Magic of the Baltic cruise add-ons Meets thread

So I just called ABD about the Baltics Add-on itinerary, and the lady I spoke with was AWESOME. She went through the more detailed itinerary she has with me to compare with what I was seeing the website. The bad news for me is that although subject to change, the itinerary is mostly in place and there aren't any big activities missing as surprises (with the exception of the Abba museum that has already been mentioned). I was really hoping for an RIB boat or horseback riding or other outdoor activity somewhere in there, but this itinerary is more "relaxed" with mostly museums, city tours, and palaces. When I mentioned that there were no VIP type aspects mentioned as there are in typical ABD itineraries and that it seemed like just a bunch of port adventures put together she didn't disagree. (I have more to say about this in a post I'll put up soon). I mentioned some of the cool exclusives that are being offered as port adventures (like the backstage tour of Tivoli) and she said ABD isn't doing anything like that :(

Regarding St. Petersburg: She is not showing an evening canal boat ride for either the 7 or 12 night ABD on her itinerary. She said there is an early canal boat ride of the 12 night but there is nothing on her itinerary after the afternoon visit to the Hermitage. In other words, no scheduled activity on the night even though we spend the night in St. Petersburg. She couldn't explain the website discrepancy for the 7 night and agreed it might be an update but it's not what her stuff shows.

If an evening activity is important to you, I'd follow up in a few weeks to see if all of the materials have been updated or if it is a mistake.

I was also curious about the day in Helsinki since on the "highlights" page for the 12 day it talks about the rock church, but no mention of it is made in the itinerary (in contrast to the 7 day which has a whole bit about it in their itinerary). She said the 12 day group does stop there.

I spoke to ABD this morning about the itinerary, and the person I spoke to said there could be some surprises, but that the big activities are noted. I did ask if some of the "signature" experiences noted in Disney Cruise port adventures are included, and ABD will get back to me on that. I also asked if there was a later pick-up from Tivoli gardens (since we'll be spending the night in Copenhagen) since I'm sure I won't be able to get my kids away from there!

I'm fine with tours that are more focused on palaces, museums, city tours. The one thing I'm bummed about is that there isn't an evening activity planned for St. Petersburg. I think they really should have added the ballet, and the backstage meet and greet. ABD - if you're reading this, please add this activity!! For the price of the cruise add-on, it seems like something like this should have been added.

That said, I'm going to keep my reservation since I still love the idea of being the first off the ship and having all the transportation/local tour guides included, and multiple activities each day. I downgraded my onboard room to an Oceanview (from verandah) and got some pretty hefty savings since I knew I wanted to try an ABD add-on.

The other items (outside of the port adventures) that are included are: case of bottled water, CD of photos onboard, and digital access to ABD photos. Those are nice touches. :)

Thanks so much for following up--I'm glad to hear they have kept some of the things like the photo CD, & water. Many of the other "extras" have been whittled away (Palo, ship gratuities, etc). I would LOVE to hear if they have any "signature" type of experiences planned. Those were definitely not coming through in the written materials and the person I spoke to wasn't away of any. The person who writes the Port Adventures for Disney does a much better job than the ABD add-on person, LOL!

I keep going back and forth. The adventure guides are always so great, and I love the idea of a small group experience--not to mention first on/last off the ship ease--but the lack of "cool" factor or signature experiences really bums me. When Port Adventures sound way better than the ABD itinerary, they aren't doing something right (here are a couple examples: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/c...ckholm-sweden/rib-boat-adventure-grinda-vasa/ & http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/c...usive-behind-the-scenes-and-taste-of-denmark/ I'm also bummed about no nighttime activity in St. Petersburg (we are there overnight). I was hoping they would have Russian folk dancers or ballet or something cultural, which is also missing from the ABD itinerary. Those could be surprises, but I want to know ahead of time. I guess I have to figure out how much of the premium the small group experience is worth, and how much the "missed opportunity" factors in (i.e. cooler sounding port adventures). What bums me most about the Add-on itinerary is the lack of imagination--it's all basic port adventures they've done before (and not the cooler ones at that!).

My husband and I will be traveling on the July 13th Baltic Cruise and have booked the ABD. We will be on the 7 day Norway Cruise the week before...I am wondering if anyone has heard whether ABD are considering offering something for that cruise as well. We would love it!

Can't wait to meet everyone traveling with us...we are so excited!!

:cool1:

My husband and I will be traveling on the July 13th Baltic Cruise and have booked the ABD. We will be on the 7 day Norway Cruise the week before...I am wondering if anyone has heard whether ABD are considering offering something for that cruise as well. We would love it!

Can't wait to meet everyone traveling with us...we are so excited!!

:cool1:
I've added you to the Roll Call on the first page of this thread. I haven't heard anything about an add-on for the Norway cruise. I know there were some people disappointed by that.

Sayhello

My travel agent received an updated PDF brochure for the add-ons for the 12-night Baltics cruises, and there are some really good additions, in my opinion. It answered one of my questions, in that there is now an evening activity in St. Petersburg (a canal ride). Also in St. Petersburg, it confirms that the visit to Catherine's Palace includes the Amber Room, which is different than the new amber workshop activity noted below. Here are the descriptions of the new activities. I still need to verify that nothing from the original description was eliminated, but I don't think so.

Berlin:

Graffiti Experience and Workshop with Local Artist -- Join a local artist and learn more about the street art scene, about its different styles whilst stopping at famous art works along the streets. The hip music club Humboldthain will be the location for your private event where you get to create your own personalized graffiti painting!

Stockholm:

Visit the Östermalmstorg Food Market -- Stroll through the unique Östermalmshallen indoor food market. Enjoy traditional Swedish delicacies and immerse yourself in the culture that surrounds you. Be sure to try the classic Swedish fare husmanskost'!

Helsinki:

Lunch at Bosgård Organic Farm -- Savor BBQ Charolais beef, a Porvoo specialty, at this working farm raising free-range cattle. Tour the farm and its surrounding nature trails, where you'll see the animals grazing and learn about Bosgård's sustainable approach. Then watch as your lunch is prepared in a BBQ smoker! Bosgård also features organic cold-smoked salmon.

St. Petersburg:

Sightseeing Evening Boat -- Float along the rivers and canals of St. Petersburg and see the historic city glittering with lights. Listen as your guide provides the story behind the spectacular sights as you sip on beverages and enjoy live entertainment.

Exclusive Visit to The Amber Workshop -- Founded in 1979, The Amber Workshop is most famous for the recreation of the Amber Room for the Catherine Palace. Guests will go on a private visit to The Amber Workshop where they will learn about craftsmanship with amber as well as the unique technique and modern technologies that allow masters to restore and create such masterpieces.

Tallinn:

Meet a Historical Character -- Encounter the famous guardian of Tallin, Old Thomas. Hear legends of the warrior and see some of the techniques he used to protect the city. After you've learned from the master, take a shot yourself, as you practice fighting with medieval weaponry such as crossbows, catapults, and soft swords. Watch as a battle takes place right in front of your eyes between a medieval thief and the police.

I agree Calfan, some really great additions--so glad to see that the itinerary is being filled out a little! I was really hoping the itinerary as initially issued was a work-in-progress, and it looks like that is the case. Funny how the ABD person I spoke to a few days ago had a completely different itinerary. When I called back to ask a few more specific questions, the next agent I spoke to said it may take a few days to get back to me--they had to sent the questions "to California." It sounds like there is a bit of a disconnect. Love the evening entertainment and the amber room in St. Petersburg--those were two of the things I was hoping for. The graffiti activity strikes me as the same kind of thing as the weaving we did in Scotland--something I wasn't necessarily looking forward to but which ended up being really fun.

Thanks for posting! I'm feeling much better about this now :)

I compared the new brochure for the 12-night Baltics add-on to the one originally published, and it looks like the only things that are no longer in the itinerary are the specific reference to seeing the remaining section of the Berlin Wall and on your own time in Berlin. I suspect the Berlin Wall will be incorporated into our city tour of Berlin and visit to Checkpoint Charlie. My DH, who has been to Berlin, says it isn't much in case it has just been eliminated, but I would definitely like to see it. I was also hoping to visit the Reichstag during on our own time but I'm hoping we will end up seeing that on the city tour as well. In general, I am not a big fan of on your own time on ABDs, so I am not sorry to see this eliminated. Also when comparing, I also noticed that in the description of the visit to Peterhof Palace it now states that we travel back to St. Petersburg by private hydrofoil across the Gulf of Finland, which sounds very cool. Finally, through some questions CaliforniaGirl09 posed to ABD regarding the add-on, we found out that the Helsinki day now includes Porvoo, which I am very happy to see. Here is the description that was provided:

…including a visit and tour of the Old Town of Porvoo before the lunch and farm visit. Upon arrival in Porvoo, Guests will stop at the Old Bridge for a photo stop at one of the most photographed views in Finland: the Old Town of Porvoo with a decorative row of red riverside storehouses. A Guide will then take Guests by foot through the Old Town of Porvoo and its idyllic little
houses and narrow winding streets. The tour will conclude with on your
own time for shopping and exploring. After the lunch and farm visit, we
will have a stop at Senate Square and the Temppeliaukio Rock Church.

Hi Everyone! We are booked on the June 13, 7 night trip. I don't see pricing on ABD website. Does anyone know the cost? Also do you know if it's sold out? Thanks!

Quick question for those that are doing the Baltic Cruise ABD Add On or have done a cruise add on previously....we are paid in full and I went into our reservation and noticed that there is no link to book any activities....if we are doing the add on, are we not able to book Palo brunch or Palo dinner?

Quick question for those that are doing the Baltic Cruise ABD Add On or have done a cruise add on previously....we are paid in full and I went into our reservation and noticed that there is no link to book any activities....if we are doing the add on, are we not able to book Palo brunch or Palo dinner?
Well, I did my cruise add-on 4 years ago, but I was totally able to book Palo brunch and dinner. Are you sure your booking window has opened?

Sayhello

Thanks...Our booking window hasn't opened yet, but we have also paid off the cruise after this one and the link is there with the booking date. I will call ABD tomorrow to inquire.

Thanks...Our booking window hasn't opened yet, but we have also paid off the cruise after this one and the link is there with the booking date. I will call ABD tomorrow to inquire.
I don't think ABD will be able to help you. You'll need to call DCL.

Sayhello

Keep us posted on what you hear. I hope it's not a glitch! We definitely want to be able to book palo and maybe even an excursion (May miss one abd activity).

I called DCL this morning....they said that I should be able to book Palo/Spa/etc and that having the ABD add on should not prevent me from doing this...CM checked with a supervisor and they said the link should appear when my booking window opens...if it doesn't then I should call them. I have heard from someone who is also on the June 13 cruise but is not doing the ABD add on...and they also do not have the link/tab on their reservation. So I'm guessing it is a computer glitch or something.

Hi everyone!
I'm delighted to say that I am going to be joining the 6/13 ABD cruise add on
This will be the 2nd part of a B2B, the first cruise will be my husband and I, but when he has to head back to England for work on the 13th, I am staying on the ship!
This will be my 8th cruise with DCL but my first ABD and my first B2B
Excited and slightly nervous as this was a pretty last minute decision
Look forward to chatting and planning with you all
Lx

Hi everyone!
I'm delighted to say that I am going to be joining the 6/13 ABD cruise add on
This will be the 2nd part of a B2B, the first cruise will be my husband and I, but when he has to head back to England for work on the 13th, I am staying on the ship!
This will be my 8th cruise with DCL but my first ABD and my first B2B
Excited and slightly nervous as this was a pretty last minute decision
Look forward to chatting and planning with you all
Lx
Congratulations! You'll find the ABD add-on a great way to do a cruise, especially if you're traveling solo! The continuity of the other ABDers makes for a very fun time!

I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread.

Sayhello

Congratulations! You'll find the ABD add-on a great way to do a cruise, especially if you're traveling solo! The continuity of the other ABDers makes for a very fun time!

I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread.

Sayhello

That's great to hear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter