Marathon Weekend 2018

I completed my first marathon today: 5:31:50. :)

It was tough going from 22 miles training run to running the full 26. I didn't realize how much you struggle in those last 4 miles and how your real race really begins at mile 20 onwards. So much learned and so much I will bring with me in 3 months to my next race.

Bring it on, Dopey. I am ready for you.

Congratulations!!

It was tough going from 22 miles training run to running the full 26. I didn't realize how much you struggle in those last 4 miles and how your real race really begins at mile 20 onwards. So much learned and so much I will bring with me in 3 months to my next race.

Congratulations!!! First marathon is so exciting!!

Congrats!!!!! So exciting! you will do amazing! :)

Congrats, awesome job! You'll smash Dopey!

@courtneybeth Congrats on that first marathon!

As far as Disney costumes, great timing for that question. We just finalized our Halloween costumes and are going as Jack and Sally from the Nightmare before Christmas.

Congratulations! Avoid all stairs today! :)

Congratulations!!

Congratulations! Which one did you do?

Congratulations!!! First marathon memories are very special. Especially after time has passed...

Oh my gosh...so exciting!!!!! I'm so scared!!!!

Congratulations!!! First marathon memories are very special. Especially after time has passed...

I agree,the excitement that comes with your first full is unmatched.There's still a video I watch on YouTube every now and then to relive those first marathon memories.Its special to me not only because the runners(Adam and Franze), give a first hand account of everything going on but that I actually show up in the video at mile 19 and at the finish line as we get our medals,I ran next to them for a good chunk of the race yet I don't remember seeing them while running.That was the 2013 Disney full 20th anniversary,and I still follow him on YouTube to a degree and was glad to hear they'll be running their second full this January to get the 25th anniversary medal.I've run the Disney full every year since that 20th and will be running my overall 8th full,here's the video.

Southwest Fliers - check those flights! New sale released today. Was ready to spend an extra $28 to change my flight to an earlier flight but today it dropped to $117 (from $153!) so I ended up saving a few bucks! Woohoo!

I'm starting to feel jinxed for the marathon, 8 weeks ago tomorrow I fell running spraining both arms & a hand, almost healed still some pain, but then last night I trip and somehow fall backwards into the corner of a filing cabinet (saved my arms with just a cut). It feels/looks like I was hit with a baseball bat. Never before fallen so bad & 2 now....ugh! so just a walk of .75 today to at least do something but it's freezing & rainy anyway so oh well. Time for a bubble wrap suit!

I got some bad news that my BRF misread the POT date and didn't hers in in time. She feels terrible, and since this was always about us signing up together and having a fun weekend together, I feel like I should drop back with her whatever corral she ends up. Also, it just gives me another excuse to do marathon weekend again sometime! ;) Anyone run marathon in the back corral? Were the character lines out of control? Do you think riding Everest or anything else is out of the question now?

I got some bad news that my BRF misread the POT date and didn't hers in in time. She feels terrible, and since this was always about us signing up together and having a fun weekend together, I feel like I should drop back with her whatever corral she ends up. Also, it just gives me another excuse to do marathon weekend again sometime! ;) Anyone run marathon in the back corral? Were the character lines out of control? Do you think riding Everest or anything else is out of the question now?
In 2016 I did not start in the back but finished in a clock of 7ish and character lines weren't bad the 2nd half when I was mixed in with corral P-ers. I remember wide world of sports characters lines having maybe 5 people.

I don't have any first-hand experience but it's going to depend a lot on your pace. For ex, if you run a 13mm pace instead of 16mm that gives you almost a 80 min buffer. That's if in fact you're in the very last corral, otherwise the buffer could be more. Did your friend enter a time that required POT?

Agree with @cavepig the character lines will probably be bad early in the run, but on the marathon by the time you get to the second half, lines drop dramatically. We also haven't started in the back, but we stop so much we always end up surrounded by much later corral folks. As long as your moving pace is well below the 16 min/mile pace, you should still be fine to make multiple stops. If you want to ride Everest, I'd recommend stopping minimally in the beginning to gain some time. Last year at least, they were shuffling runners to the single rider line and at least by the time I got there (probably 20-25 minutes after park open) it was a pretty long line and I didn't want to wait that long. If you can pace yourself to try and be at AK as close to open as possible, I think you could manage to ride and then hit lots of pictures after AK. I'd still take my time through MK because, hello?, MK but otherwise just keep on moving down the road.

Last year at least, they were shuffling runners to the single rider line and at least by the time I got there (probably 20-25 minutes after park open) it was a pretty long line and I didn't want to wait that long. If you can pace yourself to try and be at AK as close to open as possible, I think you could manage to ride and then hit lots of pictures after AK. I'd still take my time through MK because, hello?, MK but otherwise just keep on moving down the road.

If you start in corral P and wanted to hit Everest as the park was opening (9:00am), then you would need to run about an 11:00 min/mile to the 13.1 mile mark. These calculations assume the course does not change dramatically prior to Everest.

Math
Corral P starts at 6:35am
AK opens at 9:00am
Pace to make 13.1 miles in 2:25 is an 11:00 min/mile (+/- a few seconds) *technically arriving at 8:59:06

Let me know if you'd like me to make any other calculations as my spreadsheet can do it pretty quick to any major milestone on any of the marathon weekend courses.

If you start in corral P and wanted to hit Everest as the park was opening (9:00am), then you would need to run about an 11:00 min/mile to the 13.1 mile mark. These calculations assume the course does not change dramatically prior to Everest.

Math
Corral P starts at 6:35am
AK opens at 9:00am
Pace to make 13.1 miles in 2:25 is an 11:00 min/mile (+/- a few seconds) *technically arriving at 8:59:06

Let me know if you'd like me to make any other calculations as my spreadsheet can do it pretty quick to any major milestone on any of the marathon weekend courses.

I was literally typing a question wondering about this type of math as I got a notification about a new post to the thread:) Any idea what time H starts? Is there any reason to think the course will change significantly this year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter