Magical Moments Pins - Do They Still Work?

This is for park visitors of the future who found this thread in a search: These pins do indeed still work, but the only places I noticed that were still working were:

El Río Del Tiempo / Grand Fiesta Tour @ EPCOT towards the end, in the large fireworks room (1/22 confirmation and video added)

It’s A Small World @ MK in the giant blue unity room, final room where all the nationalities are together before saying “goodbye” to guests. (2/22 confirmation and video added.)

Pirates of the Carribean @ MK, right before the drop off and inappropriately throughout the cannon scene. (It’s a very dark ride, and you’re sharing a boat with others. Had to cover it up, to avoid distracting from the moment) (1/19 confirmation) (2/22 did not activate. Transmitter may have been damaged or removed)

Haunted Mansion @ MK - At the very end, all LEDs blink in unison, simulating a heart beat. (1/19 added) (2/22 did not activate. Transmitter may have been damaged or removed)

Dinosaur @ AK after you return back to the present. (1/19 added) (2/22 did not activate. Transmitter may have been damaged or removed)

Not bad for a forgotten 21yo feature.

Rides previously known to go off, but did not ride:

Tower of Terror @ MGM/DHS

Maelstrom @ EPCOT was also known to set it off, but it was closed still, and probably won't ever work with the new Frozen Ride. Dream Builders of 2016 will probably find the infrared transmitters, be all confused about what on earth that is for, and get rid of it. (1/17 and 1/19 Update - No longer works with ride)

Spectromagic parade @ MK has been disassembled and turned into collectable LE pins, so it did not go of, since they reintroduced the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Did not notice it during:

Space Mountain @ MK (1/19 Update - finally rode it. I was jerked around so much that it was lighting up throughout the ride, but whenever I checked, it lit up in the same fashion as if you had pressed the button yourself, so I could not confirm)

Peter Pan's Flight @ MK - (supposedly only lights up the white bulb, so even though I was holding my bag, I might've not noticed whether it did anything or not) (1/17 Update - Batteries were too low to determine) (1/19 Update - Ride was closed for refurbishment)

Pretty sure there were more. I will edit this list as I find them

Last edited:
This is for park visitors of the future who found this thread in a search: These pins do indeed still work, but the only places I noticed that were still working were during El Río Del Tiempo / Grand Fiesta Tour at EPCOT and right after the drop off during Pirates of the Carribean at MK. Not bad for a forgotten 15yo feature.

What are these pins? They sound neat - even if from 15 years ago. :)

What are these pins? They sound neat - even if from 15 years ago. :)

Pirates-DS-Pins-web.jpg

100 Years of Magic
http://allears.net/tp/100years1.htm

This celebration commemorated the birth of Walt Disney, which would have been 100 years ago, if you were at the parks back in 2001. The beloved Sorcerer's Hat at DHS was built for this celebration, and I can only assumed wasn't intended to stay for the 13-14 years that it did. The link provides information about the celebration during that time, and the pins are mentioned in the second part.

There were originally 5 pins released in the "100 Years of Magic" collection back during that promotion in 2002. All of them were large shaped plastic pins, one representing each park and one featuring the "100 Years" logo. All of them were wired with a mini light show of small different colored LED lights that would go off whenever you came into a certain area in a attraction. Infared beams would trigger the little cells inside the pin and set off a unique light pattern...different patterns for every ride/attraction. It was very cleverly put together. The batteries were standard calculator batteries that could easily be replaced so your pin could be used multiple visits. Even when you were home after the trip, you could still activate the pin by lightly touching the face of it and a slow light show would commence. It was'nt as vibrant a lightshow as in the parks, but it was still cool.

In later years they issued new updated versions of the Magical Moments pins...adding features to them including the game options mentioned in the posts above and more complex light shows.

But ya just can't beat the originals! You can usually find all the pins from this series on E-bay or from other pin collectors. I would recommend getting one if you don't have one as they are a great novelty.
Source: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/100-years-of-magic-pins.77385/page-2

Do each of the pins work the same, or are they park specific? Will the AK tree light up in POTC, for example?

Do each of the pins work the same, or are they park specific? Will the AK tree light up in POTC, for example?
They all work universally, doesn't matter which one you purchase, and were all sold at each park. I got my MK one at EPCOT

Gonna snag one off eBay for my 5 year old. He will love it! :)

You may wanna get one for yourself too. ...you know you want to.

And if you can confirm or add attractions that set them off or no longer do, be sure to let everyone know on this thread, even if it's years from now.

How about Pal Mickey?

He does still work at some of the locations. Just got back from a trip and BFF took hers. He went off at some of the older spots....ones that have not changed recently. It was fun to hear him again

I have 3 magical moments pins......two still in the package.
I think I will take the other with me on my next trip and see what happens. Haven't thought about them in years.

He does still work at some of the locations. Just got back from a trip and BFF took hers. He went off at some of the older spots....ones that have not changed recently. It was fun to hear him again

I actually posted as a joke. It is funny to know he still works in some spots. I might have to bring him along for our Easter trip.

You may wanna get one for yourself too. ...you know you want to.

And if you can confirm or add attractions that set them off or no longer do, be sure to let everyone know on this thread, even if it's years from now.

We're headed there on the 17th - will report back upon my return - I got the AK Tree version of the pin off eBay for $6 - brand new in package! :)

Wow, talk about a nice stroll down memory lane! We still have our MK pin, and we had to "retire" our DS's pal Mickey.
Remember the First Visit badges? They were given out at the 25th. WDW anniversary in 1996. Whatever year you first visited was put on the badge.
Here's our Son's from his first visit:
PhotoScan.jpg

We're headed there on the 17th - will report back upon my return - I got the AK Tree version of the pin off eBay for $6 - brand new in package! :)
Sweet! I think they were $15 originally, with inflation, that's $20 before the Disney tax (things were much more affordable back then, even during peak season)

Maybe you got a good deal because it's the tree. The hat didn't sell well either because it didn't really represent MGM. It was nothing more then a recently added pin store to 2001 visitors. I got the MK castle because, to me, it represented Disney as a whole World.

Last edited:
Remember the First Visit badges? They were given out at the 25th. WDW anniversary in 1996. Whatever year you first visited was put on the badge.

Don't remember that. It would've been my 3rd and 4th visit. I just remembered the giant pink castle cake. I thought that was pretty cool. My mom hated it. ...Like, a lot! We went during spring break 96, and then the Christmas/New Years, so the 25th was still going on, and the castle still the pink cake. It might be why my mother hated it so much. Half the time she was at WDW, the castle was a cake.

What I do remember though is the magic

Updated - No longer works with Maelstrom/Frozen. And despite installing BRAND NEW batteries the day before my trip, they were run down to the point where only two of the four LEDs would function, even though this was day 4 at the parks (5 days since install). Originally sold with a spare set, now we know why.

Updated. I was able to confirm 2 more rides. Learning from my battery issue, I developed a clever, yet obnoxious, method of extending the battery life. I placed a strip of plastic in between the battery connection, where there was once one originally during its sale. I would unscrew the backing, to help place it in, and remove the plastic once on the ride. I wouldn’t be able to reinstall the strip until I was back at the hotel, due to the inconvenience of needing to use a screw driver.

I am impressed with what they did with Haunted Mansion. I had forgotten all about it. Unlike the typical rapid sequenced flashes it does on other attractions, all LEDs blink together, simulating a heartbeat. I was wearing mine on my chest, so I instantly recognized what it was trying to do.

Anyway, so far, we have 4 confirmed, 3 still unknown (Peter Pan was under going refurbishment), and 2 no longer working. If I ever go again, I will have to record video of the various sequences.

Last edited:
Updated. I was able to confirm 2 more rides. Learning from my battery issue, I developed a clever, yet obnoxious, method of extending the battery life. I placed a strip of plastic in between the battery connection, where there was once one originally during its sale. I would unscrew the backing, to help place it in, and remove the plastic once on the ride. I wouldn’t be able to reinstall the strip until I was back at the hotel, due to the inconvenience of needing to use a screw driver.

I am impressed with what they did with Haunted Mansion. I had forgotten all about it. Unlike the typical rapid sequenced flashes it does on other attractions, all LEDs blink together, simulating a heartbeat. I was wearing mine on my chest, so I instantly recognized what it was trying to do.

Anyway, so far, we have 4 confirmed, 3 still unknown (Peter Pan was under going refurbishment), and 2 no longer working. If I ever go again, I will have to record video of the various sequences.

This makes me unspeakably happy... The heartbeat effect in Haunted Mansion was always one of my favorites, after the final room of "it's a small world" where the lights on the pin just go crazy with the fireworks. Have lots of fresh batteries ready to go, can't wait to bring my pins in January!! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter