Mandatory Health Questionaire

Kidguile

Mouseketeer
Just received the mandatory health questionnaire for a DCL cruise. Does anybody know what happens if we "fail" this questionnaire?

Here's the backstory - we did not get travel insurance and we had a family member pass away the day before our scheduled flight. The credit card used does not have any travel benefits that would cover this event and us not being in the right mindset to go on the cruise.

We reached out to DVC that booked our cruise and unfortunately they would not refund us anything at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody know what happens if we "fail" this questionnaire?
Generally you would be referred to the medical team prior to boarding. Possible to start with a quarantine but that’s pretty rare. I don’t believe there’s any refund for being too ill to board on embarkation day if that was your thought.

Sorry about your relative. I hope you are able to work something out.

Apparently they called DVC. It wouldn’t hurt to call DCL directly. No guarantees but worth a try.
I think they worked it with both depts. and went up to a supervisor but was denied. We tried 2x. We are trying to escalate it another level but the whole thing is frustrating. The advisors were sympathetic and gave suggestions on how to proceed. I'm sure they've heard many "excuses" on last minute cancellations. We don't have documentation for the untimely death yet to try and go higher up. 😥

I am very sorry for your loss and I am sure it’s emotional and scary and frustrating to deal with.

This is 100% why I get travel insurance for any trip that requires full payment beforehand. Anything can happen to anyone at anytime. By electing not to get travel insurance, you elected to take the risk of cruise loss. No one thinks they need travel insurance until they do.

I do not think you get a refund if you fail the health questionnaire at port. As someone else said, you either are denied boarding for safety of fellow passengers or you are quarantined. Being able to cancel for COVID exposure is gone now.

Did you ask for a full refund or did you say you would be willing to rebook? Maybe they’re more flexible in allowing you to rebook as an exception. Did you book through a travel agent? Sometimes if you book through a high revenue agent, Cruise lines will do waivers and favors to keep the agents happy.

Unfortunately, unexpected deaths / sickness is not an outlyer thing where airlines, cruise lines, etc. will make exceptions. This is why there’s insurance or higher fares for flexibility.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

However, this is one of the situations for which travel insurance exists. By not insuring your travel, you implicitly agreed that you were okay with losing all of the cost of your travel, were something to keep you from your plans.
DCL *may* offer you to switch to another cruise for a fee, but you are well within the cancelation penalty phase, and they don't owe you anything.

If I'm reading that you hope to get compensated for the cruise by "failing" the health questionnaire...
a, Idk DCL's policy on that, and b, better to be truthful.

Travel insurance isn't only for "what if something happens to us during the trip" but it is also for exactly this situation, if the relative who passed away was within the insurer's definition of immediate family.

The only time we've used travel insurance to cover a full cruise fare was a completely unexpected accident just 5 days before a cruise with an injury to my DH that prevented us from going.
It's part of the cost of the trip.

Did you ask for a full refund or did you say you would be willing to rebook? Maybe they’re more flexible in allowing you to rebook as an exception. Did you book through a travel agent? Sometimes if you book through a high revenue agent, Cruise lines will do waivers and favors to keep the agents happy.

Unfortunately, unexpected deaths / sickness is not an outlyer thing where airlines, cruise lines, etc. will make exceptions. This is why there’s insurance or higher fares for flexibility.
We called in to see what options were available - they automatically tried to see if they can do a refund without saying so.

The second call was to see if we could switch passengers so it wouldn’t be a complete waste. This was slightly better but one of the main passengers would still have to be a guest.

I'm sorry for your loss, and that you are in this situation. Good luck working something out with your cruise. :hug:

We have a freedom CC with chase that we used to book a Hawaiian cruise with DCL
About 2 months before we were to leave my mom was admitted to hospice care
I called chase and insurance covered her even though she wasn’t going
The insurance com was great to work with.
They told me all the paperwork I needed and as expected her dr needed to fill out forms

But all went through
DCL refunded real fast
The airlines gave the usual credit good for a yr but they told me when the yr passed to to get a form stating credit expired without use.
So maybe double check with the chase CC you have
Also just want to say sorry for your loss. It’s never easy. My mom was with us for 10 months during hospice care but it was a rough 10 months just watching her slip away. And this of course was during Covid which made it so much worse since we couldn’t visit except for the last week the care facility let us come and go but only 2 in her room
Sorry to ramble when this is your moment OP but my heart still breaks when I think of my mom

Last edited:
Reading through various forums, when you fill out the Health Questionnaire the morning of the cruise, you still go to the port for boarding.

So not an option to stay home and get it resolved ahead of time. And you really have lead time with this, anyway.

But it was smart to verify with Disney and us. (But only DVC, not DCL? Sounds like you are probably going to get same answer.)

Then the Medical Team either visits with you after check-in or quarantines you to your room.

Sorry for the cascading loss, especially of your family member.

We had a family emergency and were offered the option to rebook our cruise on the day before embarkation. That came with a very hefty fee however. It was either $300 or $300 per person. I think it was the latter.

We had a family emergency and were offered the option to rebook our cruise on the day before embarkation. That came with a very hefty fee however. It was either $300 or $300 per person. I think it was the latter.
$300 pp doesn’t sound so severe these days - but when it happened to you, was that a significant % of cruise fare?

I am so sorry for your loss, but I live by and expect/hope everyone else is honest as well. I don’t believe in lying. A phone call to DCL and explaining your very real circumstance might get some sympathy rebooking.
I went through this when my mother was in ICU. I did have insurance through DVC because I booked with points. Unfortunately DCL will not work with you because you booked through DVC. DVC will have to be the ones to address and possibly rebook. And that will depend on the agent they get. If they have no luck the 1st time, they could call back a 2nd time but there is zero obligation for them to do anything.

Sad part is for the OP the DVC insurance costs minimal and it would have gotten their cash back for the value of her points. This is why I always get insurance. My heart goes out to the OP'er and their family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter