Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bummed too about ME, but only because it was a "magical" way to start the trip.

We get our own luggage at Disney anyways, so won't miss that. And everywhere else we vacation we need to get our luggage and get transportation to destination...it's just traveling.

We use (well, pre-covid) Uber/Lyft all the time at home. Using it at Disney will be just fine, at least for us.

I do miss being able to check our bags at the hotel for flight home. Disney is behind industry standards until they bring that back.

I'm bummed too about ME, but only because it was a "magical" way to start the trip.

We get our own luggage at Disney anyways, so won't miss that. And everywhere else we vacation we need to get our luggage and get transportation to destination...it's just traveling.

We use (well, pre-covid) Uber/Lyft all the time at home. Using it at Disney will be just fine, at least for us.

Yeah, I think for some people it won’t make a huge difference. It won’t be much different than flying anywhere else.

I have flown with my kids who are 6 and 4 now all over the place since they were born, but Magical Express made Disney just so easy with little ones. Baggage claim and car rentals are tricky when you’re managing stroller, car seats necessary for car rental, all the luggage, plus the kids who may or may not be able to walk yet, are too young to walk independently, etc.

Magical Express just took care of so many normal travel things that cause headaches when you’re traveling with little ones. Now my kids are a little older and it’ll be easier. But when they were really little (toddlers/babies/etc.), DME was really a lifesaver. Our Disney trips were by far the easiest airplane trips we took with the kids thanks to DME.

I would also imagine as they did their budget for next fiscal year, the cost of providing ME to the few of us that are actually booking the resorts that are open for the rest of 2021 just didn't make financial sense for 2022.

Costs/budget for next year are most definitely already affected by projected bookings, etc., from this year.

This really doesn't make sense to me. Hotels always offer transportation services. I plan on driving for my next trip anyway, but this is a pretty big blow. If I were flying, I wouldn't know how to get three kids that need boosters/car sets to the parks now. Just another thing to book and price out now.

That being said, the biggest perk for me of staying on property was always the bus transportation to and from the parks. I have zero desire to pack in a car and drive back to a hotel on my own after a long day in the parks. That bus ride is a rite of passage lol.

However those offsite offers for rooms that can fit 6 people are looking rather interesting. Art of Animation is $500ish a night. That offer Rebo pointed out? That's a lot of money.

I'm willing to bet a bunch of money that Disney will offer some kind of service for airport travel eventually.

Can I ask why everyone who uses ME would go straight to renting a car? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just take an Uber or book a car for trip to/from hotel and then use Disney transportation as you normally would?

I truly don't know as I've never rented a car.

I do miss being able to check our bags at the hotel for flight home. Disney is behind industry standards until they bring that back.

I think that is why this is a bummer for many of us to hear - even if we didn't use it often personally. It makes Walt Disney World just more like "everywhere else" rather than being different / "magical"

We don't have ride sharing where I live so not as used to it - I use it some when traveling for work but would struggle to use it when traveling with the kids (though at least we only need two car seats/boosters now instead of 3)

I get for some people this doesn't matter or doesn't take away from why they stay on property - but I can't imagine thing motivating anyone to now want to stay on property even more, so is a negative in aggregate for that factor ... just Disney must have felt the cost savings of not having this (at least in its current form) will more than offset any revenue lost

Can I ask why everyone who uses ME would go straight to renting a car? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just take an Uber or book a car for trip to/from hotel and then use Disney transportation as you normally would?

I wouldn't rent a car, just because I'd have to rent a car to fit 6 people including 3 kids that are currently 3 5 and 7. A minivan or SUV would probably run you between 200-400 a week plus gas and parking fees. Getting car service would most likely be cheaper.

The biggest thing about MDE was just getting off a plane and walking up to the bus. Easy peezy. Now it's just like normal travel.

But see, that's exactly why I feel so upset by this change.

This is not supposed to be like everywhere else we vacation.

This is absolutely valid. I was planning a trip to D.C. (pre-Covid and it got canceled) and was getting so stressed about transportation that I freaked and explained to my husband that this is why I prefer going to Disney. They make it so easy.

Personally I do not feel comfortable using rideshare services. If my choices are between renting a car and taking an Uber I would rent a car.

The other option would be booking a car service. Depending on how many people we are traveling with or if we are bringing our golf clubs, we may need multiple cars, or a huge rental van.

We have to take a booster seat, we have one kid - if you have multiple kids - multiple car seats etc - that may also limit rideshare options to a more cost prohibitive XL where a rental car makes more sense.

I think it will push some, not all, the ME guests to rent a car. As for what %, I don't have a clue, but am sure it's >0. There will be some guests that will always want the flexibility of a rental car; I just get the sense this could be a tipping point for those on that flexibility edge.

At least for us with having 3 children that still use a car seat/booster (though the 11 year old is getting close to not needing one) it is a challenge to use a car service or rental car. You are much more limited in option that will provide that many, or you have to bring your own and then store them in your hotel room, etc

But see, that's exactly why I feel so upset by this change.

This is not supposed to be like everywhere else we vacation.
I think that is why this is a bummer for many of us to hear - even if we didn't use it often personally. It makes Walt Disney World just more like "everywhere else" rather than being different / "magical"

We don't have ride sharing where I live so not as used to it - I use it some when traveling for work but would struggle to use it when traveling with the kids (though at least we only need two car seats/boosters now instead of 3)

I get for some people this doesn't matter or doesn't take away from why they stay on property - but I can't imagine thing motivating anyone to now want to stay on property even more, so is a negative in aggregate for that factor ... just Disney must have felt the cost savings of not having this (at least in its current form) will more than offset any revenue lost

Well the magic is different for everyone!

For us it was nice, but the vacation itself will still be different than our other vacations. It will just have to start when we pass under the sign rather than when we get on the bus. :)

So much has been lost during this pandemic, I just think of this as one more thing. I truly do think this is due to the lost of revenue, nothing else.

This place has become a joke , 3 yrs ago I blew 8000 taking family and parents , father fell and couldn’t even get help to get him up until I became nasty following year I took two cruises , one with family , one with wife for a total 6000. I understand people value money and vacations differently, but wdw is becoming a bloated punchline that is forgetting the fabric that which it is made.

Well the magic is different for everyone!

For us it was nice, but the vacation itself will still be different than our other vacations. It will just have to start when we pass under the sign rather than when we get on the bus. :)

So much has been lost during this pandemic, I just think of this as one more thing. I truly do think this is due to the lost of revenue, nothing else.

I agree, but as I said, I can't imagine this change makes things *more* magical for anyone. For some it makes no difference and for others it is a huge negative .... So in aggregate it is a net loss of "Magic"

And for what Disney charges - should be more magic not less

I agree, but as I said, I can't imagine this change makes things *more* magical for anyone. For some it makes no difference and for others it is a huge negative .... So in aggregate it is a net loss of "Magic"

And for what Disney charges - should be more magic not less

I'm not debating that.

I'm just giving another viewpoint on how some travelers may feel about it. Me saying that we are bummed, but we'll still find a way does not negate other people's feelings about it.

From a purely cost perspective and for those who are able to use Uber - this morning if you were to take Uber to Jambo House (first hotel that popped up!)

regular that seats 3 people - about $32 one way
One that seats 6 people - about $47 one way
Comfort ? - about $38 one way

$10 extra for requested car seat, which you do on app.

I know it's not ideal for everyone, but thought seeing the prices may help. Of course they could go up by 2022, but they won't be at surge price all the time like everyone is guessing.

Now renting a car service for drop off/pick up, that's pricey! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter