Magic Bands

jltdone

Mouseketeer
I totally understand that there are no magic bands except for the kids at aunty's kids club. Do you ever think they will switch that over to magic bands. So instead of your room key you could press your magic band to gain access to the pool area like beach club.
That would be awesome then you can everything linked to your band and not have to carry around anything.

My understanding is that Disney has already surveyed guests about their interest in purchasing and using Magic Bands at the resort. So it may happen.

John Magi stated on a Dreams Unlimited podcast last month that Aulani told him that magic bands are definitely coming soon. He was told that the process of implementing them started in September of last year and will likely finish up this year.

It's possible that some of the pool refurbishment that just started involves installing magic band scanners in certain locations, but that's just speculation on my part.

Last edited:
After our trip in April I was emailed a survey with numerous questions about magic bands, mainly asking how much we would be willing to pay for them and many questions about using bands to get into rooms. I also suspect they will be adding an App soon where you can look up character M&G times and locations based on the questions asked.

John Magi stated on a Dreams Unlimited podcast last month that Aulani told him that magic bands are definitely coming soon. He was told that the process of implementing them started in September of last year and will likely finish up this year.

It's possible that some of the pool refurbishment that just started involves installing magic band scanners in certain locations, but that's just speculation on my part.
Thank you Im listening to the podcast as I type this.
Have a great day.
Jay

So instead of your room key you could press your magic band to gain access to the pool area like beach club.
That would be awesome then you can everything linked to your band and not have to carry around anything.

The pools aren’t actually “locked” away - all pool areas are open to everyone as they walk through the resort. The only “gates” are entering the resort from the lagoon area and these are pretty much open at all times. The bands that are currently used at Aulani as a visual guide for the CMs to gauge who is a guest and who is potentially someone who has strolled in from the street / beach. There is no physical way they can lock the pool areas away - there is not enough room to place a fence around the water areas.

Your room key is basically your magic band at Aulani - you can link charging privileges to it, which we do for my husband and I or leave it solely as a room key which we did for our eldest kid on previous visits.

Do you ever think they will switch that over to magic bands.
I hope not. Why would I want a MB when my room key does all of that. Its not really hard to open my door or charge something with the current room keys.
My understanding is that Disney has already surveyed guests about their interest in purchasing and using Magic Bands at the resort. So it may happen.
Wonder if they would go with the MB's even if people said they weren't interested.
I'm not sure just what else is needed for them to roll out MB's. Things pretty much work the same way now using room keys for touch points.
The pools aren’t actually “locked” away - all pool areas are open to everyone as they walk through the resort. The only “gates” are entering the resort from the lagoon area and these are pretty much open at all times.
Exactly. The only thing I can recall needing a room key for is to actually get into the room or to charge something to the room. There really isn't much sense in having a MB at Aulani.

hope not. Why would I want a MB when my room key does all of that. Its not really hard to open my door or charge something with the current room keys.
This is just me, I like magic bands. When we stayed at WDW it was nice to know everything I need is on my wrist. Now if I have a room key where do I put it when Im swimming my bathing suit doesn't have pockets, my wife's bikini doesn't have pockets. I guess I can put it in my beach bag but me knowing my room key is just sitting somewhere kinda makes me a little nervous especially if we go to the beach which is a public beach. This is just me.

This is just me, I like magic bands. When we stayed at WDW it was nice to know everything I need is on my wrist. Now if I have a room key where do I put it when Im swimming my bathing suit doesn't have pockets, my wife's bikini doesn't have pockets. I guess I can put it in my beach bag but me knowing my room key is just sitting somewhere kinda makes me a little nervous especially if we go to the beach which is a public beach. This is just me.

Agree--this is my reason for liking magic bands instead of keys. I want to have something that's physically on my body at all times. When keys are linked to credit cards for charging, if you leave your key in a pool bag on a chair, it's just like leaving your credit card sitting there. I don't want to have to wear a waterproof lanyard around my neck.

When keys are linked to credit cards for charging, if you leave your key in a pool bag on a chair, it's just like leaving your credit card sitting there.
only if the thief also knows your pin code

The real reason Aulani is moving to MBs is so that your wallet is basically on your person at all times. People won't pass up a snack, beer, or whatever because they don't have their card with them. I remember going to the restroom from the pool and thinking "should have brought my card so I could get a shave ice!" - no problem with that if you can pay with your wrist!

The real reason Aulani is moving to MBs is so that your wallet is basically on your person at all times. People won't pass up a snack, beer, or whatever because they don't have their card with them. I remember going to the restroom from the pool and thinking "should have brought my card so I could get a shave ice!" - no problem with that if you can pay with your wrist!

That, and the chance to upsell fancy magic bands as another easy revenue stream :P

I do like the convenience of the magic bands. Especially as jkltdone has said, I worry about leaving my room key when I am in the water. A lot of woman's beach wear do not have pockets and I do not like to carry valuables around with me. Having a magic band makes sense at Aulani. I really don't see a downside other then if you don't like anything on your wrist.

I worry about leaving my room key when I am in the water.

Your room key is no good to someone unless they have your pin number. So you wouldn't have to worry about fraud or anything like that. But, it does make it inconvenient to have to go to the front desk to get a new one if you lose it.

Your room key is no good to someone unless they have your pin number. So you wouldn't have to worry about fraud or anything like that. But, it does make it inconvenient to have to go to the front desk to get a new one if you lose it.

Or they saw what room you came out of and are cleaning you out while you are at the beach. Although this scenario is not common, it is not impossible either. I am a woman that travels solo a lot, so I think of all of my safety and security options even if something is not "likely" to happen, I don't want to take the risk.

Or they saw what room you came out of and are cleaning you out while you are at the beach. Although this scenario is not common, it is not impossible either. I am a woman that travels solo a lot, so I think of all of my safety and security options even if something is not "likely" to happen, I don't want to take the risk.

This would mean someone who has access to the resort would need to find you exiting the room, follow you to the beach, and then wait in the wings for you to leave your bag unattended so they could get your key card. I've not heard of reports of anything like this happening at Aulani or even in Ko Olina, but I guess anything is possible. Most of the theft in the area are crimes of opportunity. But regardless, I do agree its best to take all precautions to make yourself feel comfortable as a solo traveler.

That is the 1st thing that went through my mind as well. Someone could be at the end of the hall see what room you are leaving from. Walk to the pool keeping you or your party in view see you put your bag down and walk over and take your room key go up to your room empty it all while you are swimming.
Doubt that it would happen but could happen very easy.
It is sad that one thinks like this to protect themselves and your family.

That is the 1st thing that went through my mind as well. Someone could be at the end of the hall see what room you are leaving from. Walk to the pool keeping you or your party in view see you put your bag down and walk over and take your room key go up to your room empty it all while you are swimming.
Doubt that it would happen but could happen very easy.
It is sad that one thinks like this to protect themselves and your family.

Most crimes are one of opportunity. Thieves keep their eyes open and take advantage when they see it.

I like the idea of my kids having MBs on if I leave them at Aunty's. We all know Disney tracks us, so why not track the kids?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter