Marathon Weekend 2020

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 128 days away from Marathon Weekend!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, we just got some big announcements at D23, but what if you were in charge? What announcements would you make?

I'd announce the return of Disneyland races and also a nighttime race at WDW - something that would incorporate fireworks or light shows at the parks. Imagine running through MK with the fireworks going off.

I would also introduce a runDisney loyalty program that would give discounts for those who continue to run multiple race events. It would encourage runners to come back and reward those of us who continue to spend our hard-earned money down there.

Have a great week, everyone!

Last edited:
I would also introduce a runDisney loyalty program that would give discounts for those who continue to run multiple race events. It would encourage runners to come back and reward those of us who continue to spend our hard-earned money down there.

I’ve always wondered this. I’m flying down for all four race weekends, why not have something similar to the coast to coast medal for those that run multiple races or challenges. Or at least bring back the past participant discount.
That being said I would announce the brand new Villians park, which is of course where the new nighttime races would start and end

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 128 days away from Marathon Weekend!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, we just got some big announcements at D23, but what if you were in charge? What announcements would you make?

I'd announce the return of Disneyland races and also a nighttime race at WDW - something that would incorporate fireworks or light shows at the parks. Imagine running through MK with the fireworks going off.

I read this post quickly and thought that they had announced the return of Disneyland races. I was about to freak out. I really want them to come back.

I'd announce the following:
Bring back the Everest Challenge and the Tower of Terror 10k
Return of at least one Disneyland race weekend.
A Rock and Roll Marathon style of medal packages with many different medal combinations/bonus medals for doing different race combinations.
Bring Back Marathon Monday (park ticket)
Special Finisher Gear that is only available post race like NY or Chicago Marathon

Sundays are for Disney:

In general, I've been happy to see the progress Disney has announced recently. They are adding new attractions without announcing closures. That should relieve some of the stress on more popular attractions and shorten wait times around the parks (or, from their perspective, keep wait times the same as they allow more capacity). Either way, more things to do is a good thing.

I'll jump back on my soapbox and bring up that I believe their Star Wars vision was too narrow and they should have been looking at it as the focal point for a 5th gate. As I've also stated, I understand why that wasn't done.

I like all of the rD suggestions. I believe they should consider a loyalty program for Marathon Weekend for the Marathon, Goofy, Dopey, and possibly the Half. It does not appear that such incentives are needed for the shorter races, Princess, or Wine and Dine as of yet. I'm sure people would like discounts on those races and weekends, but there has to be some practical reason behind it beyond "we want to pay less." If it's just about paying less, I'd like to pay less for everything at Disney :laughing:.

I know it’s already been mentioned, but my first announcement would be the return of Wine & Dine as a night race. While I’m at it, let’s announce the return of the Osborne Family Lights! They don’t have to be at HS, anywhere on the Wine & Dine course will do. (Remember the rumor of them coming to Epcot?)

Brazil has been a rumored new country in World Showcase for years, but my third announcement would be the addition of Australia to the World Showcase! G’Day Mate!

This will be my first full marathon...I would love to know some Jedi Mind Tricks!

This one is lame but it is what I do. In years past I have done a fair number of marathons and ultramarathons and I simply don’t fixate on the miles or time. This is especially true with ultra marathons where a race on a very difficult trail could last most of the day or longer. I just accept that I am going to be out there a long time and just try to be present in the moment. This includes taking care of issues as they come up like digestive issues, blisters, etc. I just slowly resolve issues as they come up and adapt when needed. For example, if suddenly the day is 25 degrees hotter than you expected: drink more and adjust your pace- don’t expect to go your normal pace without running into issues. Adapt to the day you have, not the day you planned to have or the day you hoped to have. This doesn’t mean you don’t plan, but it just means to let all that anxiety of it go. Also, I think if you fixate on the miles or time too much, or if you fixate on the shear magnitude of the day, it becomes overwhelming. Think about all this stuff after, but when you are in it, I find it’s easier just think of it simply as a day of running around few hours.

In terms of runDisney I’d bring back Disneyland races. Never got to do any so I’d love the chance. In addition to that I’d add more entertainment to race courses and make wine and dine a night race again.

As for the parks themselves I’d revamp Dinoland in AK but keep dinosaur, I’d add more countries to world showcase, and I’d put the Main Street theater back on the table for MK.

My PT tells me all the time to “activate your glutes and hamstrings” and “don’t let your calves do all the work”. What does that even feel like? I have no idea how to do it!

I’ve been sitting here trying to figure out which muscles I activate. I think I tend to use The anterior muscles in my upoer legs and my calves if I’m not thinking about form. I think I’m basically involving the muscles I would use to jump. To engage my glutes and hamstrings I straighten up a little bit and focus more on pulling my legs back. I’m actually not sure whether it uses my glutes or hamstrings more though, and I still have to focus on my form to get that to happen.

SAFD --- Breaking News --- the OLD MARATHON START of a return thru EPCOT before heading to MK is being re-instituted resulting in the elimination of the dreadful/boring OUT-n-BACK between MK and AK.

If that happened I might think about coming out of retirement.

M&M McFlurry John
That announcement would really make my day.

SAFD:

I know this would be a step backwards and is really only a selfish nostalgia thing, but I would love to hear that they were restoring Journey into Imagination back to its original incarnation, as well as rebuilding World of Motion and Horizons. For me, Epcot has always been one of my favorites and I loved the old edutainment aspect about it. I think the new rides and stuff will be cool, but I still miss those rides as well as the overall Future World theming.

SAFD --- Breaking News --- the OLD MARATHON START of a return thru EPCOT before heading to MK is being re-instituted resulting in the elimination of the dreadful/boring OUT-n-BACK between MK and AK.

If that happened I might think about coming out of retirement.

M&M McFlurry John
OMG I didn't notice the SAFD at the beginning at first and almost fell out of my chair!

Add me to the list of tattoo avoiders. They are just too permanent for my comfort. Tastes change and evolve and I don’t see myself committing to that kind of permanence. Plus I’ve watched DD25 (DD18 then) make an epically, epically bad tattoo choice that is equal parts stupid, hilarious and cringe-worthy.
Well, it's what they do at 18 now, so I guess ppl will have to get used to it...

(Part of the 'cringe' thing - which can be real on the part of parents and family members - is that one suddenly realizes that they have grown up, and it can be hard suddenly to internalize suddenly.)

Well, it's what they do at 18 now, so I guess ppl will have to get used to it...

(Part of the 'cringe' thing - which can be real on the part of parents and family members - is that one suddenly realizes that they have grown up, and it can be hard suddenly to internalize suddenly.)

There are some rather hilarious web sites and Tumblr threads devoted to the art of the horribly bad tattoo. I'm very thankful the artist who did mine is top-notch and will never have any of his work appear on those sites. :)

SAFD: runDisney-related- I would love the option of being picked up by Magical Express at MCO and taken directly to the Expo. And my bags would magically show up at my resort. Also, a pre-printed list in the race guide of which characters will be on the course and where. And maybe a way to vote beforehand on which rare characters you would most want to see and they would include the top 5 winners or something like that.

other: Choosing your resort room from the app/site (like airline seats)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter