Makahiki reopening November 23rd

sparks&whimsy

Mouseketeer
Okay the post a lot of you have been waiting for! I know, I have been waiting too...

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY - MAKAHIKI IS RE-OPENING

here are the changes as follows....

• Makahiki Restaurant will begin taking reservations on Nov. 19 for dinner reservations ONLY for Nov. 23 and beyond. // What does that mean? You can start calling Aulani on Nov. 19 for any dinner reservations for the date Nov. 23 and beyond.

• Breakfast will remain temporarily UNAVAILABLE.

• Only Guests & DVC Members with an ACTIVE RESORT RESERVATION will be able to dine at Makahiki.

• Reservations are required to dine at Makahiki. Walk-in Guests will be directed to make a reservation.

• Makahiki has transitioned to a 3-Course Preset Menu. There will be no buffet. Guests may choose one item from the options available for the courses. There is no ala carte menu options.

• Keiki (Child) Menu is for guests ages 9 and under ONLY.

• Makahiki will be open from 5p-830p every evening.

• Character Breakfast/Dinner remains UNAVAILABLE at this time.

• Due to current Hawaii City & County mandates- Reservations will be limited to parties of 5 or less. Tables are spaced more than 6ft apart and there is a capacity limit. Dining areas are cleaned between parties. All Guests 2 and Older will be required to wear a face covering when entering, exiting the restaurant, and when not seated at the table.

• All Guests will be required to undergo a temperature screening before entering the restaurant.

• Outdoor seating will be available.

MAKAHIKI

Three Course Dinner Menu

Choose One Starter, One Entrée and One Dessert $57

• STARTERS

Corn Soup

Locally-sourced Kahuku Sweet Corn, Cream, Herbs

Caesar Salad

Hearts of Romaine, White Anchovies, Herbed Croutons, Reggiano Parmesan

Caprese Salad

Vine Ripened Tomatoes, Burrata Cheese, Basil Leaves, Aged Balsamic Vinegar, First-press Olive Oil

• ENTRÉES

*Local Catch of The Day

Delivered Daily from Pier 38

*Farm-raised Salmon

Garlic Butter Glazed salmon

Grilled Asparagus, Lemon Herb Couscous

*Airline Chicken Breast

Preserved Lemon and Hawaiian Salt Rub

Potato Purée, Haircot Vert, Cipollini Onions, Brown Chicken Jus

*Prime Rib Eye Steak

Steak Frites, Charred Broccoli Rabe

Ali‘i Mushrooms, Hawaiian Chili-Pepper Chimichurri

Bucatini and Shrimp

Garlic Shrimp, Local Farm Roasted Vegetables, Chili Oil, Reggiano Parmesan

• DESSERTS

Roasted Pineapple Cobbler

Macadamia Nut Cinnamon Streusel, Vanilla Bean Gelato

Kokoleka Chocolate Entremet

Kokoleka Chocolate Mousse, Macadamia Nut Feulltine Crunch, Raspberry Hibiscus Reduction

Kona Coffee Cheesecake

Oreo Cookie Crust, Macadamia Nut Whipped Cream, Toffee Sauce

• BEVERAGES

Fresh Brewed Coffee

International and Herbal Teas - Green, English Breakfast, Chamomile

Assorted Soft Drinks - Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fruit Punch, Rootbeer, Powerade,

Lemonade, Raspberry Iced Tea, Unsweetened Iced Tea

General excise tax of 4.71% will be added to all transactions.

*This item is cooked to Guest preference and/or may contain raw or undercooked ingredients. Consuming raw or undercooked

meats, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.

Thank you! I was wondering if there would be things on the menu I would eat, since I don't eat fish. Really appreciate knowing the menu in advance.

Kokoleka Chocolate Entremet
Anybody else think they might’ve tried to go a little too frou-frou for the (normally a buffet) only real family sit-down option? Nobody in my family besides me eats asparagus and I have no freaking idea what an “entremet” is. Seems like some pretty limited choices for $57 a head.

I guess they figure anyone who’s battled what they’ve had to in order to actually GET to Hawaii right now will pay whatever and just be happy to be there. Which in many cases is probably true. Sorry for all who’ve had missed or impacted trips.

I have no freaking idea what an “entremet” is.
It's a multi-layered mousse-based cake.

There had been rumor it would be family style which is what I had been hoping for. We will make a reservation for our early December stay and give it a try and report back here. I am personally excited for the pineapple cobbler.

It's a multi-layered mousse-based cake.

There had been rumor it would be family style which is what I had been hoping for. We will make a reservation for our early December stay and give it a try and report back here. I am personally excited for the pineapple cobbler.
I think that would’ve offered much more flexibility and value. But yeah, that pineapple cobbler does sound good. (It all sounds good to me but it doesn’t seem very approachable for lots of families.)

Anybody else think they might’ve tried to go a little too frou-frou for the (normally a buffet) only real family sit-down option? Nobody in my family besides me eats asparagus and I have no freaking idea what an “entremet” is. Seems like some pretty limited choices for $57 a head.

I guess they figure anyone who’s battled what they’ve had to in order to actually GET to Hawaii right now will pay whatever and just be happy to be there. Which in many cases is probably true. Sorry for all who’ve had missed or impacted trips.

Nah, it all just sounds fancy but it's mostly just meat and a veg. If there are terms that you don't understand, you can just google it to see what it means. I imagine that they would swap out your veg for you if don't don't like something. They have green beans available. I don't think the choices are limited, they have 2 fish dishes, a chicken dish, a steak, and a shrimp dish. I guess they could have a vegetarian dish but I am sure the chef has a plan for that.

Nah, it all just sounds fancy but it's mostly just meat and a veg. If there are terms that you don't understand, you can just google it to see what it means. I imagine that they would swap out your veg for you if don't don't like something. They have green beans available. I don't think the choices are limited, they have 2 fish dishes, a chicken dish, a steak, and a shrimp dish. I guess they could have a vegetarian dish but I am sure the chef has a plan for that.
Again, I personally love to eat and all of that sounds good to me. And I’ve eaten a lot of fairly swanky food and still didn’t know what an entremet was. Less adventurous eaters can be put off by having to google prep terms and ingredients. I just don’t think it’s an approachable menu for what is supposed to be the family option. I’m sure they’ll still reach capacity.

Again, I personally love to eat and all of that sounds good to me. And I’ve eaten a lot of fairly swanky food and still didn’t know what an entremet was. Less adventurous eaters can be put off by having to google prep terms and ingredients. I just don’t think it’s an approachable menu for what is supposed to be the family option. I’m sure they’ll still reach capacity.

I understand what you are saying but to me, Aulani is a nice resort and the restaurant reflects that. Your paying $600+ a night and so I don't expect the menu to read like your going to Applebee's. I think this menu is completely in line with the setting. I feel that most people understand that places like to make things sound fancier then they really are and are able to see through it without getting upset about it. Perspective. And if people are "put off" by a menu, that really is not that far out there, that is on them and they can eat elsewhere. I don't like how people think that we have to "dumb down" things for those who don't want to learn something new. There have always been dining terms that were "fancy" until they became mainstream like souffle, risotto, bruscetta, etc.

I understand what you are saying but to me, Aulani is a nice resort and the restaurant reflects that. Your paying $600+ a night and so I don't expect the menu to read like your going to Applebee's. I think this menu is completely in line with the setting. I feel that most people understand that places like to make things sound fancier then they really are and are able to see through it without getting upset about it. Perspective. And if people are "put off" by a menu, that really is not that far out there, that is on them and they can eat elsewhere. I don't like how people think that we have to "dumb down" things for those who don't want to learn something new. There have always been dining terms that were "fancy" until they became mainstream like souffle, risotto, bruscetta, etc.
I’m totally with you on enjoying a nice restaurant and yes, I tell my husband “just read the ingredients—that’s steak, that’s a potato, etc” when the descriptions are so “fancified.” I just think with so few other options right now, a family style service or a few more menu options might’ve been a better choice. But heck, as desperate as many of us are getting to just go SOMEWHERE, I’m sure they’ll easily fill the room. I hope the days off “all you care to eat” crab claws aren’t gone forever, though.....I really enjoyed Makahiki in its previous form.

I called today and got a reservation for our mid-December trip, but struggled to get through using the Aulani phone number on the Aulani website using prompt 5 for restaurant reservations. Phone would just be silent and no one would answer. I called back several times and then used the "change my reservation" prompt and was told they couldn't help me because I had to speak to someone in Hawaii directly. But they did give me the direct phone number to Aulani, and after about 20 minutes on hold I got through to someone.

I asked if there was any news about AMA AMA reopening and the CM I spoke to said that it is dark at this time. We'll see if it opens by the time I get there. :)

I got my reservation!

Availability for a Saturday night was wide open when I called at about noon Hawaii time.

The CM confirmed that children 2 and under will not be charged. My son is a picky eater and I asked if I could order him a meal just to get some sides like rice and cheese. The CM assured me that I didn't have to worry and the restaurant would work something out.

I'm wondering if the menu might be limited because we are still having supply-chain issues here on Oahu? Canned corn, spam, turtle chips, vienna sausage, Ichiban ramen, and lots of other random items are hard to come by. We've got lots of TP and hand sanitizer, though!

I got my reservation!

Availability for a Saturday night was wide open when I called at about noon Hawaii time.

The CM confirmed that children 2 and under will not be charged. My son is a picky eater and I asked if I could order him a meal just to get some sides like rice and cheese. The CM assured me that I didn't have to worry and the restaurant would work something out.

I'm wondering if the menu might be limited because we are still having supply-chain issues here on Oahu? Canned corn, spam, turtle chips, vienna sausage, Ichiban ramen, and lots of other random items are hard to come by. We've got lots of TP and hand sanitizer, though!
Let me know if you get in dire need of Vienna sausage. For some random reason, my DD wanted some added to our grocery order for today! I don’t think she’s eaten one in at least 10 years! LoL We seem to have plenty here—although the TP hoarding seems to have begun again!

Let me know if you get in dire need of Vienna sausage. For some random reason, my DD wanted some added to our grocery order for today! I don’t think she’s eaten one in at least 10 years! LoL We seem to have plenty here—although the TP hoarding seems to have begun again!

Lol, thanks! I think the Vienna sausage shortage is the universe’s way of lowering my husband’s blood pressure though 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter