Makin' Memories... A PTR for a 2022 Thanksgiving Trip. (hopefully)

Just came upon this thread and saw your resort options.

Since it’s Andy’s bday I would probably leave it up to him, but I would pick 8 days at CSR and 1 night at the cabin.
The cabins are definitely on my bucket list. One day we will do 1 night but never leave the resort. Check in and spend all night there until check out. Maybe grab some food and go to the pool but that’s it. They look amazing.

We are also scheduled the week after Thanksgiving for WDW plus going to Hawaii 2022. Are youngest are 6 and 4 so no Vaccine for them yet.
Every few days I consider cancelling our Dec. trip but we are booked in at 2 bedroom at Copper Creek so it kills me to cancel. I don’t even mind if we do a resort stay. 🤞 things improve before then.

We are going to Hawaii in April. It crosses my mind to cancel that too but we rented points to stay at Aulani for a few days since we don’t own enough so I’m determined to make it happen. Probably wasn’t the best idea but I think I did it partially so I didn’t cancel. I’m so wishwashy I needed something to make it stick.

LOL. DD16 and I will also be in WDW in Feb. Seems like we have very similar travel styles.👍🏻

Aw, the Wonderful Wolchicks (that's me/my kiddos) subscribed to the channel! My kids are youtube obsessed, as well, and will enjoy seeing other DIS kids in the parks.
\
YEAH!! I am sure Gwen will notice that we have another subscriber! I have more videos to add. Gwen was asking me yesterday if I had added any more...

Thoughts on renting points: do the cabins usually book out or are they often empty? Assuming they're still available with only a few months to go, you could rent someone's cheap OKW or SSR points to try to do two nights. I would probably line up a Coronado reservation that would be for all but the two nights. Then, you either cancel that and keep the Coronado/AK split or, if the points work out, cancel the other two and do a two night point rental for the cabin.
I just get super nervous about renting DVC points right now. It def would be more economical, but I just worry if we have to cancel. I def could take a peek as we get closer.. you never know!

I’m planning my fiftieth for 2022 as well! Mine is October though. We are worried that we won’t make it though due to Covid. So many testing requirements for travel to and from Canada. We just cancelled for November and February. Planning a grand villa at Saratoga springs for my fiftieth. Lots of friends joking us.
Ugh. It just really sucks that we are still in this state of limbo... God, I hope by October things are better. But I feel like I was saying that about now last year... Sigh

I’d go for the cabin. Life is short!
So true!!!! I was saying that BEFORE covid and now it feels even more true!

I love how our Disney brains work, and keep adding and changing things from the moment a trip gets booked LOL
Right? I had fully convinced myself that it would be worth it. And then I talked with Andy... And well, I will post about that next!

I was curious about this, I own at Copper Creek and just looked and the entire month of April is available for Cabins right now. They range from 116 points a night to 196 points a night.
What does that equal in $$$? It's funny, the Cabins seem open for April BUT the summer seems all booked. I guess just more people traveling in the summer? Or banking on things being better by then?

We are also scheduled the week after Thanksgiving for WDW plus going to Hawaii 2022. Are youngest are 6 and 4 so no Vaccine for them yet.
Every few days I consider cancelling our Dec. trip but we are booked in at 2 bedroom at Copper Creek so it kills me to cancel. I don’t even mind if we do a resort stay. 🤞 things improve before then.
Fingers Crossed that you feel comfortable going! It really is a personal decision! And honestly, I feel like plans still need to be super flexible! I hate it! I am a planner! And all of this has forced me to be the oppposite of that!

Happy Thursday Everyone!!!!

I hope everyone has fared ok with this Storm Ida!!! Here in Jersey / Philly area, we got 2 tornados and LOTS of flooding. It is bonkers to me that we had real tornados here in Jersey! Thankfully, we didn't seem to get anything! Just some rain! But I guess that is how tornados work. Just not the norm for us up here.

So, trip updates!!!!

I floated the hotel options by Andy. And when I gave him the options he was kind of debating what to do. And then I mentioned that check in for DVC is officially 4:00 PM and check out is 11:00 AM. And he immediately said "Oh, well forget it then!"

Ok then!!! We are sticking with what I booked, 5 nights Coronado and 4 nights Animal Kingdom Lodge. Not a shabby option.

Of course, when I told him that.... he responded with "Oh, we are staying a WHOLE week?" Ugh... I have to work on him with that. I think he thinks we will get bored if we stay that long. But I think we will have MORE than enough to do. But I did say it is easier to take away nights from a room reservation than add them on.

I also started looking at airfare for Feb. We flew American the last 2 trips before Covid, in hopes of actually racking up some miles between our trips and Andy's business trips. Remember business trips? How cute was that? Any way, I started there and there are decent options. But I want to see what Southwest will look like against American. I
f you fly to Florida, what do you usually fly?

We used to always fly American. but our first Southwest flight saved us over $1,000 for the same dates and times, so we have flown Southwest ever since. We used to have to drive to the other Chicago airport, about 1/2 hour away, but it was worth it for the savings on the flight, but last year, Southwest started flying out of the airport closer to home, which has been even better! The nice thing is when flights are released, I can compare between those two airports and still end up getting a better deal at one or the other, and either one is convenient enough to book at.

What does that equal in $$$? It's funny, the Cabins seem open for April BUT the summer seems all booked. I guess just more people traveling in the summer? Or banking on things being better by then?
I guess it depends on where you rent points from. Ive seen rentals from $17-20ish a point. We only have 80 points which gets us about 5 nights in a studio. We will never be able to afford a cabin!

I almost always fly Jet Blue, Southwest or Delta. They have the most non-stops. I am exactly half way between Boston and Providence Airports so I just go with the best price. We have flown Frontier a couple times. They are not the greatest, but when I got a $15 each way fare, I don't care if I have to pay for oxygen on the plane! We just buy drinks at the air port Hudson News and bring our own snack so it doesn't phase us either way they charge for drinks and snacks.

We fly out of CT so use SW 99% of the time. I used to love JetBlue but over the last 10 years their prices have climbed while their service for worse.
I booked Jetblue for our return flight in Dec. by transferring all of our Amex points to JetBlue. A few weeks ago, JetBlue cancelled our flight home and put us on one returning at 9pm the night before going back to work/school. No thanks. We cancelled and moved to SW. Now, I have a bunch of JetBlue points to use one day.

Also while we are talking about cabins, they are never going to be cheap but since you travel throughout different times to Disney maybe try to do it on a cheaper month. For instance during the week on our Dec. trip they are 94? Points and 104 points the weekend. (Something like that) Which when paying 17-20 a point is a big difference.

We only own 130pts so that will kill almost a years worth of points but one day…..

We used to always fly American. but our first Southwest flight saved us over $1,000 for the same dates and times, so we have flown Southwest ever since. We used to have to drive to the other Chicago airport, about 1/2 hour away, but it was worth it for the savings on the flight, but last year, Southwest started flying out of the airport closer to home, which has been even better! The nice thing is when flights are released, I can compare between those two airports and still end up getting a better deal at one or the other, and either one is convenient enough to book at.
We used to fly Southwest all the time, but now that both girls are older, we can no longer board during family boarding. And I really hate the stress of making sure we get seats near each other. I am going to wait till Southwest releases prices for Feb. I am hoping we can get cheaper prices even if we upgrade to group a boarding. We will see.

I guess it depends on where you rent points from. Ive seen rentals from $17-20ish a point. We only have 80 points which gets us about 5 nights in a studio. We will never be able to afford a cabin!
But you have points!!! I don't think that will ever be a thing we will do. I actually don't like the studios for us. The pull out beds can be hit or miss on comfort.

I almost always fly Jet Blue, Southwest or Delta. They have the most non-stops. I am exactly half way between Boston and Providence Airports so I just go with the best price.
I used to be a HUGE Jet Blue fan when we lived in Boston. But unfortantly it's not a huge presense here in Philly. Southwest and American are the biggest arilines for us.

We fly out of CT so use SW 99% of the time. I used to love JetBlue but over the last 10 years their prices have climbed while their service for worse.
I booked Jetblue for our return flight in Dec. by transferring all of our Amex points to JetBlue. A few weeks ago, JetBlue cancelled our flight home and put us on one returning at 9pm the night before going back to work/school. No thanks. We cancelled and moved to SW. Now, I have a bunch of JetBlue points to use one day.
I used to be a HUGE Jet Blue fan when we lived in Boston. Sad to hear that they aren't as good as they used to be. Technically we can fly Jet Blue from Philly BUT to get to Orlando, I would need to fly from Philly to Boston and then to Orlando. Which just seems silly!

Also while we are talking about cabins, they are never going to be cheap but since you travel throughout different times to Disney maybe try to do it on a cheaper month. For instance during the week on our Dec. trip they are 94? Points and 104 points the weekend. (Something like that) Which when paying 17-20 a point is a big difference.
Good to know!!! I will def keep an eye out! I really would love to stay there at some point! We also love Wilderness Lodge in general. It was our favorite resort until we discovered Yacht Club. The boat ride over to Magic Kingdom is just magical. It is literally the best way to get to MK, in my opinion.

You are right, it isn't the cheapest time of year to go with it being Easter week. But it helps with the girls not missing school. Especially as they get older. Both are middle schoolers now! Yikes!

But you have points!!! I don't think that will ever be a thing we will do. I actually don't like the studios for us. The pull out beds can be hit or miss on comfort.
True we do! We have yet to use them too! Dumb Rona! Our DD is 1 so I am hoping by the time she is ready for a bed verses a pack and play they may go to the pull down beds. My DH and I stayed at Pop two nights in 2019 and had the pull down and loved it.

Of course, when I told him that.... he responded with "Oh, we are staying a WHOLE week?" Ugh... I have to work on him with that. I think he thinks we will get bored if we stay that long. But I think we will have MORE than enough to do. But I did say it is easier to take away nights from a room reservation than add them on.
I'm sure he'll come around. The longer the better
If you fly to Florida, what do you usually fly?
We always fly Southwest, mainly because we have the Companion pass so I always fly for "free" with DH. I always look for better deals but can't beat the SW prices.

Happy Saturday Everyone!

So, flight wise for February, I was totally going to wait till Southwest released there flights for February. BUT Andy mentioned to me that we should have some points to use for American. He didn't think it would be enough for us to use for this trip.....

It turns out we did! I was able to book our flight for flights down using just points. So, our flight is going to cost us $44 total!!! Woo Hoo!!!

The Flight is now booked! And because we are using miles, we are leaving on Friday at 10:48 AM. So, we will need to take 6 days of vacation but it is going to be worth it!

It also means that we will arrive in Florida at 1:30. We won't have park tickets for that day but We can maybe swim when we get there. And maybe head to Disney Springs for dinner!

And then we don't fly out on Sunday till 7:12. We usually don't like to leave so late, especially since we will all have to go to school and work the next day. BUT it will be worth it!!! But it also means we basically have the whole day on Sunday.

I currently have tickets for 9 days and if we count Sunday, we have 10 days. But I think we can decide which day we want as a totally no park day. Whether it is middle of the week or this day. I am thinking middle of the week at the moment.

And I have to say...
I am starting to get excited about this trip!!! Cautiously excited. But Excited.

I cancelled the December trip! But it's ok.... because .... Andy decided that he wants to go to Disney for his 50th. So, I have booked us some hotels for April! I can't try and have a trip in December, February AND April. I mean I would LOVE to!!! But that's just not going to happen.
Well of course I was secretly hoping for December so we could hopefully see you all but April for Andy's b-day makes a lot of sense. I think we are going to go to DL in April for Casey's first time.

I have us booked in a "standard" room. Which cracks me up as the water view is technically $5 cheaper. I know it's because the standard rooms have views of EPOCT and Hollywood Studios. It's intresting that they don't just call it that. I guess it depends on what floor you get how well you see the parks?
That makes no sense at all, but Disney room categories and pricing have never made sense to me.

Man alive! Those cabins are CRAZY $$$$. One night at rack rate is $2,800.... for ONE NIGHT!!!!! I know I could try and rent DVC points but right now, with how things are, I would rather have a better cancellation policy. I tried to rationalize it, like I am cancelling the December trip, and can pay for that instead.... But one night doesn't seem like enough... with a 4:00 checkin and an 11:00 check out... You are barely in the room!
I would love to stay at one of these some day too but that price is just ridiculous. I'm sure it would be absolutely glorious but not $3000 glorious. Now maybe we can actually get back there with you sometime and split it for a night. Some how $1400 each sounds very practical :D

On other note, I started a You Tube Channel for all of our videos... Granted they are NOT anything special. But it's a good place to house them all. And Gwen got a HUGE kick out of them going up there. I am still working on getting all of them up there. But if you are so inclined, check them out. And if you are even more inclined subscribe and make Gwen's Day!
:thumbsup2 I'm all subbed up. When Casey wakes up (cause she is sleeping til 10 these days) I'll be sure to have her check these out.

So, of course, I have been noodling with options for April, as we do.... And I of course have come up with a few other options that I need to float by Andy...
Of course you have, but I think your original plan sounds the best. Its a bit of a gamble but they do have regular rooms at AKL that have savannah views. We got one a few years back and it was awesome.

I hope everyone has fared ok with this Storm Ida!!! Here in Jersey / Philly area, we got 2 tornados and LOTS of flooding. It is bonkers to me that we had real tornados here in Jersey! Thankfully, we didn't seem to get anything! Just some rain! But I guess that is how tornados work. Just not the norm for us up here.
Glad to hear you all faired well but how scary. We had the worst thunderstorm I'd ever heard over night but otherwise nothing too major. They did have tornados in Maryland but they were at least an hour from us.

I also started looking at airfare for Feb. We flew American the last 2 trips before Covid, in hopes of actually racking up some miles between our trips and Andy's business trips. Remember business trips? How cute was that? Any way, I started there and there are decent options. But I want to see what Southwest will look like against American. If you fly to Florida, what do you usually fly?
Had to laugh at your business trips comment. I was supposed to have my first in 2 years this month but covid is raging its ugly head in Missouri where I was headed so cancelled that.

We usually fly United because its about the only option out of the airport right by our house but if we drive closer to the city there are a lot more options. Jet Blue is my preferred airline but we'll be traveling on SW the next couple of trips. Can't beat their prices and free bags. I usually pay for early boarding so we don't have to worry about that. Since bags are free seems a fair trade off.

And I have to say... I am starting to get excited about this trip!!! Cautiously excited. But Excited.
Crossing everything I got for you all. You deserve all the excitement and Disney!

I think we are going to go to DL in April for Casey's first time
That will be fun!!!! Andy wants to go back. So, hopefully we will go at some point.

That makes no sense at all, but Disney room categories and pricing have never made sense to me.
It's just silly how they are stuck in there ways.

I would love to stay at one of these some day too but that price is just ridiculous. I'm sure it would be absolutely glorious but not $3000 glorious. Now maybe we can actually get back there with you sometime and split it for a night. Some how $1400 each sounds very practical :D
That is exactly what I was saying to Andy, that it wouldn't be as bad if you split it with another family. Maybe one day!

I'm all subbed up. When Casey wakes up (cause she is sleeping til 10 these days) I'll be sure to have her check these out.
Awsome! 10?!? Really? I really don't think Morgan and Gwen will ever sleep that late.... Morgan is still getting up at 6 AM.... She won't get out of bed, but she is awake!! It's crazy.

Of course you have, but I think your original plan sounds the best. Its a bit of a gamble but they do have regular rooms at AKL that have savannah views. We got one a few years back and it was awesome
Well, as you saw, it's what we are sticking with! We did do a trip with 3 moves, and it wasn't completely terrible but you are homeless too much.

They did have tornados in Maryland but they were at least an hour from us.
The tornados around us were only 20 miles away. Def too close for comfort. But you would never have even known they were there. Which was so so strange! I am not used to torandos.

Jet Blue is my preferred airline but we'll be traveling on SW the next couple of trips. Can't beat their prices and free bags. I usually pay for early boarding so we don't have to worry about that. Since bags are free seems a fair trade off.
I have a feeling we will be flying SW for the April trip. Unless, Andy wants to start building more miles.

We used to fly Southwest all the time, but now that both girls are older, we can no longer board during family boarding. And I really hate the stress of making sure we get seats near each other. I am going to wait till Southwest releases prices for Feb. I am hoping we can get cheaper prices even if we upgrade to group a boarding. We will see.
I totally get that!! With American or United, we were so used to having to pay for baggage fees that when we switched to Southwest I didn't mind paying for the Early Bird fee to get an A boarding group--it's STILL less than baggage fees, which is insane to me!

I'm so excited for you that you were able to get your flights for only $44 out of pocket!!! :) That's so awesome and definitely worth it to get there earlier and enjoy a chill afternoon/evening on day 1.

I'm so excited for you that you were able to get your flights for only $44 out of pocket!!! :) That's so awesome and definitely worth it to get there earlier and enjoy a chill afternoon/evening on day 1.
Thanks!!! I was pretty excitied about it. I "think" because Andy is a American "member" we get 1 free bag for each of us? And 4 suitcases is more that we need. We usually have 3 bags for the 4 of us.

Airlines suck in general these days! They all have a thing that just isn't great, you know...

I am going to check out SW for April, though!

Wow it looks like I missed lost of changes.

Sorry the December trip is off, but I do understand. I think some news about vaccines for kids should be coming soon.

Andy's birthday trip sounds great. I really think you will find plenty to keep you busy without going into the parks. So much to see, do and eat.

I'm excited for your February trip. Looks like Danielle will still be there but where in the bubble we don't know.

following along. I just convinced hubby to take a short trip in February so your title caught my attention while looking for pre trip reports for february.

Sorry the December trip is off, but I do understand. I think some news about vaccines for kids should be coming soon.
Fingerscrossed!!! Everything I have read says soo. I just want to fast forward through the rest of September!

I'm excited for your February trip. Looks like Danielle will still be there but where in the bubble we don't know.
I will have to ask you where she is when it gets closer!

following along. I just convinced hubby to take a short trip in February so your title caught my attention while looking for pre trip reports for february.
Fun! When in Feb are you going to go? We LOVE going in Februrary. It is our favorite time to go.

Fun! When in Feb are you going to go? We LOVE going in Februrary. It is our favorite time to go.

It will either be the 1st-6th or 8th-13th. It's cheaper (both resort and flight) to go the 1st-6th. Because of hubby's work, he can't take off more than 3 days on a row but he thinks he could get off half a day extra so we could fly in on Tuesday evening (making flights a little more cheaper than Wednesday morning) and it gives us four full park days instead of 3 1/2 days). The only think going against the 1st-6th is the fact that there are dance competitions that week so there will be dance groups there. Which probably won't really even bother hubby and me but we are taking that into consideration when we make our decision next week. This will be my first february trip (I've been in March, May, August and November) so I am hoping hubby will be more comfortable in these temps rather than the August trip we had to take last time together due to his work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter