Marathon Weekend 2018

Hi!

Just signed up for the WDW marathon :D I am so excited - but also a bit nervous about it. I'm not a huge fan of running, but I'm a huge fan of Disney and after I did the half in DLP last year I was completely hooked on rundisney races. A few weeks ago I booked a stay at WDW just after new years and I quickly found out that I would be there during the marathon weekend. Since all the other races were sold out my only option was the full marathon. I'm overweight and in pretty bad shape, but I took the chance and signed up. I now have 6 months to get in shape to finish! Wish me luck!

I'll also jump in and introduce myself to the best forum on the board! :D I've lurked for a little while as well, just trying to wrap my brain around what I've gotten myself into. This will be my first runDisney event, but I know I'm going to be addicted because I've already caught myself thinking "well I could get to California later in the year to get a Coast to Coast medal..."

Anyway, I'm doing the half marathon in January and so excited! And a little scared. But mostly excited. I'm running a 10k on the 4th of July to possibly get my proof of time, but I also have a race in September so we'll see which of my times is better. Fingers crossed!!

Weird question: what is the breakfast situation (if any) at the resorts on race mornings? I want to make sure I'm training with whatever I'll be able to eat on race day so I don't have to risk trying something new. Seems weird to be thinking about that six months in advance, but then again next week is when we can start booking ADRs for our post-race meals so maybe it's not so weird after all.

Weird question: what is the breakfast situation (if any) at the resorts on race mornings? I want to make sure I'm training with whatever I'll be able to eat on race day so I don't have to risk trying something new. Seems weird to be thinking about that six months in advance, but then again next week is when we can start booking ADRs for our post-race meals so maybe it's not so weird after all.
They only sell grab and go stuff at the foodcourts early before the marathon, I think most open early at 3:00 maybe. They don't serve hot food as far as I've ever seen, but coffee should be going at the drink station area. They have runner's boxes with a bagel, peanut butter, banana & water bottle. You can also buy them night before or any other items like bread, fruit, muffins etc as well the night before. We bring our breakfast stuff and I buy a couple boxes of Entemman donuts from the gift shop, so I eat that morning the same stuff that I have trained with and run with before.

Hi!

Just signed up for the WDW marathon :D I am so excited - but also a bit nervous about it. I'm not a huge fan of running, but I'm a huge fan of Disney and after I did the half in DLP last year I was completely hooked on rundisney races. A few weeks ago I booked a stay at WDW just after new years and I quickly found out that I would be there during the marathon weekend. Since all the other races were sold out my only option was the full marathon. I'm overweight and in pretty bad shape, but I took the chance and signed up. I now have 6 months to get in shape to finish! Wish me luck!

Welcome to the madness. 6 months is plenty of time to get ready, just find a solid training plan and stick with it. Marathon weekend is great. I've done a few other runDisney race weekends, but there's something special about marathon weekend.
I'll also jump in and introduce myself to the best forum on the board! :D I've lurked for a little while as well, just trying to wrap my brain around what I've gotten myself into. This will be my first runDisney event, but I know I'm going to be addicted because I've already caught myself thinking "well I could get to California later in the year to get a Coast to Coast medal..."

Anyway, I'm doing the half marathon in January and so excited! And a little scared. But mostly excited. I'm running a 10k on the 4th of July to possibly get my proof of time, but I also have a race in September so we'll see which of my times is better. Fingers crossed!!

Don't tell the other forums we are the best. They might get jealous!

I've only stayed at a Disney resort once so far on marathon weekend (Beach Club) and they did open up the quick service area early with some limited boxed items if I recall correctly. We picked up some cereal and milk the night before and ate in our room.

Just a quick question - how long are the lines for characters and bathrooms? (and do they seem longer/shorter than they really are?)

My goal is to not being swept and finish in under 7 hours. But I'm unsure of what pace I should aim for, if I want to stop for a photo and maybe use the bathroom a few times?

Just a quick question - how long are the lines for characters and bathrooms? (and do they seem longer/shorter than they really are?)

My goal is to not being swept and finish in under 7 hours. But I'm unsure of what pace I should aim for, if I want to stop for a photo and maybe use the bathroom a few times?
For the marathon the character stops are shorter in the second half of the race than on the beginning.

Which way does the MARATHON run through World Showcase; which pavillion do we enter next to and which side do we exit out of?

Just trying to plan my "spectators" Epcot touring plan leading up to hopefully seeing me in WS.

They only sell grab and go stuff at the foodcourts early before the marathon, I think most open early at 3:00 maybe.

When we stayed at POP Century, the food court was open early. At POFQ, it was not open early on race mornings. Not sure if this was a difference of years or which resort.

Best bet is to bring your own, or get a box the night before.

Which way does the MARATHON run through World Showcase; which pavillion do we enter next to and which side do we exit out of?

Just trying to plan my "spectators" Epcot touring plan leading up to hopefully seeing me in WS.

Enter by U.K. I believe and run across the bridge through Mexico to future world to the finish.

That's how it looks in the 2017 maps. The runners come from DHS across BC/YC to the International Gateway. Then run to UK, and go south to France(?) (that sounds weird), then the runners then go counterclockwise to Mexico before heading straight to the huge Golf Ball (Spaceship Earth) and out the parking lot to the finish line.

So for the spectators, have them meet you at the UK pavilon, and as you turn right, they run back towards Canada and Future World.

When we stayed at POP Century, the food court was open early. At POFQ, it was not open early on race mornings. Not sure if this was a difference of years or which resort.

Best bet is to bring your own, or get a box the night before.
Interesting French Quarter wasn't, I guess I just I assumed they all opened early. I guess it's up to the manager maybe.

Anyone else remember any resorts not opening up early before the marathon?

All depends on when you start, how fast you are and where in the race you are. It does seem characters early on have longer lines, like the Nightmare Before Christmas characters always looked like a long line when I went by starting in the middle & they were before TTC when I ran it, I think, correct me anyone if I'm wrong on that spot. Lines should move fast as they don't sign, but still can get long, I guess each person takes what 20 seconds, maybe a little more, so if you can't see the end of the line, it's probably going to be a longer wait. More popular or rare characters can have longer lines it seems. But near the later parts it does seem lines are shorter. Oh & characters do go on quick snack breaks, so that can add line time as the grab something real quick ;)

In 2015 a few of my stops in the first half took around 8-10 minutes, one was a huge villain group (which they haven't done since then) and the other was golf Goofy and Donald. But then like Chip and Dale at Wide World of Sports, so around mile 18/19, was like 0 wait. I was middle of the pack with a clock of like 5:20something that year.

But, in 2016 I was back of the pack during the race even though I started in F, and I finally stopped for Boo in Studios with like a 1 minute line and Scrooge at EPCOT like 30 seconds wait. Lines at wide world for characters looked to be a couple minutes long but I skipped as I was so wanting under 7 & did barely with 6:50 net time & clock time 7:04. So I would say if you can bank some time early on keeping under 16, then in the later half you should be able to grab a short character line or 2 & be fine not getting swept. Characters are in park and on the roads too, so they are spread out all over.

As for bathrooms, some can be long and some not, I try to only use the in park ones and have been lucky and not had to wait. In 2015 I stopped at portapoties really early, like before mile 2 and it was at least a 5 minute wait, so now I just wait till in park. In 2016 I used some Frontierland ones and it was empty. Wide World of Sports I remember having lines in 2016, but I really have no idea how large those are inside as I skipped them. It seems everyone darts of early on to the portapotties or bushes to go after waiting in the corrals so long, so if you can hold it awhile lines should be better.

But of course my observations will vary with others based on where they ran in the race & what years even. @Ariel484 & @ZellyB have great trip reports from the 2017 marathon with lots of character stops that might be worth reading to get an idea!

Last edited:
All depends on when you start, how fast you are and where in the race you are. It does seem characters early on have longer lines, like the Nightmare Before Christmas characters always looked like a long line when I went by starting in the middle & they were before TTC when I ran it, I think, correct me anyone if I'm wrong on that spot. Lines should move fast as they don't sign, but still can get long, I guess each person takes what 20 seconds, maybe a little more, so if you can't see the end of the line, it's probably going to be a longer wait. More popular or rare characters can have longer lines it seems. But near the later parts it does seem lines are shorter. Oh & characters do go on quick snack breaks, so that can add line time as the grab something real quick ;)

In 2015 a few of my stops in the first half took around 8-10 minutes, one was a huge villain group (which they haven't done since then) and the other was golf Goofy and Donald. But then like Chip and Dale at Wide World of Sports, so around mile 18/19, was like 0 wait. I was middle of the pack with a clock of like 5:20something that year.

But, in 2016 I was back of the pack during the race even though I started in F, and I finally stopped for Boo in Studios with like a 1 minute line and Scrooge at EPCOT like 30 seconds wait. Lines at wide world for characters looked to be a couple minutes long but I skipped as I was so wanting under 7 & did barely with 6:50 net time & clock time 7:04. So I would say if you can bank some time early on keeping under 16, then in the later half you should be able to grab a short character line or 2 & be fine not getting swept. Characters are in park and on the roads too, so they are spread out all over.

As for bathrooms, some can be long and some not, I try to only use the in park ones and have been lucky and not had to wait. In 2015 I stopped at portapoties really early, like before mile 2 and it was at least a 5 minute wait, so now I just wait till in park. In 2016 I used some Frontierland ones and it was empty. Wide World of Sports I remember having lines in 2016, but I really have no idea how large those are inside as I skipped them. It seems everyone darts of early on to the portapotties or bushes to go after waiting in the corrals so long, so if you can hold it awhile lines should be better.

But of course my observations will vary with others based on where they ran in the race & what years even. @Ariel484 & @ZellyB have great trip reports from the 2017 marathon with lots of character stops that might be worth reading to get an idea!

Well only because of the moderator. :)

The longest character line I waited in was 15 min! For golf Donald and Goofy. Most others early in the race are 5-10 minutes. As others have said in the later miles like Aninal Kingdom on, the lines are much shorter.

Oh also on bathrooms if you can wait until later in the race bathroom lines are also much shorter. I've had to wait awhile before in TTC and magic kingdom but walked right in Animal kingdom.

Thank you so so much!!! :)

Got all but one of the dining reservations I wanted for Marathon weekend. And for some reason I was able to book marathon sunday, which i didnt think would be available until tomorrow. Normal times for BOG dinner. Same with Cali Grill.

No mama melrose for Saturday after that half, so need to find something new for lunch that day. hmmmmmmmm

Guess its time to start running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter