Makin' Memories... A PTR for a 2022 Thanksgiving Trip. (hopefully)

Such a fun idea! Last year I had a countdown calendar to our trip and a couple times a month I had added making some disney treats. I will have to look at getting this cookbook so we can bring some magic to our household. I am afraid of starting a countdown with the kids again in the event we need to cancel. We are supposed to go the end of Augusta before school starts.

Hello Everyone!!!

It is yet another snowy day here. (As it seems to be for a lot of people!) I was saying to Morgan today that if they were in regular school, they would be on like day 5 of snow days. She wasn't happy with that realization...

Did everyone see that Disney released 2022 packages. I am thinking this weekend, I might book a February 2022 package, just in case we decide that Thanksgiving is still too soon. I would love to say that we could go twice... But I don't think the girls can afford to miss that much school. Sign.. They will be in 8th and 6th grade by then!

Does anybody have a Crystal Ball and can tell me which time of year will be better to go? I know Thanksgiving will be busy, as it just is a busy time of year. But... I feel like by 2022 people will be more willing to travel?

I really want to plan stuff! But I am not sure what to even plan. I guess I should pick parks for each day? Sounds like the park reservation system is staying for awhile. I am not too worried about getting reservations but it would be something to start thinking about!

ats. I will have to look at getting this cookbook so we can bring some magic to our household. I am afraid of starting a countdown with the kids again in the event we need to cancel. We are supposed to go the end of Augusta before school starts.
I can understand that! I def won't be saying anything to the girls until I know for sure that we are going.

Oh my goodness! All your Disney meals look absolutely amazing, especially that bread service!! Yum!
Thanks! The bread service was def my favorite of the bunch.

Oh, and did I mention I have a small love affair with Ronto Wraps?? ;)
Did you get one on your trip?

Following along!
Welcome!!!

I'm home today for our second Ice Day. So unheard of way down here, but we don't usually have anything. I wanted snow, but got ice.
Ugh! This weather is awful!

I am also thinking of going in November. We are doing a make-up trip June 1-4 this year but I really want to see Disney around the holidays. I see from your reports you have been to Disney a lot in February too. Are you normally able to get to the pool or is it too cold. Also what time in February have you found is best? I currently have a 1st grader and 6th grader.
Thanks in advance.

I am also thinking of going in November. We are doing a make-up trip June 1-4 this year but I really want to see Disney around the holidays. I see from your reports you have been to Disney a lot in February too. Are you normally able to get to the pool or is it too cold. Also what time in February have you found is best? I currently have a 1st grader and 6th grader.
Thanks in advance.
We have been going to Disney in February for the last 6 years! This is the first we have missed in a long time! And it hurts!!! We def get to swim on the February trips. Night swimming is a little harder as the pools will open 10-ish in the morning and then close 9 or 10 depending on the resort. But it is usually warm enough during the day for swimming! We usually need light jackets for the AM and PMs but shed them once the sun comes out. We have had days where I wish I had packed our personal fans and cooling rags. And days where we needed jackets all day. It does vary a bit but I don't think we have had 1 Feb. trip where we couldn't swim at least some of the days.

We went to Disney last year right after Thanksgiving and MUCH cooler!!! But we enjoyed it. Our friends were a little disappointed at how cold it was. But the pools are heated and my crazy children don't care, they will swim no matter what.

We tend to go around President's Day, just to save on a school day missed. But it is busier that weekend, traditionally. If you can, I would go a week before or after President's Day weekend. There is a small sweet spot before spring breaks start. But overall February is a great time to go. It has gotten more and more popular time of year to go. But really who knows what it will be like going forward.

So, Christmas decorations will start to go up literally right after Halloween, but not all of the Christmas stuff will be up till closer to the end of November. The holiday booths have traditionally opened on Black Friday. So, depending on what holiday stuff you want to see, you will want to go later in November. If they have the storytellers this year, those also usually start Black Friday.

We have been going to Disney in February for the last 6 years! This is the first we have missed in a long time! And it hurts!!! We def get to swim on the February trips. Night swimming is a little harder as the pools will open 10-ish in the morning and then close 9 or 10 depending on the resort. But it is usually warm enough during the day for swimming! We usually need light jackets for the AM and PMs but shed them once the sun comes out. We have had days where I wish I had packed our personal fans and cooling rags. And days where we needed jackets all day. It does vary a bit but I don't think we have had 1 Feb. trip where we couldn't swim at least some of the days.

We went to Disney last year right after Thanksgiving and MUCH cooler!!! But we enjoyed it. Our friends were a little disappointed at how cold it was. But the pools are heated and my crazy children don't care, they will swim no matter what.

We tend to go around President's Day, just to save on a school day missed. But it is busier that weekend, traditionally. If you can, I would go a week before or after President's Day weekend. There is a small sweet spot before spring breaks start. But overall February is a great time to go. It has gotten more and more popular time of year to go. But really who knows what it will be like going forward.

So, Christmas decorations will start to go up literally right after Halloween, but not all of the Christmas stuff will be up till closer to the end of November. The holiday booths have traditionally opened on Black Friday. So, depending on what holiday stuff you want to see, you will want to go later in November. If they have the storytellers this year, those also usually start Black Friday.

Thanks for your reply!! I am also a teacher so it's tricky to plan trips during the school year. I think President's week may work for us next year with the holiday and some extra days off too. I get in such a funk every February/March and want warmth and travel!! We live in PA and have a remote/snow day today. Better than making them all up!! Have a great day and I look forward to reading more of your reports and plans. I've learned so much from all of the reports.

Hi Everyone! Let's talk food!

I have been compiling a list of possible places we will want to eat at. Right now our trip is 10 full days! And we usually only do 1 sit down meal a trip.

Here is my list so far:

• Space 2020
  • La Crepe de Paris
  • Le Cellier Steakhouse
  • Beaches and Cream
  • California Grill
  • Sanaa
  • Ohana
  • BOMA
  • Artist's Point
  • Hoop Dee Do Review
  • Homecoming
  • Polite Pig
  • Wine Bar George
  • Morimoto Asia
  • Liberty Tree Tavern

So, I have 3 restaurants in EPCOT, but I think we could swing that with staying at Yacht Club.
Space 2020 if it opens will def be one that we def want to try!
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 9.18.41 AM
I mean look at this picture from Disney's website! But there has been zero rumblings of this place opening. So, who knows if it will be open or not!

Le Crepe de Paris isn't even listed on the Disney website! I am not sure what that means for when it will open! But The girls love crepes from the outside stand and those aren't very good. So, I know this would hopefully be a good fit for us.

Le Cellier Steakhouse was a suprise for us. Not that I didn't think we would like it when we went, I just think I didn't think we would like it as much as we did!
Untitled
Untitled
These are my photos from when we went last year for Valentine's Day. And I do dream about having both again. And when we did our survey's Andy put this as his first thing to eat, so, I think it i might be a must for us.

For resort restaurants, I have 6! Really I think the best restaurants are at the hotels!
Beaches and Cream has become one of the girls favorites. And we could easily do lunch one day. Maybe leave Hollywood Studios early, eat lunch and swim. It's kind of like a counter service food with sit down service. And if we split food, we could still go somewhere for dinner. Hmmm maybe one of the Disney Springs Restaurants that night...
No Way Jose Dessert
I actually love splitting a burger and the sundaes! It not the most gormet meal but still so good!

California Grill was really good the first time we went. But I booked us late, so we could see the fireworks while we ate. Which was nice but it was just a really late night for us. I think I would book for a regular dinner time for us. Maybe we could head back into MK if the park is open late-ish for a few night rides?
Gwen's Sushi
I know Gwen wants go just for the candy sushi dessert.

Sanaa is an absolute must! This is my favorite for sure. And I think everyone know that we will need to go for bread service. We have been going for a late lunch on Animal Kingdom day, and it has worked out well, to get a break from the heat! And I do tend to like the lunch menu more than the dinner menu.
Me in my happy place
Soooo yummy looking!

Ohana, I think may be food wise be one of Andy's favorite, so this will probably be a must as well. Oh, maybe I can plan on us actually getting into Trader Sam's if it is reopened. Although, that might be a long shot, as it is very small in there. Well, and actually, Ohana isn't open currently, so this would be dependent on it reopening by then.
Ohana Apps
This platter alone is what I come for. Andy goes for the meats!

BOMA is probably Morgan's favorite meal. And usually we do either BOMA or Sanaa and which ever we do, we go to on our AK day. And yes, we usually only have 1 AK day! So, I am not completely sure how this will fit into the plans. We will see.
Chakalaka, Whole Roasted Salmon, & Kokonut Rice
This tomato based "soup" is soooo good! I could eat bowls and bowls of it!
BOMA Morgan's Plate
And really Morgan likes this place for the meat alone!
Side Planning: I was talking with my sister yesterday. And I floated the idea of them coming with us to Disney at some point. My sister and husband are big into travelling, and obviously haven't been able to right now. And I said maybe they could come with us when travel in the US is fairly safe but international travel is still kind of meh. She said that it was a possibilty! AND if/when we do that, I do plan to have us stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I know her husband would love just sitting on the balcony watching the animals. And we would def need to eat at ALL the restaurants that trip! So, maybe I could save BOMA for that trip....

Artist's Point is the last resort restaurant that I have. This would probably only be if they bring back the characters. We did love it last time, and I think it would be nice to do again and not have everything be new. if that makes sense. But this one could def end up on the chopping block if it doesn't work out.
IMG_6230

Hoop Dee Do Review has been on our list to go to again for a long time! And it just never made the cut! I would love to squeeze it in this trip, if at all possible! I kind of regret we didn't go on our December trip with the L's. This obvisouly is dependent on them reopening. But the one time we went, I don't think Andy or the girls knew what to expect, and I think they would enjoy it more the 2nd time around. (also, this would be fun to do with my sister and husband... hmmm)

So, here is where I do run into a problem, I think I have too many Disney Springs restaurants! And I really don't know which one to cut!
Homecoming has become a favorite of ours. The first time we went it was a disaster. It was pouring rain, we waited forever for a boat from French Quarter to get down to DS. And Andy and the girls were all in terrible moods. But we went back a second time, and that was much better, and now Andy loves it! We came here one day straight from Hollywood Studios and it actually worked out well. We did like a 4:00 dinner and had an early night. So, I might do that again.
Untitled
I love the fried green tomato appatizer! And Morgan loved the 3 sides option.
Untitled
Andy of course loves his moonshine from here!
Untitled
And my watermelon mash! I am sure we will order one to go as well!

Polite Pig - I know this is technically counterservice but the fact that it's in Disney Springs makes it more of an event. If that makes sense. And this is probably Andy's second favorite place to eat in Disney at this point!
IMG_1065
This sandwich is soooo good.

We haven't been to Wine Bar George yet! But I do think we will really like it here. And I do want to try and squeeze it in. I do think we would like it alot and it does seem kind of low key, which is perfect for us. But I have a feeling this might be on the chopping floor! The other 3 will win out and even then, 3 trips to Disney Springs might be pushing it for us.

Morimoto Asia is always good. And those ribs!!! And I would love to try the bimbap again! And Gwen is all into Ramen now, I think Morgan and Gwen would love to try a good Ramen bowl here.
Morimoto "Buri-Bop"

So, I only have 1 Magic Kingdom Restaurant:
And that is Liberty Tree Tavern and I am leaning towards maybe we do go to Magic Kingdom on Thanksgiving... And do lunch there. Maybe go first thing in the morning and have lunch and then leave to swim in the afternoon?

I find it intresting that we have no restaurants in Hollywood Studios, maybe the new Toy Story restaurant if that would open in time. But I am not betting on that happening. And we don't have any in Animal Kingdom either. Tusker House is good, but we have done that a couple times and can take a break from there.

Am I missing one of your favorites? Not that I need more options, but what should be try as well?!?!

Beaches and Cream, Ohana, Sanaa are all every trip kind of places for us! Of course right now Ohana isn't open and we aren't planning on it being open this summer as of right now. We've got Homecomin' down for this summer though...super excited about that one! The list looks great though! I hope some of these places open that are currently shut down!

Your list looks like mine when I'm planning a trip! They're all great choices. I can't wait for Space 220…that's definitely top of any list. And LTT on Thanksgiving is perfect.

I end up making more reservations than I need and then narrowing it down in the weeks leading up to the trip, or sometimes even the day before to see how we're feeling.

Space 2020 if it opens will def be one that we def want to try!
OH, that is top of the list for Jack and I if it opens!
Beaches and Cream has become one of the girls favorites. And we could easily do lunch one day. Maybe leave Hollywood Studios early, eat lunch and swim. It's kind of like a counter service food with sit down service. And if we split food, we could still go somewhere for dinner. Hmmm maybe one of the Disney Springs Restaurants that night...
Love a B&C lunch.....their grilled cheese and tomato soup is my favourite.
Sanaa is an absolute must! This is my favorite for sure. And I think everyone know that we will need to go for bread service. We have been going for a late lunch on Animal Kingdom day, and it has worked out well, to get a break from the heat! And I do tend to like the lunch menu more than the dinner menu.
Mmmmmm, Sanaa! Definitely a must do!
Hoop Dee Do Review has been on our list to go to again for a long time! And it just never made the cut! I would love to squeeze it in this trip, if at all possible! I kind of regret we didn't go on our December trip with the L's. This obvisouly is dependent on them reopening. But the one time we went, I don't think Andy or the girls knew what to expect, and I think they would enjoy it more the 2nd time around. (also, this would be fun to do with my sister and husband... hmmm)
We did the Hoop for the first time on our anniversary trip and LOVED it! We would go again for sure!
Am I missing one of your favorites? Not that I need more options, but what should be try as well?!?!
I do love Yak and Yeti at AK. Geyser Point is great for lunch or dinner on a MK day. I love Nomad Lounge too and Crew's Cup if it is open by then.

I do love Yak and Yeti at AK. Geyser Point is great for lunch or dinner on a MK day. I love Nomad Lounge too and Crew's Cup if it is open by then.
Those are all good recommendations! Andy and I ate at Crew's Cup on our last trip. We went for a late dinner and left the girls in the room, it was great! And Nomad Lounge is good too! I forgot about that one!

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to March!
I have decided that March is a month of survival! We just need to get through the month. Once April hits, we have a lot of things to look forward to and some birthdays to look forward to. So, here is to getting through the month of March!

Ok, so I have admit something....

I am a member of TPA! Trip Planning Anonymous! I wrote up that post about all of the restaurants that I wanted us to go to on our next trip. And I just went down a rabbit hole of possibilities for other trips! Maybe we could take a trip this summer and just go to a water park and stay at a hotel. When would be best to go with my sister and husband? Should we go in Feb. 2022 with them? But how much school can the girls miss? Maybe we just go to Florida to see my grandparents and eat in Disney Springs. Can we got to Disney for a short trip around mine and Gwen's birthdays? Seriously! I went down deep into the rabbit hole!

So, let's address some of the options I was mulling over...

The top and probably most important option would be to go and see my grandfather isn't doing well, again. He has been up and down for 5 years now. And 2 weeks ago it wasn't looking good. But he is a fighter and seems like he is going to pull through for awhile, at least. So, I do want to try and possibly see my grandfather this summer. And well, if for some reason he isn't around by then, it will probably be nice to go see my grandmother regardless.

Grandparents
This was pretty much the excitement from that last time we visited my grandparents.

Well, that and finding this lizard with a stubbed tail...
Lizard with no tail in Sebring
There really isn't much to do in Sebring Florida, unless you are a racing fan. Which there is a racetrack down there. Andy and I were just talking about taking a full week off from work, maybe fly down on a Monday and visit during the week. So, maybe we could do one day at a water park? Maybe? Maybe 2 days at a Disney hotel, one day to go to the water park and one day to just chill by the hotel pool? I would def need to see how busy the water parks will be and the hotels this summer. Def at a minimum we could have a meal at Disney Springs and do some shopping.

The option of going to Disney during Gwen and my birthday is a total pipe dream for this year. I do want to do that one year, but I don't think that is in the cards for this year. Maybe next summer. We did takeMorgan to Disney ON her birthday for her 11th birthday but I think it was be more enjoyable over all next summer.

Morgan on bus

But the other BIG question would be when would be the perfect time to have my sister and husband come with us? The timing will need to be at some point when they feel comfortable to travel but still not ready to travel over seas. Obviously, I have no idea how long THAT will be! I was thinking that Feb 2022 would be good. BUT if we go to Disney at Thanksgiving, the girls will be missing 2 half days and 2 full days. So, 4 days already. Maybe I could take them out for another 2 or 3 days max. But I am worried about Gwen and it being her first year at the middle school. The other option would be to see if they wanted to meet us for the second half of the Thanksgiving trip. But I am selfish and kind of want that trip to be just us, so we can just do and visit the parks the way we want.

One last note, I just submitted a bunch of vacation days! OH and man did it feel good! Of course none of it is until this summer but it felt more official by submitting the requests! I submitted the days I need for the Thanksgiving trip of course. I picked a random week in August to potentially go to Florida to visit my grandparents, and 3 days in July when Gwen and my birthday is. All are subject to change of course but it is nice to have vacation on the horizon!

Anybody have non-disney vacation plans in the works?

I am also in super planning mode lately. February I am usually in a funk so planning vacays helps! Mid May I am going with some friends to Deep Creek Lake for a weekend. It is so relaxing and fun there. We are doing a moms and kiddos trip, leaving the husbands at home. Then the kids and I are heading to Disney May 31-June 4. I am super excited. Our state just lifted the travel ban and I am set to get my vaccine shortly. So feeling hopeful that we are getting closer to normalcy! I know the masks will be a pain but we have to wear them daily as it is and my kids have done a great job with them. I also plan to go with the flow and take breaks when needed. Finally in July we are taking our normal week to the beach.
If my solo trip (my husband isn't going along) with the kids goes well I am looking into another Disney trip next February probably close to President's Day. I could take the kids 2 days out of school and still have a nice trip with the extended weekend. I am also a teacher so 2-3 days off max in a row is all I'm comfortable with. I figure a February trip will be perfect with my winter funk times!! Time will tell though!

I love having a countdown to just about anything, so I'm right there with you as a member of TPA!

Jimmy and I are doing a road trip over our spring break to Springfield, IL and some Route 66 stuff. Rob and I are still technically set for a Disney Cruise at the end of June for our 15th wedding anniversary (though I fear this will be canceled before much longer). If that trip gets canceled, he and I are still going to fly to Orlando and stay at Universal and do some other FL, non-Disney things. Our other big countdown is for Christmas and NYE at WDW. Definitely cannot wait for that one, especially with all the 50th excitement still going on in addition to the holiday!

I hope you get to see your Grandpa this summer, and that his health improves! We lost Rob's Grandma this weekend, and even though we knew it would be soon, it just doesn't make it any easier.

Mid May I am going with some friends to Deep Creek Lake for a weekend. I
Where is Deep Creek Lake? That sound like a great weekend get away!

Our state just lifted the travel ban and I am set to get my vaccine shortly. So feeling hopeful that we are getting closer to normalcy!
I am hopeful as well! DH and I have appointments for shots end of April. So, I am looking at the end of the tunnel soon! Fingerscrossed!

I am also a teacher so 2-3 days off max in a row is all I'm comfortable with. I figure a February trip will be perfect with my winter funk times!! Time will tell though!
February is a PERFECT time to get away from the winter funk! This was the first year in 6 years that we haven't gone in February. And it was rough!!!

I love having a countdown to just about anything, so I'm right there with you as a member of TPA!
I think we should make a logo and a slogan!

Our other big countdown is for Christmas and NYE at WDW. Definitely cannot wait for that one, especially with all the 50th excitement still going on in addition to the holiday!
YEAH!!!! I am looking forward to it for sure! I keep forgetting that it will also be 50th Anniversary stuff as well.

I hope you get to see your Grandpa this summer, and that his health improves! We lost Rob's Grandma this weekend, and even though we knew it would be soon, it just doesn't make it any easier.
Thanks. I hope so as well. This will be the first real death that Morgan and Gwen will have to really deal with. They still have my Dad's mom as well. So, they have been lucky to have 3 grandparents! Since my grandparents are in Florida we don't see them a ton but they have seen them enough. And I like to think that Gwen and my grandmother are kindred spirits. They seem to bond almost immediatly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter