Marathon Weekend 2018

I don't arrive until Friday Jan 5 so my fastpass window opened today. I was shocked to find I could get FoP no problem for Sunday the 7th in the evening. But now that I think about it maybe it makes sense: am I going to be able to cram my legs into that seat position after running a marathon?!?! :scared1: Am I the only person fearless/crazy enough to attempt that ride on marathon Sunday?

I’ve got mine scheduled for that evening too. I’d like to try stand by at some point to see the queue. 2-3 hours this morning wasn’t happening.

Tomorrow's my FP day so I'm excited to see what we can get :) But if we can't get FOP, I'm ok with that and will just try to go last thing in the evening so that we can at least see the queue.

As far as dessert parties, I have both HEA and the Star Wars parties booked for January :) If I had to pick one, I think I'd go with Star Wars.

Apologize if this is already posted but can someone tell me when the runners will receive their corral number/start time? Not having this info is making planning a little challenging.
Thanks!!

Apologize if this is already posted but can someone tell me when the runners will receive their corral number/start time? Not having this info is making planning a little challenging.
Thanks!!

2-3 weeks before race day, so, about mid-December.

Thanks!!

Usually two weeks or so before the race. You can use last year's information as a guideline if you need to schedule things now. The corral assignments and start times typically do not very much from year to year.

Usually two weeks or so before the race. You can use last year's information as a guideline if you need to schedule things now. The corral assignments and start times typically do not very much from year to year.
Thank you!

Guys, I am so excited. I've been doing the Galloway plan, but had a flare up with Crohn's and had to skip 6 weeks in August-Sept. As of this weekend, I am officially back on track! I ran 20 miles on Saturday and only briefly thought about vomiting, so I am counting it as a success. First (slash only) marathon, here I come!

We did rope drop for Flight of Passage one morning, in part because we wanted to see the queue. It turns out that we were too quick, because they bypassed all the interesting stuff and we got right onto the ride! :)
Yeah they tend to do that in the morning.

I wasn't aware you were a run/walker. The paces (more specifically the long run pace) was quoted as a continuous runner using Hal Higdon. But if you're run/walking with a current fitness of a 2:28 HM, then I'd defer to the Galloway Long Run recommendation of +2 minutes from Marathon Tempo.

NOOOOOOOO I CAN'T SLOW DOWN ANY MORE :rotfl2:

In all seriousness though, you're the best. Thank you. :worship:

We did rope drop for Flight of Passage one morning, in part because we wanted to see the queue. It turns out that we were too quick, because they bypassed all the interesting stuff and we got right onto the ride! :)
Good to know! We are going to head there one morning first, wonder if we should do River first or will the standby for FOP get real bad in that time. Oh or ride FOP then ride it again to hopefully see all the que? This FOP stuff is too complicated hahaha! I need a trainig plan just to prepare for it!

I wouldn't make any judgments on what you feel like you could do for marathon weekend based on your fitness right now. Are you on a marathon training plan? If so, most of them run about 18 weeks. You're only halfway through the training. So you're now at the midpoint of your marathon training and you can comfortably run half marathons close to PBs. My advice is to keep doing what you're doing, as it's obviously worked to this point. Trust the training plan and don't talk yourself out of what's been working before you give it a chance.

Thanks to all of you for your advice... I haven't been following a training program yet, because I was training for W&D and it looked like if I could comfortably run a half 9 weeks before the full I would be on track. And I am.

I am planning on following roughly the Hidgon plan because of the timing of the long runs, but using run/walk/run. It is a bit scary though to think that I have never run longer than 13.1 miles, and I am going to have to do that repeatedly over the next two months, in the snow or on the treadmill (I'm Canadian!). I will just try to tackle things one run at a time, and slow down when running, as others have suggested.

Thanks to all of you for your advice... I haven't been following a training program yet, because I was training for W&D and it looked like if I could comfortably run a half 9 weeks before the full I would be on track. And I am.

I am planning on following roughly the Hidgon plan because of the timing of the long runs, but using run/walk/run. It is a bit scary though to think that I have never run longer than 13.1 miles, and I am going to have to do that repeatedly over the next two months, in the snow or on the treadmill (I'm Canadian!). I will just try to tackle things one run at a time, and slow down when running, as others have suggested.
You can do it! I tell people that are thinking about running marathons, that looking at the whole distance seems daunting, but when you look at it week to week - each week you are usually only adding one or two miles more than your previous run. And when you think about it from that perspective, it makes it seem much more manageable.

I’m now trying one of @DopeyBadger’s plans, and I’m really going to have to trust the training. My long run doesn’t exceed 14 miles. But from all the comments and looking into it, I know it will work!

Two months till marathon day!!!
So freaking excited! I just wish it wasn't so cold for training, it aggrivates every old injury.

You can do it! I tell people that are thinking about running marathons, that looking at the whole distance seems daunting, but when you look at it week to week - each week you are usually only adding one or two miles more than your previous run. And when you think about it from that perspective, it makes it seem much more manageable.

I’m now trying one of @DopeyBadger’s plans, and I’m really going to have to trust the training. My long run doesn’t exceed 14 miles. But from all the comments and looking into it, I know it will work!
Oh, yes to thinking of it in small segments. Even though I run for time on long runs, I play math mind games the whole run, get 6 in, then just 4 more & I'm at 10, then add 3, oh 13 already...then just 4 oh it's already 17 or even smaller chunks, anything to keep the mind from dreading it.

I just finished a DopeyBadger plan on Sunday with my second marathon. I topped out at a 15-mile long run. I, too, was skeptical!

However, while I didn't finish in the time I wanted (weather, pouring rain for 9 miles, blah blah), I actually felt very well-trained even going 11 miles longer than I did in training. At two days post marathon, my soreness is already much less than I expected!

I just finished a DopeyBadger plan on Sunday with my second marathon. I topped out at a 15-mile long run. I, too, was skeptical!

However, while I didn't finish in the time I wanted (weather, pouring rain for 9 miles, blah blah), I actually felt very well-trained even going 11 miles longer than I did in training. At two days post marathon, my soreness is already much less than I expected!

PS - Time to change that Marathon PR in your Signature! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter