Lunch and dinner - how that works on river cruise?

JoieNsk

Mouseketeer
We have never done river cruises before. And we booked Oktoberfest Danube cruise with ABD for our wedding anniversary.

How does the dining work on the river ship?

It seems like the only dining option on the ship is a sit down dinner at certain time? Is there any other possibility to eat if we don't want to do the sit down dinner? Is there any kind or room service?

Also I have a question about lunch. It says the lunch is included. Sometimes they offer lunch on the ship, sometimes they offer lunch on your own, sometimes - both. How the lunch on your own would work - being included into the cost? Do they give you some kind of coupon you can use in the city?

Thank you very much in advance for the information!

In the past, lunch on your own meant at your own expense. Have a look at the daily itinerary - it usually says near the top which meals are included for that day and which are not. And Happy Anniversary!

In the past, lunch on your own meant at your own expense. Have a look at the daily itinerary - it usually says near the top which meals are included for that day and which are not. And Happy Anniversary!

Thank you very much!!

I checked the itinerary they have at ABD web-site, almost every day (except first and last day) it says "Meal(s) included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner".

But for example in Vienna it says:

"Choose Your Lunch Option

OPTION A: On Your Own Lunch Time in Vienna
Enjoy a delicious lunch in Vienna, taking your pick of the many small restaurants offering various types of
cuisine including traditional Viennese food. Also, visit the Naschmarkt—an open-air market that has
existed since the 16th century—and choose from a variety of fresh dishes. Ask your Adventure Guides for
recommendations.

OPTION B: Enjoy Lunch Onboard the AmaViola
Explore Vienna on your own then enjoy a delicious lunch onboard the ship."

Last edited:
No room service unless you are sick and then they'll bring your meal to you.

There were some days that we did an adventure in the morning and they bussed us back to the ship for lunch.

There were some days where we ate lunch at the adventure destination (horse farm outside Budapest).

Dinner is at a set time.

After dinner they do put snacks such as small sausages in the lounge.

We actually had very few times we had to figure out on our own what to eat, which worked out great for me because I have food allergies and liked being under the control of Ama/Disney.

No room service unless you are sick and then they'll bring your meal to you.

There were some days that we did an adventure in the morning and they bussed us back to the ship for lunch.

There were some days where we ate lunch at the adventure destination (horse farm outside Budapest).

Dinner is at a set time.

After dinner they do put snacks such as small sausages in the lounge.

We actually had very few times we had to figure out on our own what to eat, which worked out great for me because I have food allergies and liked being under the control of Ama/Disney.

You would have to pay for option A. Meals on the ship you just eat and get up and leave without paying.

Thank you very much!!

I guess what to do - I would rather prefer sometimes pay for my own lunch - but not to waste time getting back on the ship (unless the ship leaves to the next destination :) )

It's also fun to try local places for food. But we don't have food allergies, so it is not a problem for us.

I am very happy to hear that they do put some snacks to grab - even after the dinner. I am an "always hungry" type :) So my husband just asked me today in a concerned voice: "how the food on the ship is going to work? as I would not want to live under the threat of having hungry you and no food for you :)))) "

I'm pretty sure there was always *something* available to eat, even if it was cookies or something at the bar area.

You should feel free, if you don't want to go back to the ship to eat lunch, to stay in town (as long as the ship isn't leaving port!) You might have to get yourself back to the ship afterwards, depends on the port. They'll always explain those options to you beforehand.

I'm pretty sure there was always *something* available to eat, even if it was cookies or something at the bar area.

You should feel free, if you don't want to go back to the ship to eat lunch, to stay in town (as long as the ship isn't leaving port!) You might have to get yourself back to the ship afterwards, depends on the port. They'll always explain those options to you beforehand.

Thank you very much!!

My husband sure would feel relieved :)))

I am very happy to hear that they do put some snacks to grab - even after the dinner. I am an "always hungry" type :) So my husband just asked me today in a concerned voice: "how the food on the ship is going to work? as I would not want to live under the threat of having hungry you and no food for you :)))) "

This was a huge concern for me before the cruise. I was worried about being starving late at night because I'm a night owl. I brought all kinds of snacks in my suitcase and barely touched them. The dinners were substantial enough and with dessert added on top I was a happy camper. It was fun to go see what the late night snacks were and grab some hot chocolate.

This was a huge concern for me before the cruise. I was worried about being starving late at night because I'm a night owl. I brought all kinds of snacks in my suitcase and barely touched them. The dinners were substantial enough and with dessert added on top I was a happy camper. It was fun to go see what the late night snacks were and grab some hot chocolate.

I was thinking too that I would need to pack some snacks with me :))) I am glad to hear that I don't have to worry about it :)

We did this cruise and found there weren't a lot of snacks available, but I'd say we were usually looking for something in the late afternoon between lunch and dinner. But....there were grocery or convenience stores near the ship at almost every stop, so we'd just pick up some snacks and soda/beer to keep on the ship.

At the Vienna stop, the ship was not walking distance to where you'd want to be for sightseeing but they had buses running back and forth. It was very convenient to go back for lunch and take a short break and then go back out for more sightseeing.

Have fun - it was a great cruise!

We did this cruise and found there weren't a lot of snacks available, but I'd say we were usually looking for something in the late afternoon between lunch and dinner. But....there were grocery or convenience stores near the ship at almost every stop, so we'd just pick up some snacks and soda/beer to keep on the ship.

At the Vienna stop, the ship was not walking distance to where you'd want to be for sightseeing but they had buses running back and forth. It was very convenient to go back for lunch and take a short break and then go back out for more sightseeing.

Have fun - it was a great cruise!

Thank you very much!

I am sure it is going to be great - I am already looking forward to it! I read couple reports - and it sounds like it is going to be so much fun!

We usually prefer itineraries more relaxed, not filled with so many activities. So I am already thinking of what we could possibly skip - so we could just slow down and soak it in.

But we are doing a week in Germany on our own - before the cruise, and one day in Budapest after it. So we will do things at our own pace there. And will try to use the advantages of having well organized and interesting activities with ABD - during the cruise.

Thank you very much!

I am sure it is going to be great - I am already looking forward to it! I read couple reports - and it sounds like it is going to be so much fun!

We usually prefer itineraries more relaxed, not filled with so many activities. So I am already thinking of what we could possibly skip - so we could just slow down and soak it in.

But we are doing a week in Germany on our own - before the cruise, and one day in Budapest after it. So we will do things at our own pace there. And will try to use the advantages of having well organized and interesting activities with ABD - during the cruise.

If you are booking your Hotels in Germany ...... Book a Half Board ( 1/2 ) stay

This is Dinner + Bed + Breakfast ....... sometimes afternoon tea ....... NO LUNCH

If you are booking your Hotels in Germany ...... Book a Half Board ( 1/2 ) stay

This is Dinner + Bed + Breakfast ....... sometimes afternoon tea ....... NO LUNCH

Thank you for the advice.

But may I ask why do you find it important to book a Half Board? Is there anything special about Germany?

I would not mind to have breakfast. But I usually don't like to be locked into having dinner in the hotel. Who knows if our plans change, or we just would like to eat somewhere else etc.

As of right now we have two nights booked in Schwangau Area - with the breakfast. And the other days are in two different Hiltons in Munich - just rate for points, with no breakfast included into the rate (I am getting breakfast included for my status with Hilton anyways)

Last edited:
What kind of drinks are available at meals? Is there a location on board to get something to drink during non meal times? Is there soda available?

On DCL I love the 24 hour soda stations on board those ships. I'm sure these ships for the river cruises don't have that, but I'm curious if I'll be able to get my Diet Coke. :)

Last edited:
What kind of drinks are available at meals? Is there a location on board to get something to drink during non meal times? Is there soda available?

Beer, wine, and soft drinks at dinner I believe (I only did the soft drinks).

There is a bar in the lounge and they have water dispensers in the lounge as well as a coffee maker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter