• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands At Aulani?

Can anyone confirm who has been recently do I need to have the magic band all set up in the WDW app before arriving to Aulani?. Last time I used a magic band was 2014 at WDW so I am a little behind the power curve on this new fangiled technology.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm who has been recently do I need to have the magic band all set up in the WDW app before arriving to Aulani?. Last time I used a magic band was 2014 at WDW so I am a little behind the power curve on this new fangiled technology.
Yes, it should be set up in the WDW app. At least mine was, and it worked.

I had my four magic bands set up last time we were at Walt Disney world for my January of 2020. Two days after checking into Aulani I pulled them out and they worked flawlessly for opening the door. Apparently as long as your reservation is linked to your account they will work.

I had my four magic bands set up last time we were at Walt Disney world for my January of 2020. Two days after checking into Aulani I pulled them out and they worked flawlessly for opening the door. Apparently as long as your reservation is linked to your account they will work.
I am getting brand new magic bands from shopdisney so wasn’t sure if I could just show up with them to Aulani and have them link them or if I had to do it beforehand in MDE?

Does anyone know can you link a separate credit card to someone in your groups magic band? We are on the same reservation the other person doesn’t have MDE so I am managing their profile for them.

Does anyone know can you link a separate credit card to someone in your groups magic band? We are on the same reservation the other person doesn’t have MDE so I am managing their profile for them.
No, cards don't link to bands, they link to people.

Band ----> Person <---- Credit Card

Even if the person had their own My Disney Experience profile, the success/failure rate of trying to use multiple credit cards on a single room reservation isn't great.

No, cards don't link to bands, they link to people.

Band ----> Person <---- Credit Card

Even if the person had their own My Disney Experience profile, the success/failure rate of trying to use multiple credit cards on a single room reservation isn't great.
Gotcha. Thanks for answering that.

I see posts that the MagicBand2 work but do the MagicBand+ also work? anyone have any experience with MagicBand+ at Aulani?

Hadn’t really thought about this. So steps in order should be make sure MagicBand is set up in WDW app, then make sure reservation is linked in the Aulani site/app, then link it in My Disney Experience section of app?

Hadn’t really thought about this. So steps in order should be make sure MagicBand is set up in WDW app, then make sure reservation is linked in the Aulani site/app, then link it in My Disney Experience section of app?
Just the first two.

Make sure you use the same email address for everything, including DVC if you're a member booking with points.

Just the first two.

Make sure you use the same email address for everything, including DVC if you're a member booking with points.
One thing to add on this. We had everything linked up and none of our bands worked last year, but the more I think about it, we had a 2 bedroom with 6 people staying in it. 2 of the people in the room did not have MDE accounts (we just had them on the reservation), but the other 4 all had bands. When linked at DisneyAulani.com, it just shows generic accounts for those folks (with no avatar, etc.), so they didn't have bands. I wonder if that affected the rest of the room.

Of course, that said (and this was last May), when I went to the front desk to ask about it, they just adamantly insisted that they didn't work at Aulani (even though numerous folks here were able to get them to work...). It was all very frustrating, but we just made due with the cards...

One thing to add on this. We had everything linked up and none of our bands worked last year, but the more I think about it, we had a 2 bedroom with 6 people staying in it. 2 of the people in the room did not have MDE accounts (we just had them on the reservation), but the other 4 all had bands. When linked at DisneyAulani.com, it just shows generic accounts for those folks (with no avatar, etc.), so they didn't have bands. I wonder if that affected the rest of the room.

Of course, that said (and this was last May), when I went to the front desk to ask about it, they just adamantly insisted that they didn't work at Aulani (even though numerous folks here were able to get them to work...). It was all very frustrating, but we just made due with the cards...
It’s a new day at the resort re magic bands. All cast members are familiar with them, the front desk will help you set them up if necessary, and they do work everywhere. We were there last May as well and they didn’t work for us either, but now they do.

It’s a new day at the resort re magic bands. All cast members are familiar with them, the front desk will help you set them up if necessary, and they do work everywhere. We were there last May as well and they didn’t work for us either, but now they do.
Really good to know! We will be back in June and will bring them again.

I love DVC for the fact that this will be our 6th trip to Aulani. No way we'd have ever done that otherwise, however, with the pricing and other changes at the parks nowadays, we find it to be more economical to go to Hawaii (never thought I'd say that before...), stay in a 2-bedroom and hit up Costco for all you need and have a great week! I read a lot of posts from people about how the economics just don't work at Aulani if you want a Hawaii trip (and they probably don't), but it's a completely different equation for DVC folks...

Really good to know! We will be back in June and will bring them again.

I love DVC for the fact that this will be our 6th trip to Aulani. No way we'd have ever done that otherwise, however, with the pricing and other changes at the parks nowadays, we find it to be more economical to go to Hawaii (never thought I'd say that before...), stay in a 2-bedroom and hit up Costco for all you need and have a great week! I read a lot of posts from people about how the economics just don't work at Aulani if you want a Hawaii trip (and they probably don't), but it's a completely different equation for DVC folks...
True for my wife and I as well. Wouldn't be flying off to Aulani anywhere near as frequently were it not for DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter