Marathon Weekend 2018

Personally I found the race retreat perk worth it and actually need to check if I'm good to get it again. I got there around 10 via taxi (they do have buses but I got tired of waiting and finally just waved a taxi down and shared a ride with a couple of fellow Race Retreat runners) and was walking out of ESPN with everything, bib, merchandise, even a shirt I bought from a vendor, by the time it opened to the general public at noon. The not waiting 3 hours to get in was great.

On the other hand I have yet to do any of the Disneyland VIP experiences. I think their biggest perk besides early opening is Photopass. And since its not 3 hours of waiting at Disneyland I don't see a point in doing their VIP.

I did the race retreat/early expo for Dopey last year, and I'll say this about that. I had race retreat and my son did not - he was only running the 5K. The checkpoints for packet pickup were at the Field House and Jostens Center. I picked up all my Dopey stuff. Then we picked up my son's 5K stuff outside of Champion Stadium and went to Jostens to get his shirt.

He's tiny and it was just the two of us, so they allowed him to go into the Field House and Jostens Center with me without a race retreat bracelet. But the point is, the 5K pick-up outside of Champion Stadium - where ID is needed for bib pickup - was free and clear. No checking of race retreat bracelets or anything. It looked like anyone could walk up and pick up 5K bibs with ID, even if they didn't have the race retreat bracelet. And if one person has entry to Jostens, they can pick up another person's 5K shirt without ID. At least I think so - I've gone in to get my husband's shirt in the past when he's had it with the expo and already presented ID to pick up his bib.

I don't know if this would work out next year, but that was our experience.

I did the race retreat/early expo for Dopey last year, and I'll say this about that. I had race retreat and my son did not - he was only running the 5K. The checkpoints for packet pickup were at the Field House and Jostens Center. I picked up all my Dopey stuff. Then we picked up my son's 5K stuff outside of Champion Stadium and went to Jostens to get his shirt.

He's tiny and it was just the two of us, so they allowed him to go into the Field House and Jostens Center with me without a race retreat bracelet. But the point is, the 5K pick-up outside of Champion Stadium - where ID is needed for bib pickup - was free and clear. No checking of race retreat bracelets or anything. It looked like anyone could walk up and pick up 5K bibs with ID, even if they didn't have the race retreat bracelet. And if one person has entry to Jostens, they can pick up another person's 5K shirt without ID. At least I think so - I've gone in to get my husband's shirt in the past when he's had it with the expo and already presented ID to pick up his bib.

I don't know if this would work out next year, but that was our experience.

I appreciate the report. It gives me stuff to think about, and actually makes me feel quite a bit more at ease.

From what you're saying, it seems that the reason for the RR wristband checking is the merchandise area. They probably don't care as much about people just grabbing bibs, especially if they're away from all the merch. They just don't want non RR people to grab all the merchandise, knowing some of it will just end up on eBay that afternoon (ack!)

Edit: I looked at the 2017 expo maps, and remembered what @rteetz told me, and the 5k/10k pickup is at the Champion Stadium, not at the field house nor Jostens. There's no official runDisney merchandise vendor at the baseball diamond, which may make it more lax in letting people in early.

Last edited:
Another few questions from me :rolleyes1

1) I have a memory maker, will I be able to get my race photos linked to that? Or do I need to pay extra?

2) Are there a lot of photographers along the route or just a few (Castle, finish)?

3) How and when do I sign up for the NB queue at the expo? Will I be assigned a special time or can I go anytime anyday?

4) Has any of you walked or ran with a small powerbank? Since I'm planning on walking most of the marathon, I expect that my phone could run out of power if I listen to music, take pics and videos and so on for 7 hours.

5) Is there a facebook group for the marathon weekend '18?

Thanks! :worship:

1) I have a memory maker, will I be able to get my race photos linked to that? Or do I need to pay extra?

2) Are there a lot of photographers along the route or just a few (Castle, finish)?

3) How and when do I sign up for the NB queue at the expo? Will I be assigned a special time or can I go anytime anyday?

4) Has any of you walked or ran with a small powerbank? Since I'm planning on walking most of the marathon, I expect that my phone could run out of power if I listen to music, take pics and videos and so on for 7 hours.

1. You can link your photos with memory maker. Instructions on that are on the back of the bib.

2. There are a good amount. Not every character stop will have them tho.

3. NB Queue will come out the day prior to the expo and give you a time to come. No guarantee they will have the virtual queue tho...

4. I haven't. I ran with my phone during the marathon but didn't listen to music. My phone fortunately did not die.

5. There is a Dopey Challenge group not sure on overall 2018. There are tons of rundisney groups tho.

4) Yes. I also run with a small camel pack so I just stick the power pack in with the bladder and run the cord out. For races before I ran with the camel pack, i would just carry it.

I don't do character stops and I'm not a camera hog, although I have run multiple years and tend to remember where the photographers are and possibly gravitate toward them.

In the 2015 full, I set a PR of around 50 pictures, including pre and post race. So there are plenty of photographers.

Now that Photopass does the photos the on course photographers usually are easy to spot as they have little green tents by them and when it's dark there are big lights they use. On course action shot photographers are in the parks at multiple spots but not out on the open road and usually will be on both sides of the streets. Since they are easy to spot, there are some folks who love to camera hog and run up and jump so just be aware of your surroundings to either not get tripped up or trip up someone. Then characters stops have them, but like Rteetz said not all character stops will have them, so then it's nice to have you phone or own camera as the CMs will use those for you.

Nope, no extra juice here. I use an iPhone 6, running the iSmoothRun app synced with iTunes for music, plus taking pics with it and sending a few texts - I was close to 7 hours of continual use in this year's marathon and only went to 40% battery. The key is turning off all other apps, turning off cellular data, and locking the screen so it's not burning when unneeded.

I appreciate the report. It gives me stuff to think about, and actually makes me feel quite a bit more at ease.

From what you're saying, it seems that the reason for the RR wristband checking is the merchandise area. They probably don't care as much about people just grabbing bibs, especially if they're away from all the merch. They just don't want non RR people to grab all the merchandise, knowing some of it will just end up on eBay that afternoon (ack!)

Edit: I looked at the 2017 expo maps, and remembered what @rteetz told me, and the 5k/10k pickup is at the Champion Stadium, not at the field house nor Jostens. There's no official runDisney merchandise vendor at the baseball diamond, which may make it more lax in letting people in early.

Yes! The 5K pick up was outside the perimeter of Champion Stadium - not even inside the stadium. It was sort of out in the open and very accessible, with no checkpoint or area for people to be let in. The people lining up to get into the Field House at noon could have easily just walked up to grab 5K bibs, I would think. Definitely need the race retreat bracelet to get into Field House, so I don't think anyone could get bibs of any kind or sort inside the Field House without the bracelets. (I think they sell merchandise in there too - so that would be consistent with your theory!)

I usually run long races with a power bank. That being said...I lost my cord on the walk to the corrals this year and found myself with out an essential piece for charging my phone. I had to close every app in my phone and be careful about how much music I listened to but I managed not to kill my battery. The need for one depends on how much you know your going to need it (music, communicating with friends, etc.).

There's no specific running group for the marathon that I know of. But there are some fairly decent sized running groups on Facebook. runDisneyrun is one of the better ones I've encountered.

Re, No. 2: I found there to be quite a few photographers along the route. I can recall MK @ the castle, AK, ESPN, the walkway between HS and Epcot and the finish line, plus a post-finish photog. I had quite a few photos I was happy with and the photogs are easily spotted.

Re, No. 4: I haven't used a powerbank, but I HIGHLY recommend leaving the headphones at the hotel room for this race. I trained with music, but went without for the marathon. There is so much to listen to and enjoy along the route - spectators, bands, DJs, etc. The ambiance adds so much to the race.

1. You can link your photos with memory maker. Instructions on that are on the back of the bib.

2. There are a good amount. Not every character stop will have them tho.

3. NB Queue will come out the day prior to the expo and give you a time to come. No guarantee they will have the virtual queue tho...

4. I haven't. I ran with my phone during the marathon but didn't listen to music. My phone fortunately did not die.

5. There is a Dopey Challenge group not sure on overall 2018. There are tons of rundisney groups tho.

Thanks! Glad to hear that I won't need to pay extra for the race photos ;)
I'll look out for info about the expo - I really want a pair of the NB shoes!!!

4) Yes. I also run with a small camel pack so I just stick the power pack in with the bladder and run the cord out. For races before I ran with the camel pack, i would just carry it.

Can you recommend a lightweight powerbank?

I don't do character stops and I'm not a camera hog, although I have run multiple years and tend to remember where the photographers are and possibly gravitate toward them.

In the 2015 full, I set a PR of around 50 pictures, including pre and post race. So there are plenty of photographers.

Thats actually more photos than I thought you could get - that's great! I like to have the photographers take photos along the route and of course at the finish line, but at character stops I'm fine using my iPhone and also take photos of the route myself.

Now that Photopass does the photos the on course photographers usually are easy to spot as they have little green tents by them and when it's dark there are big lights they use. On course action shot photographers are in the parks at multiple spots but not out on the open road and usually will be on both sides of the streets. Since they are easy to spot, there are some folks who love to camera hog and run up and jump so just be aware of your surroundings to either not get tripped up or trip up someone. Then characters stops have them, but like Rteetz said not all character stops will have them, so then it's nice to have you phone or own camera as the CMs will use those for you.

Thanks! It's good to now that they are easy to spot. I don't think I'll jump in front of the camera all the time though, but hope they catch a photo of me a few places.

Nope, no extra juice here. I use an iPhone 6, running the iSmoothRun app synced with iTunes for music, plus taking pics with it and sending a few texts - I was close to 7 hours of continual use in this year's marathon and only went to 40% battery. The key is turning off all other apps, turning off cellular data, and locking the screen so it's not burning when unneeded.

I'll attend the half marathon in DLP in September and I'll try to see how much power I have left. I can't remember it from last year, other than it didn't die. But I really don't think I used my phone that much. I only took a few photos and a short video, didn't listen to music. But this year I plan on being online snapping some pics for my family and friends, so I'll keep an eye on the power at the finish line to sort of estimate if I need the power bank at the marathon. Don't really want to carry it if I don't need it.

I usually run long races with a power bank. That being said...I lost my cord on the walk to the corrals this year and found myself with out an essential piece for charging my phone. I had to close every app in my phone and be careful about how much music I listened to but I managed not to kill my battery. The need for one depends on how much you know your going to need it (music, communicating with friends, etc.).

There's no specific running group for the marathon that I know of. But there are some fairly decent sized running groups on Facebook. runDisneyrun is one of the better ones I've encountered.

Oh, that sucks. Carrying for the entire distance without being able to use it.... Can you recommend a lightweight powerbank?
I've just joined the runDisneyrun group and actually found a group for first time Disney world marathon participants.

iPhone's low battery setting is a godsend here for this. I've been able to do long runs(16 miles) with Spotify streaming in the background and don't hit below 80%.

That's great! I'll have to test my iPhones battery on a long distance - as long as I don't play Pokemon Go I might have a chance :p

Re, No. 2: I found there to be quite a few photographers along the route. I can recall MK @ the castle, AK, ESPN, the walkway between HS and Epcot and the finish line, plus a post-finish photog. I had quite a few photos I was happy with and the photogs are easily spotted.

Re, No. 4: I haven't used a powerbank, but I HIGHLY recommend leaving the headphones at the hotel room for this race. I trained with music, but went without for the marathon. There is so much to listen to and enjoy along the route - spectators, bands, DJs, etc. The ambiance adds so much to the race.

So happy that there are many photographers!
I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to listening to music. Last year at the DLP half I had my headphones with me, but didn't use them at all. I was with my bff and we talked all the time and there was so much to see and listen to along the route. At the marathon I'll be on my own and I'm unsure if 7 hours is too long without music. But I guess there are a lot of things to listen too and feel the spirit the entire route so I might just leave them at the hotel.

Thanks! Glad to hear that I won't need to pay extra for the race photos ;)
I'll look out for info about the expo - I really want a pair of the NB shoes!!!

Can you recommend a lightweight powerbank?

Thats actually more photos than I thought you could get - that's great! I like to have the photographers take photos along the route and of course at the finish line, but at character stops I'm fine using my iPhone and also take photos of the route myself.

Thanks! It's good to now that they are easy to spot. I don't think I'll jump in front of the camera all the time though, but hope they catch a photo of me a few places.

I'll attend the half marathon in DLP in September and I'll try to see how much power I have left. I can't remember it from last year, other than it didn't die. But I really don't think I used my phone that much. I only took a few photos and a short video, didn't listen to music. But this year I plan on being online snapping some pics for my family and friends, so I'll keep an eye on the power at the finish line to sort of estimate if I need the power bank at the marathon. Don't really want to carry it if I don't need it.

Oh, that sucks. Carrying for the entire distance without being able to use it.... Can you recommend a lightweight powerbank?
I've just joined the runDisneyrun group and actually found a group for first time Disney world marathon participants.

That's great! I'll have to test my iPhones battery on a long distance - as long as I don't play Pokemon Go I might have a chance :p

So happy that there are many photographers!
I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes to listening to music. Last year at the DLP half I had my headphones with me, but didn't use them at all. I was with my bff and we talked all the time and there was so much to see and listen to along the route. At the marathon I'll be on my own and I'm unsure if 7 hours is too long without music. But I guess there are a lot of things to listen too and feel the spirit the entire route so I might just leave them at the hotel.

Force yourself to just enjoy your surroundings. There are some stretches I wish I had music, but it was worth it to go without.

Force yourself to just enjoy your surroundings. There are some stretches I wish I had music, but it was worth it to go without.

I do this! I've run two full marathons - one with a tiny ipod that I never turned on and the other without. I've been running all my races - from half marathons to 5Ks without music since the 2015 Disney marathon and I LOVE it. I also train without music now, unless I'm on the treadmill and chrome cast videos. Nice to enjoy surroundings, think about whatever and not have to worry about technology.

Coming to you very early or very late depending on how you look at it.

As always Sundays are for Disney! Today's question...

Other than the DIS how do you bring Disney into your daily life?

My answer: well I listen to numerous podcasts many of which centered around Disney. My phone case is Disney. I have my runDisney magnets on my car. Our kitchen has a Disney theme. I also have an Apple Watch and on it is the Mickey Mouse Watch face.

I've got a playlist in Google Music, my favorite one with movie songs from "Someday My Prince Will Come" all the way to "How Far I'll Go" from Moana.

I listen to a set of YouTube vlogs, from our friends at The DIS, DSNY Newscast for concise info about what's new at Disney, Rob Plays for trivia, and a few others. ResortTV1 is good to get background music from the parks and resorts. DFBGuide is fun to listen about food at Disney, but they've been getting long winded, lately.

I'll poke around The DIS' sister site, WDW Info, for news. I like touring plans website to try to arrange (and rearrange) my schedule in the parks. @kennythepirate has a great site to find all the characters around Disney (yes, I'm calling you out Kenny!)

I also have some Disney clothes, and poke around the official Shop Disney app for what's new. I'll also look about eBay for stuff where the authenticity isn't important.

I also look at the official Disney website to see if they've updated park hours for early January (why is MK closing at 9:00 on the 2nd?)

Sunday Answer: Disney movies and music have always been a big part of my life. I often have one of the other on. My brother has a Pixar devoted podcast, so there are many family discussions about Pixar/Disney haha I also listen to a few Disney parks podcasts that I enjoy. And I have car magnet from the runDisney race I did last year-- I'm always hoping to find a like minded rD fan out on the roads! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter