Marathon Weekend 2018

Random question for yall. If money was not a factor, what resort would you stay at for marathon weekend? What resort would be the easiest for one parent to get two small children to the finish line area at Epcot? Boardwalk or the Contemporary, or somewhere else?
Monorail resort (specifically Grand Floridian) for ease of getting to the finish line area - monorail to Epcot, get off at Epcot entrance and walk to the finish. Bonus - easier to finagle a stroller off/on the monorail if the kiddos are still in strollers.

Second choice would be an Epcot resort, but if they're going to the finish line they'd either have to take a race weekend bus there, or walk through Epcot (would need a park ticket) to get to the finish area (or they bag going to the finish area and catch you during the 25th mile, which is personally my choice for people spectating the marathon).

I hope AccuWeather is way wrong!

Again, hush you!

Random question for yall. If money was not a factor, what resort would you stay at for marathon weekend? What resort would be the easiest for one parent to get two small children to the finish line area at Epcot? Boardwalk or the Contemporary, or somewhere else?

I'd stay right where we've stayed the past few race weekends: Beach Club. Super convenient to our favorite parks and watering holes, and a very easy drive on race mornings. Poly is my favorite resort, but it's not quite as convenient during race mornings as the Epcot area.

My 2 preferences would be the Poly or the Yacht Club. Although any of the monorail resorts or Epcot resorts would work. My reason being you would not have to fold up the stroller or strollers and try keeping an eye on the little ones while doing so. Though Epcot's resorts would be a no go if you don't have park tickets to walk thru.

The additional bonus of the Poly as far as monorail resorts is you don’t have to switch at the TTC. You can walk there and get directly on the Epcot monorail.

Last edited:
Where is everyone eating after the marathon?

Right now I have an Ohana reservation at 4 and a BOG reservation at 7:30.

I'm thinking of switching to an earlier lunch time - Whispering Canyon and Liberty Tree are both available around 1 and 2.

That way I can eat and then not have to leave/interrupt park time. Ohana - love but it's expensive and my mom doesn't really eat enough to justify the cost and the all you can eat factor. I really want to do BOG dinner, but then we would miss the new fireworks display - and that's our only planned MK night, though we could probably see them on Friday and skip Fantasmic.
I also have a 4 pm 'Ohana reservation. We will have 8 people in our dining party. Can't wait. Hopefully I am celebrating completing my first marathon (and Dopey!).

As for dinner have California Grille at 5:45. It works good as it is DH first marathon. I too have learned that distance can play with an appetite. If I am hungry entrees and if not flat breads and sushi.

Do they give out those thermal mylar blankets at the expo or anything? Or should I order on Amazon?
they haven’t given them out at the expo in the past. In fact they don’t always give them out at the finish. If you want one and they aren’t giving them out to everyone, you can go by the med tent which is on the right just after you get your medal and they will have them there to give out.

Where is everyone eating after the marathon?

Right now I have an Ohana reservation at 4 and a BOG reservation at 7:30.

I'm thinking of switching to an earlier lunch time - Whispering Canyon and Liberty Tree are both available around 1 and 2.

That way I can eat and then not have to leave/interrupt park time. Ohana - love but it's expensive and my mom doesn't really eat enough to justify the cost and the all you can eat factor. I really want to do BOG dinner, but then we would miss the new fireworks display - and that's our only planned MK night, though we could probably see them on Friday and skip Fantasmic.
We are at Ohana as our post marathon tradition

We’ve stayed at Boardwalk, Poly and Contemporary. Boardwalk is nice but it’s location really only helped for the full. I prefer the Contemporary or the Poly. Poly is more convenient on the mornings of the half and full because you don’t have to switch monorails, but the Contemprary is more convenient for getting to the Magic Kingdom. Grand Floridian is nice but it’s not walking distance to the TTC or the magic kingdom so in my opinion, transportation wise it’s the worst Monorail resort.

I'm hoping for 40s too! 45 is my favorite running temp :) I'm much more nervous that it will be too hot and I will melt into a gross sticky puddle.

We have a 5 pm reservation at Frontera in Disney Springs in an effort to force me to keep walking. We don't have park tickets for that day and I think I might otherwise be tempted to not leave our hotel.

Quick race day question: Is it easy to get from the Contemporary to Main Street for spectators? My boyfriend has never been to Disney (gasp) and I'm worried he won't be able to find me.

Quick race day question: Is it easy to get from the Contemporary to Main Street for spectators? My boyfriend has never been to Disney (gasp) and I'm worried he won't be able to find me.

Easy peasy - just tell him to walk out of the hotel and follow the signs (not that he'll really need them) across the street to Magic Kingdom!

Beach Club is my first choice for any weekend but for bringing young kids to the finish line without making your way through Epcot to get there I would go with something on the monorail.

@SunDial is your brother @SunSpot ? I ask because he is coming to our fort dismeet on Friday. He said his brother is running dopey. If so come join us we have pot luck at 12:30 on Friday. Just funny to me as my forum site come smashing together.

Yes @SunSpot is my brother. I will come over and meet everyone there. I am also meeting quite a few runners over at Hurricane Hannah's at the Beach Club at 2pm that Friday.

I'm hoping for 40s too! 45 is my favorite running temp :) I'm much more nervous that it will be too hot and I will melt into a gross sticky puddle.

We have a 5 pm reservation at Frontera in Disney Springs in an effort to force me to keep walking. We don't have park tickets for that day and I think I might otherwise be tempted to not leave our hotel.

From what I have heard, it's very easy to get from the Contemporary to Main Street - you just walk. From the other resorts it will be a tad more difficult but still doable.

And I agree that 45 is the perfect running temp. I would rather have it at 30 degrees than 70 degrees. You can always add more layers. For Wine & Dine this year it was like 69 and 100% humidity. Just awful.

Beach Club is our favorite resort. Easy and convenient to both Epcot and DHS, and you can't beat the pool when the temps are right.

My wife and I will be in the villas this time for our kid free Dopey trip. We plan on hitting three parks after the 5K on Thursday. Magic Kingdom at opening through lunch, AK in the afternoon, and DHS for dinner and maybe Star Wars that evening. It's then an easy walk back from DHS if the boats look too crazy.

Dh and I have a date night at Yachtsman for after the marathon. If I'm not too exhausted, we'll go over to Jellyrolls after!
We are doing Hoop de Doo the night before the marathon. Probably not a great idea for a pre-marathon meal, but we will be celebrating my son's half marathon I guess. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter