggs have pancake batter in them? In the omelet? Really?? That's so weird!

Great updates. The toad in hole looks ok (big yorkshire pudding fans here, I make them most sundays with our sunday roast dinner)

Lamb has quite a stong flavour, more like beef than pork.

Good description. If its even remotely close to beef or pork, I know Steve would like it!

Only part Spiderman...just the part that walks on the roof at 3am

You are one complex chick. Just sayin'.

I loved the orange drink in Leaky Cauldron too........we have never eaten there, food doesn't appeal but what you had looks nice.

Lamb is quite unique. Cooked wrong it can be awful and has to have fat removed........we love it though but I always cook a lamb leg or lamb shank in red wine, garlic, cranberry/red currant type of sauce and spicy too.........cooked correctly it is divine!

IHOP pancakes are lush!!!! Among the nicest I have eaten.........

Looking forward to more of your trip........:D

You know what the only thing was that I didn't like about that drink? The cinnamon sugar rim ran down the side of the cup and made it all sticky. It was much more "refreshing" than butterbeer (far less heavy/sweet) but way messier.

Life has been CRAZY for me in the past couple of weeks, so i am finally all caught up here! (sheesh, you're good at staying on top of this TR! Well DONE!)

I think i am just a crazy Italian food lover, because I love OG, Carrabbas, and Macaroni grill (mac grill has the best bread, followed by OG'd breadsticks, IMO) i am happy to hear you enjoyed Carrabbas.

also, just yesterday we were talking about that skeleton museum; I recognize some of those animals in your pics (a sealion and bear for sure!)

did you stay to watch american Ninja Warrior?! One of my favorite shows for the summer! (Kacy Catanzaro is my idol, i want to be just like her when I grow up).

and i know i had other comments, but i've already forgotten them,

Welcome back!!! I can't stand those trip reports that have huge gaps in updates.....that's my OCD speaking, of course.....so I try to keep mine moving as much as my hectic life will allow.

We didn't stay to watch American Ninja Warrior....honestly, we didn't know that was an option! (Steve would have LOVED it). The podcast crew stayed, though, and I guess it went pretty late into the night/early morning. I guess it would have fouled up our daytime plans anyway.

As a SeaWorld gal, you would love the Skeleton museum. Try to go if you can ::yes:: . Seeing the marine animals in particular (bottle nosed dolphin, sea lion, etc.) was really quite interestingly cool.

Wednesday, May 6th: part 4

The days were ticking by quickly on this vacation, and we were rapidly running out of time to squeeze in the remainder of our must-do’s (including the must eats) before we flew back home on Friday night. We still had a couple of things that we simply had to have while in Universal Studios, so for dessert on this lovely spring afternoon, we made our way back to Springfield.

As you already know, we had conquered the infamous Big Pink Donut earlier in the week, so today, we kicked things up a notch :thumbsup2. We strolled up to Lard Lad and ordered a Brain Freezin’ D’oh!-nut Sundae to share.

With our towering creation in hand, we then made our way across the street to Simpson’s Fast Food Boulevard to get the perfect beverage to accompany our dessert: the signature drink of Springfield, a Flaming Moe! :banana:

The pour....

Ta-da! :cheer2:

I am not really sure which one I found more visually impressive. The sundae was big.....really big.....and definitely one of those “made to share” kind of items (though Steve could have polished one off by himself on a hungry day). The Flaming Moe was just so darn realistic (straight out of the cartoon series!) and it smoked and bubbled for a remarkably long time. Both were super good, and met or surpassed our taste expectations....which admittedly were getting pretty darn high, considering we had eaten, for the most part, spectacularly well over the duration of this trip. The costs of our indulgences? The sundae was $7.02 including tax (no discount for AP holders at Lard Lad) and the Flaming Moe was $8.14 including tax and the AP discount. The Flaming Moe was perhaps a bit pricey, but you get to keep the cup.....so there’s some souvenir value built in there which definitely helped with the value aspect. Both treats were super fun which made them totally worth it on that merit alone ::yes::.

Walking the two items to our table definitely garnered a lot of attention, particularly from the little folk in the restaurant. There were some HUGE eyes and more than a few little fingers pointing out our snack to their moms. If I ever win the lottery, I’m going to take $500 and buy a whole bunch of donut sundaes and Flaming Moe’s and pass them out randomly to the youngsters in Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard. That’s on my bucket list of things to do before I die :goodvibes.

After polishing off the last of the sundae and the Flaming Moe, we felt the weariness start to settle in rather sharply. Our interrupted sleep in the wee hours of the morning was coming back to bite us, as we quite suspected it would (especially in all the fresh air, sunshine, walking exercise, and now.....sweet indulgences). We opted for a few more attractions, then said we’d call it a day.

We rode ET again, of course, since it was simply begging for us after we left Simpson’s Fast Food Boulevard.

After ET, we made our way toward the front of the park and rode Shrek, and then did some shopping in the adjacent gift shop. Steve had spied “his perfect shirt” here earlier in the week, and vowed he would return to buy it before we left. What better time than the present? And so it was that he became the proud owner of the Universal Studio’s shirt emblazed with “Just Another Sexy Bald Guy” emblazoned on the front in unmistakeable Shrek green. I had to agree, for my Steve-o, this was definitely most fitting! :rotfl2:

Our last park attraction of the day was Despicable Me: I could not think of a better ending. We were able to skip the line with our after-4 pm Express, and after the ride was over, we lucked in to another Minion dance party! :hyper:

Those minions are seriously so much fun :teeth:. And it was cool that one of the minions was different than the two we met on our arrival day. Wait till we tell Bob .

A little note on our Despicable Me experience #2: since Steve had just consumed a rather large portion of that sweet sundae not long before, he requested that we have the non-motion seats at the front of the theater (the regular seating in the motion simulator had made him a bit nauseous the first time we rode). I must say, after riding in both the motion and non-motion seats, I would take the motion seats any day.....I, personally, found the non-motion seats to be worse due to their sheer closeness to that monstrous screen. Of course, your mileage may vary!

On our way out of the park, we stopped at the Universal Store and picked up an assortment of souvenirs to bring home to some special family and friends back home. The Edith Minion mug for my mom, a Universal teddy bear for Sweetie (dressed as a film director), some “Minion fuel” (chocolate bars with banana pieces) for a few hard to buy for folks, and a Simpson’s bacon chocolate bar for Jake (Steve simply couldn’t resist....most of the other items we had purchased for Jake involved shoes clothing from the Nike Clearance Store in Kissimmee, and we wanted him to have something from the parks, too).

On our way back to the parking garage, we took our time meandering through CityWalk, enjoying the scenery and checking out some of the new and noteworthy dining establishments which had opened since our visit last August. We may have to try a few of the new and noteworthy places in October....but not Cowfish. No sushi lovers here.

Then it was back to the car. We were pooped :faint:, and all parked out.

Back at the resort, we relaxed (collapsed?) for an hour or so before rousing ourselves to freshen up for dinner. Both proved very therapeutic, and we managed to infuse ourselves with another burst of energy.....otherwise, it would have been pizza delivery for sure. Feeling a little more human and starting to get a wee bit hungry, we headed out to the car and up the I4 to our dinner destination on Conroy Road:

It was a pretty unassuming place on the outside, but we had heard GREAT things about Bubbalou’s. We were very intrigued to see if it lived up to all the hype.

Heading inside, we perused their menu and considered what to order. An assortment of personable young men all stuck their heads out from the kitchen area to greet us warmly and offer assistance. We figured that was a good sign in a barbecue place: a bunch of guys in charge of the cooking. The male species, for some strange reason, always seems to be very good at barbecuing meat. I have no idea why, but it’s true ::yes::. Like it’s a genetic thing carried all the way back from the caveman days or something ;).

We finally decided on what we wanted to eat, put in our order, paid, and chose a place to sit. The fellow at the counter gave us our ridiculously huge beverages to get us started (we honestly should have just ordered one and shared it.....their soft drink sizes were enormous) so we hauled those over to a table. The decor was comfy and casual....very casual.....with the walls adorned in wood, and the seating area an array of picnic tables.

A selection of their signature sauces sat on every table....the sweet and the mild looked very tempting. I would definitely be taking a pass on the hot and the killer.

The aroma in that place was intoxicating. Thankfully, we didn’t have too long to salivate before our platters were brought out to us, all hot and smoky and delicious.

Steve went all out with the “Bubbalou’s Special” which featured a generous portion each of ribs, chicken, beef and pork (you can’t see each one very clearly in this photo, but they’re all piled one on top of the other). He chose the barbecue beans and mac ‘n cheese as his sides, and they topped it all off with two humonstrous slices of garlic bread. His meal (and all of their dinners, for that matter) also came with a container of their house made coleslaw, but somehow that managed to evade my photo:

I’m a brisket lover, so that’s what I chose (no real menu consideration was even necessary....I knew before I arrived what I would be having!):

I don’t like coleslaw, so I told them not to bother adding that to my platter (I hate seeing things go to waste) so he offered me something else from the menu as a substitute. I wasn’t sure what to pick, so he suggested corn on the cob. Sold. Corn wouldn’t be in season at home for another several months, so being able to enjoy it in early May is a real treat indeed.

[/URL
]

Let’s just say I am glad we visited THIS barbecue joint after Hog Heaven.....because I think the quality at Bubbalou’s may have ruined barbecue for us anywhere else. The meat was absolutely perfect, that corn on the cob was the best I’d ever had (no joking), and we savoured Every. Single. Bite. Fall off the bone tender, delectable smoky flavour, huge portions (neither of us could finish) and the price? Our meal, including tax, was $38.30 plus tip. Worth every penny! :thumbsup2

We returned to the resort, and headed straight to the Fountains pool to swim off our dietary sins. After an hour or so, I commented on how wonderful I felt (fun day at the park, great food, wonderful weather, a therapeutic swim....) and Steve asked if I was up for a night time jaunt to Kissimmee.

Um, yeah, I guess. What’s in Kissimmee that you want to do?

I guess I would find out.

Well, we changed out of our swimwear and into our street clothes, hopped in the car, and headed down the 535. As soon as we made the turn onto the 192, I knew where that crazy man was headed.

That man seriously has a cast iron stomach :crazy2:. Or he’s trying to kill me with kindness. Take your pick.

He says to me.... “We had to go to Twistee Treat at least once. The kids would be so disappointed in us if we didn’t!”.

Oh. My. God. :faint:

Ah heck, I was here, I might as well eat :o.

Steve picked a peanut butter cup Twirl, I went for the brownie sundae. If I’m gonna go, I might as well go big. While I put a good dent it in, I am ashamed to admit that there was no way I could polish it off completely. There’s only so much stomach capacity that a girl has, and mine had been seriously tested today.

The cost of our night time ice cream run: $7.40 including tax.

We rolled ourselves back to the resort, and I considered a night time soak in the hot tubs at the Fountains pool.....but at the last minute, decided on warm, bubbly bath in the Jacuzzi tub instead.

We slept like rocks. And the resort was as quiet as could be :cloud9:.

Next up: a full day of characters and fun at Islands of Adventure.

We've eaten at bubbalous and enjoyed it - will put it on our October list. Never been to twistee treat but looks really fun. Whereabouts is it on 192?

So, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I've read through... all.. of your trip reports in the past three days. (In my defense, it's been really rainy outside!)

There's so much that I can't wait to add on to our next trip, now! And what a wonderful writing style! Thanks for sharing with us all :)

Travelzoo currently has the same Hash House A Go Go deal available that Gina used ... good through July 27, 2015 in case any of you are keen to give it a go-go since reading Gina's report!

You finally went to Bubba's!!!! I've been a few times....had the ribs, brisket and pulled pork. The fried pickles are really good too. We didn't go in March but I think it's a for sure for our next trip.

So much good food! The Donut Sundae is my favorite.

I've never had a Flaming Moe...is it alcohol?

Completely non alcoholic :) . Think orange soda with the most awesome presentation ever.

We've eaten at bubbalous and enjoyed it - will put it on our October list. Never been to twistee treat but looks really fun. Whereabouts is it on 192?

There are several Twistee Treats in the area. One is near the Crossroads in Lake Buena Vista. There are two on the 192 (both in the shape of ice cream cones), one near Kissimmee Go Karts and one in the opposite direction near to Arabian Nights.

So, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I've read through... all.. of your trip reports in the past three days. (In my defense, it's been really rainy outside!)

There's so much that I can't wait to add on to our next trip, now! And what a wonderful writing style! Thanks for sharing with us all :)

Thank you!! :goodvibes Glad to have you joining in!

There are so many awesome attractions, big and small, outside of the three major theme park families. Happy to hear I have given you some new ideas for next vacation!

With 7 Orlando trips now under our belt, adding new experiences to each trip is getting somewhat harder....but we're still doing it. In October, we'll be going to the World of Chocolate Museum and Cafe, as well as visiting the CSI Experience. In December, it will be Fun Spot, Wild Florida, Sea Life Aquarium, and Madame Tussauds.

Travelzoo currently has the same Hash House A Go Go deal available that Gina used ... good through July 27, 2015 in case any of you are keen to give it a go-go since reading Gina's report!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they might release another offer with usage dates into October, if this latest promotion is successful. A girl can hope!

You finally went to Bubba's!!!! I've been a few times....had the ribs, brisket and pulled pork. The fried pickles are really good too. We didn't go in March but I think it's a for sure for our next trip.

Yes, FINALLY! :teeth: Sometimes it takes us a while, but we get there eventually!

Lost my link again :(

Enjoyed catching up, the sweet treats at Universal sure look good. We saw twistee treats on the 192 last time and had put it in our list, the prices seem reasonable - especially compared to Ghiradellis.

Not sure where Conroy Rd is for Bubbas, will have to check on the map, but Bubbas looks like a good place to go.

That jacuzzi bath looks inviting, I have a picture of my dd all covered in bubbles when she was a lot younger and got in ours when we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Village resort. She thought it was so much fun!

Lost my link again :(

Enjoyed catching up, the sweet treats at Universal sure look good. We saw twistee treats on the 192 last time and had put it in our list, the prices seem reasonable - especially compared to Ghiradellis.

Not sure where Conroy Rd is for Bubbas, will have to check on the map, but Bubbas looks like a good place to go.

That jacuzzi bath looks inviting, I have a picture of my dd all covered in bubbles when she was a lot younger and got in ours when we stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Village resort. She thought it was so much fun!

Conroy is right up by the Universal parks......super easy to get to. And Twistee Treat is definitely more affordable than Ghirardellis....easily half the cost. So you'll have reason to indulge twice as often :) .

We have a jacuzzi tub at home, so using the one in our villa at the Vistana really isn't a novelty.....but its super relaxing nonetheless. I didn't have the foresight to bring any bubble bath with me though, so my soak in the tub was bubble-free. Must remember to add that to the packing list for next time!

What I wouldn't give for a Jacuzzi tub! I'm pretty sure I would turn into a big, pink raisin if I had one.. I would never get out!! I remember the night we got married and stayed at a B&B that had a Jacuzzi tub! We added a little bubble bath and the jets made the bubbles go crazy! LOL! Hubs and I were laughing because they were out of control! Hadn't thought about that in a zillion years.. :)

We saw the Twistee Treat ice cream place when we were there last.. we passed by it on the way to our condo! We ended up not stopping. We were going to but we were too stuffed or too tired or maybe both.

What I wouldn't give for a Jacuzzi tub! I'm pretty sure I would turn into a big, pink raisin if I had one.. I would never get out!! I remember the night we got married and stayed at a B&B that had a Jacuzzi tub! We added a little bubble bath and the jets made the bubbles go crazy! LOL! Hubs and I were laughing because they were out of control! Hadn't thought about that in a zillion years.. :)

We saw the Twistee Treat ice cream place when we were there last.. we passed by it on the way to our condo! We ended up not stopping. We were going to but we were too stuffed or too tired or maybe both.

When we first moved into our house, we were the same way.....everyone was clamboring for their turn for a soak in the jacuzzi tub! After a while, though, our lives got busier and busier (one of the hazards of raising an active teenager) and that tub got used less and less. Showers are so much faster. But....on a cold winter night, it is definitely lovely to turn on the in-floor heating, fill that tub and soak the achy muscles away.

When you get back to Orlando next, put Twistee Treat on your must-do if you can. Your kiddos will love it! Eat light some night and go for broke on dessert :teeth: .

Oh I love bubbalous......definitely can`t wait to get back this year!!!!

We definitely also have to get a Doh` nut Sundae........we never managed one last year......it`s on the list!!

Lovely pictures again Gina.......it`s great to see you had such lovely weather for your trip........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter